THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Remington LSS Mtn. Rifle - Part Deux

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington LSS Mtn. Rifle - Part Deux
 Login/Join

<6.5 Mtn Rifle>
posted
My old topic on my new rifle was getting pretty long, took too long to load up on my PC.

Anyways, I created this thread to update anybody who's interested in my new Remington Model 700 LSS Mountain Rifle in 260 Remington. So far, I've shot about 70-75 rounds through it, and it's been great. Accuracy has been an average 1.7" 5 shots @ 100 yards. I shot 120 gr. handloads last weekend, they averaged about the same.

I'm heading out to the range in a few hours, conditions are great, and I'll see what I can do with the 140 gr. Hornady.

<6.5 Mtn Rifle>
posted
I just got back from shooting the 140 gr. Hornady bullet with 4 different powders, here are my results :

RL19 - 1.59"

IMR 4831 - 1.59"

IMR 7828 - 1.88"

H4831 - 2.16"

All groups were 5 shots at 100 yards. The RL19 load and the IMR 4831 load shot very similar. In each of these groups, 4 shots were within .8". These were my first two groups, the groups got a little bigger with each group. I think I will clean the barrel good, fire 3 shots, then shoot each of these loads once more. I will go in opposite order this time, to see if a dirty barrel was leading to larger groups. I'll load them tonight, and hopefully get out and shoot on Sunday.

<6.5 Mtn Rifle>
posted
I got back from the range today, it was a little breezy, but not too bad. I shot the 4 diff. powders, same as yesterday, but in the opposite order, to see if fouling had anything to do with groups getting bigger as the day went on Sat.

Here are my results :

H4831 (44.8 grs.) - 2.16"

IMR 7828 (45.6 grs.) - 1.38"

IMR 4831 (43.2 grs.) - 1.75"

RL19 (44 grs.) - 1.69"

All groups were 5 shots at 100 yards. The only difference between these loads today, and the ones I shot yesterday, was an increase of .5 grs. of powder in each one.

My average groups now look like this, after 2 groups of 5 shots :

IMR 7828 - 1.63"

RL19 - 1.64"

IMR 4831 - 1.67"

H4831 - 2.16"

I will do no more loads with H4831, it seems to be lagging behind the other three. It shoots 1.6" with the 120 gr. BT though. The IMR 4831 & 7828 groups both had 4 shots in .8", with a flyer opening up some.

I need to pick up some more 140 gr. Hornady bullets, I'm all out!

<6.5 Mtn Rifle>
posted
I just traded my rifle. A guy I know had a Weatherby Accumark in 243 Winchester. He really liked my 260, and wanted to trade. His Weatherby was too heavy he said. After shooting a few groups with his rifle(under .5" 5 shot), I agreed to trade. Too good of a deal to resist.

The rifle I have now is great. It has the barrel chopped to 18", so it is handy in the bush. Weight is still more than my old 260, but I don't mind it too much.

Time to load up some 243!

posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle in 7-08 and it shoots the the same. I'm going to play with it a little more and if I can't get it to group I'll rebarrel it. I'll keep it regardless 'cause I like how it feels and unless I shoot over 300 yards(stretching it for a 7-08)it'll do whatever needs
done for deer. [Frown]
Randy

Posts: 38 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote