THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    17 HRM comparisons and discussion

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 HRM comparisons and discussion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
I'm considering adding a LH bolt rifle in 17 HRM and am looking at 3 possibilities.
They are:
CZ 452 American
Anschutz 1517L D Clasic
Browning T-Bolt

The T-Bolt is not yet available and I don't know when it may arrive. I own a CZ 452 in .22LR and like it very much but I'm led to believe the Anschutz is the best of all.

Is the anschutz that much better and more accurate than the CZ? I can buy the CZ and a scope for what it will cost for the Anschutz alone but I'm okay with buying it if it's that much better. Your thoughts?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your decision to buy a .17HMR. A buddy and I bought Savages, his a right hand, mine a lefty, and both shoot exceptionally well...under an inch at 100yds. That said, I'd like one of the Anschutz just for the classy looks.
Max

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, for some reason I had never seen the rimfire forum.

Mods, please move this to the rimfire forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Cliff, If you will go up to the "Find" button and wham in - 17HMR, Alberta Canuck - I think you will locate an interesting post he made on them here on Small Calibers.

As well as I can remember, he mentioned how the inexpensive Marlins and Savages were whupping-up on the guys who had "Tricked Out" 22RimFires. Can't remember all of it, and some of it might have been in a PM where we were discussing it.

Anyway, I've not got one and can't say anything from experience about them. Only complaint I remember seeing anywhere, is the cost of the ammo.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Savage 93 will touch holes most of the time at 100 yards.
I like the 20gr better than the 17gr.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howdy Cliff.
I have an Anschutz MPR with the barrel cut from 26 inches to 20 inches to make it a better truck gun. I also have a CZ 452 in HMR.
The Anschutz has a better stock trigger but with Eric Brooks (Brookie)trigger kit for about $15.00 and a tiny bit of work my CZ trigger breaks at a crisp 1 1/2lbs.
The Anschutz is a considerable amount more expensive but will certainly have a better resale.
Both my Anschutz and CZ are extremely accurate and I can't honestly say one is more accurate than the other.
I like both very much and there is no bad choice to be made here.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Although a little heavy, but I really liked my Volquartsen. It's the price of the ammo I didn't like, so I sold it. Too bad Volquartsen threads their barrels on instead of using the block like Ruger, then I could have changed it to a 22 mag. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Good information. Thanks to all.

One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin 917V that is not bad. I shoot objects as opposed to paper. Golf balls at 100 yards are fun, but I never find them after the 1st shot. Mine likes the 20gr bullets better, which suits me fine. Woodchucks don't fair well at 150 yards. Their heads kind of pop. I mounted an old 6-24x40mmAO on mine. Fun little gun. All that being said, my Browning A-bolt .22WMR is a better shooter. But they are apples and oranges.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
Howdy Cliff.
I have an Anschutz MPR with the barrel cut from 26 inches to 20 inches to make it a better truck gun. I also have a CZ 452 in HMR.
The Anschutz has a better stock trigger but with Eric Brooks (Brookie)trigger kit for about $15.00 and a tiny bit of work my CZ trigger breaks at a crisp 1 1/2lbs.
The Anschutz is a considerable amount more expensive but will certainly have a better resale.
Both my Anschutz and CZ are extremely accurate and I can't honestly say one is more accurate than the other.
I like both very much and there is no bad choice to be made here.

And this is the crux of the problem. I want to buy an Anschutz but I am not certain if it will outshoot the CZ. Now I have found a Browning T-Bolt so I'm all flummoxed over which way to go. Buying 2 is not an option...right now, anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first year I got my CZ HMR I shot it a lot both at the range and on gophers. I can tell you that one morning at the range with good conditions my rifle shot 9 consecutive 5shot groups at 100 yards that agg'd a .72. The smallest group was in the .4's and the largest was a 1.2 inch group. I was using a 6X20 Weaver Grand Slam scope and to say I was pleased is an understatement, I paid under $350.00 for that rifle then. A rim fire that cost that kinda money that averaged under 3/4 inch at 100 yards for 5 shot groups impressed the heck outta me.
I know on some web sites everyones HMR's seem to agg 1/4 inch groups but the cynic in me suspects a bit of "internet shrinkage". Call me a skeptic.
The Anschutz MPR I mentioned I haven't spent the range time with like the CZ but on the first day I got it from a friend I mounted another Weaver 6X20 Grand Slam on it and after a quick sight in shot this group on a "Shoot-N-See" target some slob hadn't pulled at our range. It was just cranked out at 100 yards as I was off to slay gophers, I can tell ya I called the one on the left when I yanked it Frowner , I was aiming at the S in Shoot-N-See.

As I mentioned I couldn't honestly swear that after a $15.00 Brookies trigger kit on the CZ either would out whack gophers over the other. The CZ and Anschutz are the ones I'm familiar with I know nothing about the Browning. I can say the Browning isn't one I've heard a lot of chatter about in the accuracy debates but I don't know if that means anything or not.
To me the CZ wins if on a budget and the Anschutz if not. I mean no disrespect to anyones favorite rifle by that.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never had an Anchutz in 17HMR. I have shot a CZ in HMR. With that being said, I have shot an Anchutz in HM2 and was impressed!! I have owned/shot in, 38 different 17HMR's from Marlin, Savage, Ruger, CZ, NEF, and Remington(597 even!!) and the thing that was impressive to me was that ALL of them could be counted on to shoot 5 shots under an inch at 100 yards!! From a rimfire!! Most absolutely amazing little cartridge ever to come down the pike! My personal 17HMR is a Marlin 917V that has roughly 5000 rounds thru it. Still shoots the same! 200 yards.........it has done and will probably still do .840"!!! The new 22MAG ammo(that was only done because the 17HMR was going to relegate the 22MAG into obsolescence) using the 30 grain Hornady VMAXS or the 33 grain Noslers is impressive also! The accuracy of those rounds in tested firearms has been impressive along with the chronograph data. But I still like the 17HMR! It is a legitamate 150 yard performer on vermin.(Only reason I say "150" is because I also firmly believe that any 17HMR deserves a good piece of glass on it! It is that accurate!! My favorite way to glas a 17HMR is with a Nikon 4.5-14 Buckmaster Nikoplex. I have used them with everthing from Trashco World Class 3-9's to Leupold VX-III's in 6.5-20.........the Nikon 4.5-14 wins.......on a USABLE SCALE AND AFFORDABILITY SCALE. Bottom line is, the 17HMR is a head turner and accurate little beast. And knowing the machining characteristics of CZ and also ANCHUTZ, if you've got the jack to spend on it go ahead. But it's not necesary to have to appreciate the 17HMR!!! And I didn't even mention not having to pick up brass!! Long live the 17HMR!!! GHD PS: My longest,witnessed,measured confirmed kill on a groundhog with the 17HMR is 236 yards. I do not recommend these kinds of shots for everyone!! The 17HMR is a definite 150 yard varminter.

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Mont &GHD, thanks to both of you for spending time on your responses. Its helpful. Regarding the Browning, the .17HRM and 22 Mag are fairly recent introductions so I don't know how many are actually floating around out there.
It appears, judging by your posts, a guy can't go too wrong with any of the rifles chambered in this caliber. Thanks for the information.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
The clubs I frequent no longer allow .17HMR in comps, as it's too close to call! Cool, I use my .17 for rabbit control, a little expensive I know but great shooting, just a little drawback, the L'il Gun powder they load em with burns a bit dirty, so mods need a watchful eye for fouling! Big Grin

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post

Several thoughts....

1. That's a big dime!
2. Not a bad group for 12 yds and that 8 x 25 Leupold scope is really working out for you...

( Just messing with ya Doug... Big Grin )

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a lesson from Cooper Seafire. Those Cooper one-holers are shot at 38 yards indoors down a hallway with rifle boxes down both sides and using a 36 power scope, I shot one a my problem child Coopers there and it gave me the idea Big Grin. (True story about the hallway and shooting there!)
I shoot all my groups in my garage now at 28ft. with the rifle in a vise. By the way that dime is a re-stamped silver dollar, looks good huh Wink.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To add to what GHD stated about the accuracy most of em show I thought I'd post this picture of an Anschutz HMR handgun I got a few years back when CDNN Sports down in Texas had a sale on em. It has a 10 inch barrel.

The first trip to the range I shot these two groups, one at 50 yards and the other at 100, I was into pulling one of each group high and right that day.

Those were shot with a 6X scope and a 10 inch barrel. They pleased me silly for what I paid for that thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a relative in New Mexico who has 3-4 17HMRs. His Savage has over 6000 rounds through it from prairie dog shooting. He's worn out two sets of extractors but it still will take out a dog at 200 yds. He uses Bushnell BDC scopes made for the .17HMR.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I have had a hard time warming up to the 17 HMR...

even tho I own 3 of them and have given a forth one away to a handicapped individual on a budget who wanted one so badly...

however a couple of developments in the market have changed my mind on the round finally...

I thought ammo was too spendy to handle, consider what I can handload a more cost effective and performance effective 223 for..

BUT...

with that new 20 grain FMJ bullet being loaded, this doubles the penetration capability of the round...

and also increases the size of critters it will instantly kill...

I also picked up a couple of 25 round Shooter's Ridge double stack mags for my Ruger 77/17, for a lowly $18.00 each...

now I have a rig I can love!

it isn't explosive enough for me on sage rats, and too spendy for volume shooting....

but I sure like out stalking for varmints or using it for calling, with that 25 round mag and that 20 gr FMJ...

now I just need a high magnification scope than that Weaver 3 x 9 on it now...

I also like the round for a truck gun, when it is chambered in my New England Single Shot...with a nice black synthetic stock and heavy barrel..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:

I also like the round for a truck gun, when it is chambered in my New England Single Shot...with a nice black synthetic stock and heavy barrel..

Something like this?

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
yeah Zeke,

sumpin like that!

tack drivers ain't they??

picked mine up originally for $109.00 at Bi Mart...

can't beat it!

mine wears only a 3 x 9 Tasco...otherwise ours are twins...

a buddy of mine who is a gunsmith on T/Cs and NEF's told me I ought to pick up one of those, and order another barrel in 17 HMR and he would bore it out for me to 17 Fireball...

been giving that some serious thoughts...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have three 17HMRs, a Winchester 9417, a CZ 452 LH and a LH Browning T-Bolt. All have Bushnell BDC scopes calibrated for the 17 grain bullet. The Browning is very light but has a terrible trigger pull. I'll work on that. The 9417 is fast but not as accurate as the CZ. The CZ is the heaviest. When I want to hit something I pick up the CZ. I've killed squirrels at 80 yards and groundhogs at 125 yds. I keep buying ammo when Cabelas has free shipping. I shoot this caliber about ten times as much as any other single caliber except .22 LR. I'm going to make a walkabout rifle in 17 Fireball based upon my good experience with the 17HMR.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
yeah Zeke,

sumpin like that!

tack drivers ain't they??

picked mine up originally for $109.00 at Bi Mart...

can't beat it!

mine wears only a 3 x 9 Tasco...otherwise ours are twins...

a buddy of mine who is a gunsmith on T/Cs and NEF's told me I ought to pick up one of those, and order another barrel in 17 HMR and he would bore it out for me to 17 Fireball...

been giving that some serious thoughts...

I live a 1/2 a block from a Bi-Mart. That can be dangerous sometimes.

The scope is a Trashco 6x24x42. This gun shines at 14-18x. Out to 150yds this is a serious varmint sniper. At that range it's better than my spendy AR15.

I bobbed the hammer to clear the scope.
I also used some strategically placed O-rings to semi-float the forearm.

This gun is a steal.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Savage 93 (pre accutrigger) with a BSA Sweet 17 scope. Shot quite well out to 100 yards but the trigger was so bad that I had to concentrate so hard that it took the fun out of shooting it. I sold it but kept the two bricks of ammo.....I want another with a better trigger and a better scope.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my son a Savage 93 with a bull bbl and thumbhole stock. I have a tough time imagining a better out of the box rifle.

Posts: 16133 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote