THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    what to build off this short action?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what to build off this short action?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
have bought a remington 700 short action standard .473 bolt face . its been trued, trigger worked. has no barrel on it at the moment.

wanted something for a bit of mid range varminting and a little deer shooting.

was thinking maybe 6mm284 or 25-284.

im thinking something off the 308 case or 284case. pref the 284 for a little more oomph. not a 6.5mm

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 25-284 for is s great killer. Does require some case prep. Take a look at the 257 Bob, the 25-284 is faster, but you will see no real difference between the 2. A 257 shooting 100gr TSX at 3100 fps is all you would ned.

Posts: 276 | Location: MId-Michigan (back in the States) | Registered: 21 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul

I would go with either the 6,5x284 or the 260 Rem.

Both are factory cartridges so brass, dies and loading data are readily avialable.

If you just cannot stand a 6,5 then just build a 243WCF.

All 3 of my choices eleminate any fussing about with custom dies and forming cases.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul from NZ:
I want something for a bit of mid-range varminting and a little deer shooting.

I was thinking maybe 6mm284 or 25-284.

I'm thinking something off the 308 case or 284 case. Prefer the 284 for a little more oomph.

I like your 25-284 idea. The caliber is right for what you want to do, and the 284 will be better in the short action than the 57mm case. The case will only require necking down, not fire-forming. No extra work, really; just a trim. If an intermediate sizing step is desired, your seater with the stem removed may suffice. Redding and Hornady both list the dies. You'll have a short-action 25-06.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Well, a 6BR would be a strong contender in my book, forgetting ft. lbs, proper bullets placed well will kill deer to 400 yds, varmints further, and accuracy w/o peer but it sounds like you want MORE powder and all, oh, the BR has a decent bbl life if that matters to you.

A 6x47 Lapua (uses 6.5 Lapua brass) has been making many happy w/accuracy and has a tad more reach, and can use the new 115 DTACs but less bbl life than the BR.

Flat, light recoil, bug hole accuracy, great case life (better w/BR), and bbl life good.....not much not to like IMHO.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a 25-08. i read a article that Van Zwool wrote about this cartridge in his deer rifles book. I believe it was built by Charlie Sisk. Seems like it would be fun.

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Either a .260 or 7-08 would work nice and they wouldn't have problems feeding from the magazine like a fatter (.284) cartridge might.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is hard to beat the 25-284 for larger varmints and medium game. Shoot 75 grain VMax for varmints and 100 grain Partitions for medium game.

If I was limited to 1 rifle/cartridge combination to shoot varmints and medium game, it would be a 25-284 with a 23" #2 or #3 contour stainless barrel bedded into a McMillan Mountain Rifle swirley stock. I'd probably go with a Stiller Predator action in lieu of the Remington 700, but if it was my only rifle, I'd spend the extra $$ on the action.

Jeff

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The short a action is a bit short for the 6.5/284. Do a 25 Souper instead. You will be pleased!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
.25 Souper or .243 would be much easier to work through the action. I have a 6.5/284 on an action as you describe, and the rounds don't feed worth a damn from the magazine. I didb't care about that when i built the rifle as I was interested in the cartridge's performance. That said for a field rifle, it should work with the magazine.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nothing against 6.5mm at all, just didnt want to go that big, only 7thou in it i guess!

the 25 souper..thats not a bad idea at all. serious thought will be put in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did a .243 Ackley on mine . Rounds fit in the magazine unless you load VLD's .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
What is the 25 Souper? Will someone describe it to me please?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 25 Souper is a 308 Winchester necked down to 25 caliber.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, after I listed my question I googled it and found several articles on it, including the one by Raab.
This might be a fun caliber to have and easier to make brass for.

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
How does the 25 Souper compare to the 25-284? By the way, I think loaddata.com has data on both rounds.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 284 case is very close to the 280 Rem case in capacity, with the 280 holding 95 grains of water, and the 284 holding 92 grains. So, the 25-284 would be like a 25-06 as the 280 case is off an 06 case, and the 25 Souper is really a 25-308. The 308 case holds 78 grains of water. Velocity will be lower with the Super than with the 25-284.
The big advantage if you're a short action fan is the 25-284 works in the short action, and a 25-06 requires a long action.
I have a 284 Winchester and feel the case design is excellent. Feeding is an issue however, but mine is set up as a long range varmint rifle with a heavy barrel and I only shoot it single shot. It's on a 98 action.
I personally like the idea of a 25 Souper as it works well in a short action. But, I had a 250 Savage AI built up instead of a 25 Souper.. Big Grin
Someday I'll have a 25 Souper.
The 25 Souper, and the 250 AI are about equal to a 257 Roberts in performance. Not enough difference to argue over.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just to go completely against the grain, what about a 6XC?? i like the sound of that one. doesnt even have a word in it...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, sent the action off to the gunsmith.

decided i would go with a 6X47 Lapua. after 6.5br mentioned it i did some research and had a yarn to a guy who has one. actually quite liked the sound of it from the start!

going to be a rem700 action that will be trued, having a 30" lilja put on it, number 8 contour i believe. and a mcmillan A5 stock. only putting a barrel that long on because the local shop had that instore, never owned a 30" barrel befor and since i was paying for it i was sure gonna use it all! plus when the barrels shot out i can cut the barrel back to 26" and start again.

cant wait till i get it back!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
257 Roberts + 100gr TSX + RL19

I do like the idea of the 25 Souper but the costs and time go way up....Find the reamer,Find the Dies, Form the Case, etc......

Robert

Bruz

"Honor,Courage and Character"

NRA Lifetime Member

Posts: 342 | Location: Jawja | Registered: 20 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, unless you get a prety long barrel, , stay with the .308 case.
The .284 case will just have you burning more powder , and you will not see much if any increase.
I would go with the Roberts. But You seem to want the shorter case. Then I might go 25 souper or .243.
Both great rounds.
MY favorite deer bullet is the .257 100 grain TSX.
One of the most acurate bullets in a variety of rifles , I have ever come across.
Bruz says Roberts RL-19 and the 100 grain TSX. Probably a great combo. I use H-414 in the Roberts with that bullet.
Others swear by H-4350.
The old .257 Roberts is a fantastic round, and the notion that it needs a long action is incorect.
My Ruger is buit on a long action and the loads I have for my Roberts that are just off the lands with a 120 grain partition fit just fine in a ruger short action mag...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Unless you want a wildcat, many of which have already been mentioned. Sounds like the venerable 243 will serve your needs well. For me I would go with either the 243 or 260. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Just for my own use,

I am looking at doing a 257 AI varmint barrel.. I know a few guys tried them for prairie dogs this year.. and were looking at 3700 fps out of them with 75 grain VMaxes..so they claimed...

anyway, sounds like fun for a while..tell the barrel gets fried...

maybe there will be enough left to make it into a 25 BR after wards... banana

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the answer obvious?

250/3000 or 300 savage of course

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is the 25 Souper? Will someone describe it to me please?

Go to ammoguide.com and look it up under the visual comparison tool. I'm a paid member there. It's a great site for all types of reloadin' info and stuff. I especially like their Cartridge Creator tool.

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
260 rem! with a 1-8 or 1-9 twist barrel!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote