THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Does this sound like a fair price?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does this sound like a fair price?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
At our gun show today, I spotted a complete Greek military Mannlicher-Schoenauer barreled action. The barrel has strong rifling, which is more than a bit dark. The action and magazine are in quite good functioning condition, though there is little bit of rust pitting on the outside edge of the bottom-metal (none on the action-body itself). The bolt is unaltered, no aditional holes have been drilled anywhere, and with a bit of work at home, it could be made to look primo. There is NO wood.

Chambering is still the original 6.5 M/S.

Asking price is $106. Does that sound fair for one of these military jobs?

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $106, even if it is a flop, you aren't that bad off. Do It!

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
For $106, even if it is a flop, you aren't that bad off. Do It!

Thanks, Madden - I just needed a little push. I think I'll do it.

Surely the action and magazine are worth that much anyway. I have a 6.5 x54 reamer, and a spare 6.5 barrel blank or three lying about and still do my own barreling, so if push came to shove, I could always rebarrel it. The only thing I would have to get done (because I hate even trying to do them) is altering the bolt handle to get rid of that humongous military blob-knob on the end. Shouldn't cost too much to get a nice butterknife handle tacked on there after removing the military handle...or just maybe do some forging alteration to the existing handle.

Thanks again....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you think its a fair price then it is

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
go for it !!

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know I'm gonna hate myself soon for this, but I didn't buy it. On looking again, price was not $106, but just plain $100. And, I'm sure I could have bought it for less than that.

But, as I had just bought a VZ-24 action, and last week bought a 6.5x57 reamer, logic finally overcame lust. Am going to build my .318 WR on the VZ-24, but I might as well make it into a switch-barrel rifle while I'm doing it, and put the second barrel on as a 6.5x57. Less money, and less work....and should shoot as well or better.

But dang, it won't be as smooth, or as "trick" as that nice M/S action. BTW, NOBODY bought the M/S, so maybe I'll weaken in a few days and call him at home.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I`m gonna cry!!!!!

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you don't need it, send me a PM and I'll relieve you of the current tension and unrest in your life.

Buy it!! Dang it!

Rich
DRSS
knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy it!! The parts are worth more than that !!!!

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
Buy it and sell it to me!!

When you need it and don't have it you'll be singing a different tune.

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay,OKAY!! I called him this evening & bought it!!

I'm still not sure whether I owe you guys for for your help talking me into this, or if you owe me, for bullying me into spending more money.

Now, does any of you know where I an get an inexpensive stock for a Greek mannlicher?

Must admit, the good side of this is that while I was chatting with the seller, I asked about an Argentine '09 bolt he had also had for sale last Sunday. Well, he doesn't have one anymore. BUT, when I told him I just wanted to convert it to a magnum bolt face for my VZ-24 without buggering up the original matching numbered bolt, he said, "Oh. Well, I've got 3 or 4 spare VZ-24 bolts for $15 apiece, if you want one of those...." I think that was kind of like telling Rosie O' that I have 3 or 4 extra banana splits, if she'd like one of them.

So now I have a spare bolt for the VZ too. I know I owe you guys for that one.....