New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5mm H mantle bullets.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I won the auction today on some 6.5mm, 154 grain RWS H mantle bullets. I believe they are similar to the partition except that these have a good sized hollow point. I have never used any. Does anyone have any experience with them, particularly in the 6.5x54? Thanks.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I have used the 258grain 9.3mm H-Mantle in my 93x62 with excellent results and I swear by the 7mm 173grain H-Mantle in my 7x57. They are of extremely high quality.

The earlier ones were very soft, however I believe later versions have an inner steel jacket. I've never run a magnet over them to find out though. In the 7mm 173 grain, the front section sheds off very quickly, leaving a 150 grain flat faced cylinder that penetrates straight, forever. I have shot numerous mature male Camels (similar in size to a full grown moose) without complaint.

Your 6.5 version will do exactly the same. Expect more than adequate penetration Cool .

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded a box of the H-Mantle 154s for a trip to Africa MANY years ago for use in my 264 for camp food and possible leopard. Mistakenly [grabbed the wrong box in the dark]used the 140 Sierras for the leopard but did shoot the RWS for Eland and they worked fine but then again? So did the Sierra Gamekings.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bohica:
I loaded a box of the H-Mantle 154s for a trip to Africa MANY years ago for use in my 264 for camp food and possible leopard. Mistakenly [grabbed the wrong box in the dark]used the 140 Sierras for the leopard but did shoot the RWS for Eland and they worked fine but then again? So did the Sierra Gamekings.
Aloha, Mark

As they would

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do incredible internal damage, but rarely exit on bigger animals.

A friend of mine uses the RWS H-Mantle load in her custom 8X68S on her ranch in the Khomas Hochland in Namibia.

That load rolls mountain zebra....it's "boots in the air" animal

And hardly ever gets an exit.......which is what she wants as she is shooting for skins.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
A good bullet that does shed a good percentage of its weight BUT that is how it was designed.
Like many of RWS offerings the are designed to retain the lower two thirds for penetration with the top third creating shards for maximum damage.
Penetration and damage combined.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the replies. I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote