THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    260/6.5x55 owners, tried any 130 AB's?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

260/6.5x55 owners, tried any 130 AB's?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Just wondering what velocities anyone is getting with these Nosler bullets, please give bbl length/load if possible, thanks.

Also any accuracy reports. Thanks.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Free bump.

I've never been able to develop an interest in the 130 AB. I can't get my 6.5x55 to generate enough velocity to make a bonded bullet useful - the 129 Interlock stays together fine and is really plenty accurate enough for my purposes - and cheaper.

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
Free bump.

I've never been able to develop an interest in the 130 AB. I can't get my 6.5x55 to generate enough velocity to make a bonded bullet useful - the 129 Interlock stays together fine and is really plenty accurate enough for my purposes - and cheaper.

Same here thumb

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried some of these in my rem 260/24in barrel just before hunting season,been looking for my data sheet but cannot find it.
I didn't get to check any speeds because my chrony was on the blink,I jst received a ced chrony yesterday and I will try to shoot some more of the accrubonds next week and get some speeds and group sizes.
I do remember I didn't get any one holers but don't remember the exact group sizes I did get.Was going to try the 130's on deer this past season but decided to try a different bullet in my 7/08 on deer.
I saw where hornady was comeing out with a 120 gr a-max and this should be a awesome bullet also.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owensby:

I saw where hornady was comeing out with a 120 gr a-max and this should be a awesome bullet also.

The 140 has been touted as a great long range hunting bullet esp. on deer, 120 should mirror.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried the 130's this morning and wasn't too impressed with them,only got one good group out of the 4 I tried.
A3100-46.5= 2695- .410 in. 100yds
" 47.0= 2716- 1.098 in
W760-41.5= 2563- 1.071 in
" -43.5= 2713- 1.122 in
Was useing a 24 in barrel and thought the velocity should have been a little higher,but my buddie shot a 3 shot group across his pact chrony and got only 2 fps differance.
It was very foggy this morning and the dots were pretty blurry so don't know if they would have been any better or not.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Owensby,

I wonder if the bearing surface is longer than say the 129's, as those often come surprisingly close in speed to 120's. 1moa is not bad, but like you, I strive for half when possible or better. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried the hornady 129 sst's before and got about the same results with them,Just set up another rem BDL for another fellow last month and it didn't like the 129's much either.
But the sierra 85,100 hornady and BT and the 120 BT,sierra match 120 are mostly one holers at 100 yds.I use the 120 sie match mostly for deer here,the fartherest one has been 442 yds.The 100's work great on deer also.
For some reason I have gotten better groups with even the 140's out of these remingtons.
I have a 26 in barrel with 8 twist on order from shelin so maybe it will shoot the 129's and 130's better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't seem to locate any of the 130 Accubonds to try. I've tried several places and everyone is "out of stock" with some saying no backorder. I was wondering if there is a problem with the bullet.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't have any velocity numbers since my chrony was down the day I took them to the range, but I am currently shooting 130 ABs in my sporterized Swede. I've got a 20" light contour sporter barrel with a 1 in 9" twist on an M96 action in a sporter stock. The load I'm shooting is 45 gr of RL-22 with CCI LR primers, Lapua brass and AB 130s. I got .5" groups the first range day a couple of weeks before the season and decided to call it good enough for the year and spend my time on other projects. I am pretty confident I can get the groups down if I decide to spend the time working on it during the off season. I am very happy with the performance of this bullet on the game I shot with it this year. I took an 8pt whitetail at ~35 yds and a very large cow elk at 80yds this fall. Both animals were one shot kills with perfect exit wounds. The ABs may be a little more expensive, but I don't shoot enough of them to make that much of a deciding factor. I wanted a bullet that would hold together for elk and the 130 ABs shot better than the 140 Nosler partitions in my rifle so that's what I went with.

In my opinion, getting too concerned with MV in a 6.5x55 kind of defeats the beauty of the round, especially in a relatively light, easier carrying rifle like I have. If I was willing to give up the light recoil for higher velocity, I would use something else. When I feel like carrying a heavier, rifle with a nice little push out in the field I can always take my .416 Rigby, which also does a nice job on the local deer.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Agree, no need trying to hotrod a few extra fps for no gain.... sounds like a solid killer for guns that shoot them....can't argue using ab vs pt, all reports heard, ab is a good killing bullet.