Tools

6.5mm hunting bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
Fjold, nice set up, a buddy of mine had a carbine 22" rifle made in 6.5BR on an MOA single shot pistol action, that gun shot those 100's just like yours if not better. VERY accurate. Although less BC and more explosive, the Sierra's HP might do very well I believe, and Hornady's 100's would be more controlled on game. A less expensive alternative, at least for practice anyway.

Again, nice set up. Given the 6.5/284 being faster than smaller rounds, did you use a 9 twist?

I used a 8.5" twist because the gun was built to shoot the 142 grain Sierra MatchKing at 1,000 yards for prairie dogs and coyotes.

I only tried the 100 grain bullets because I wanted to shoot an antelope with it and out to 500 yards not many other bullets shoot flatter.

At 11.5 Lbs fully loaded I'll leave it at camp the next time I tramp 5 miles into the hills chasing speed goats

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fjold

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blackhawk,

What accuracy with 129's? 9 twist is ok up to that, but I know they often won't cut it with heavy bullets in that case.

The accuracy was great with the 129s out of the Kimber. I had 3 touching at 100 meters with a warm barrel. With the load I'm using, it should be perfect for whitetails (~2750-2800 fps give or take, no chrono). The accuracy with Remington 140gr factory loads was for crap, hence the choice to handload some 129s.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Then it sounds like Kimber can handle the 129'
s with 9 spin, I would consider buying one but have hesitated due to to it not having an 8 twist, I want to shoot 85-160s should I desire, but in reality, one good bullet like a 125 or 129 will do for MOST game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
have used a 120 core lokt in a 6.5x55 loaded hot ina modern action using European brass and it held up very well on ferals.

The 140 Core-lokt would be just more of a good thing esp with the velocities that the 6.5x284 can get.

129 Hornadys hold together well also- haven't tried any of the SST's yet so have no comment there.

THe 123 Lapua is also a very good game getter.

later
p

Posts: 66 | Location: Melbourne, Vic Australia | Registered: 02 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I used the 140 Gr SST Hornady bullet to shoot two mule deer with lung shots. The bullet M V is 3180 ft/sec out of my 264 Winchester. The deer droped when hit. Ill use the same load next mo for deer hunting.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
The funny thing about 6.5 bullets, it is rare to see anyone complain that they find one that does NOT work!

It seems they ALL work with shot placement, something to appreciate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rack up another buck -8 points- for the Mega!

Fell to the shot! dancing

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cewe:
Rack up another buck -8 points- for the Mega!

Fell to the shot! dancing

cewe,

Are you handloading or using factory loads? The Megas do intrigue me for use in my 6.5x55.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The funny thing about 6.5 bullets, it is rare to see anyone complain that they find one that does NOT work!

It seems they ALL work with shot placement, something to appreciate.

maybe everyone who shoots a 6.5 is has some experience in shooting at animals and know where to put it! as i found out this year shot placement is everything! i took a nice red stag with one shot from the 303 british, a 150gr doing 2300FPS, my brother and his 308 with 150s doing 2800FPS took 4 shots compared to my one.

both shot at a very similar distance.

shows how shot placement really counts.

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote