THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    About the 6MM 85gr. Partition

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

About the 6MM 85gr. Partition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ordered 250 of them. I will be using it on just about anything you might shoot with a 243 and will try to get it up to 3200 fps out of my 22 inch barrel. Seems it will make a nice deer and hog round out to 300 yards or so. Anyone use it and what were you thoughts on it's performance?

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It'll work.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It work great.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I killed my first antelope with one back 20+ years ago. I shot them out of a 26" barrel using H4831 and got over 3300 fps.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you think they'll perform in the 2700 fps range?

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the 85 partition and 95 partition out of a styer carbine. Both work well. Stayed with a moderate load and 85 partition for my kids. Approx 3050 fps and this load drops the biggest boars easily. Also used on fallow deer with good results.
Cheers Mick
Storm and good boar, raking shot 40m. 85 partition Styer
Sage first pig , boar 90m 85 partition,
styer carbine

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a great bullet. 2700 fps is fine. The small to mid caliber Partitions open easy and fast even at low velocity. I have also shot deer under 50 yards with a 240 and still got complete penetration and a reasonable wound channel that didn't look like the deer jumped on a hand grenade. The 85 grain Sierra BTHP Game King is also fantastic from the 243, but is not as trustworthy with impact velocities at or over 3300FPS. TSX and Scirocco are also great, but both have occasion to pencil through without allot of expansion. The 85, 95, and 100 grain partitions will always expand at any reasonable velocity.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures! The young lady looks a lot like my grandaughter. How long is the barrel on the Steyr? It certainly does look like the bullet will do the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The styer has a 20 inch barrel. Very handy little carbine.Its been claimed by the youngest daughter Sage. cheers Mick

Posts: 104 | Registered: 15 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 85-grain Partitions should work fine.

That is a sweet little rifle. I got rid of my .243, but still have a 6mm. I use 100-grain Hornady Interlocks at 3000 fps and they work well on deer and antelope. I just ordered some 100-grain Partitions to try. In my 7mag, the Partitons hit same poi as the Interlocks, which made practice a lot easier. I hope the 6mm does the same.

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 80 grain TTSX out of my 243 with devastating effects. The 85 grain Partition should do just fine as well.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got them to 2685fps in my 6x45 before they got a little warm. Moly and a bushed firing pin will fix that deal.....

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Got 400 on the way so I'm hoping they shoot well. Have plenty of 243/6mm's to try them in but am hoping that they perform well in one particular 6mm Rem. Hoping to use the same load on Coyotes and Whitetail.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should shoot real well in both the 6mm and .243. They will probably be a little rough on hides, but that is what they make needles and dental floss for!

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work Ok and I have used them successfully in my 6x45 and in the 243 on deer, antelope and Plainsgame..they are not my choice however. they don't expand to a large enough cross section to suit me.

I am an avid Nosler partition fan but I prefer them in 30 caliber and larger as I have seen a few too many failures with them in 6mm caliber, most of the time they work, but sometimes blood trails are minimal if at all, and thats my gripe with partitions in 6mm caliber and even 25 and on one ocassion in a 270...

The bigger cross section of the 30 calibers and up that expands to twice their caliber or more leave good blood trails every time, and they are my go to bullet...

Its easy to draw a conclusion on a bullet with a few perfect kills, but when you have observed many kills, certain things seem to come to light and your opine may change over time. I seem to have had better luck with more fragile cup and core bullets such as 100 gr. Hornadys, Speer and Sierras...

Also I am not a 6mm fan for big game short of my little 6x45 coyote gun and its a decent deer gun at 100 yards and very careful bullet placement as is about any caliber. I put it in the same class as a 223 or 22-250, and when they are used properly within their range boundries it works just fine.

Just my take on the subject and argueable...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 85 grain Partitions in both a 6x45 mm and a 6mm-284, no complaints. One-shot kills on antelope, at relatively short ramges for the most part.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14621 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
They work Ok and I have used them successfully in my 6x45 and in the 243 on deer, antelope and Plainsgame..they are not my choice however. they don't expand to a large enough cross section to suit me.

I am an avid Nosler partition fan but I prefer them in 30 caliber and larger as I have seen a few too many failures with them in 6mm caliber, most of the time they work, but sometimes blood trails are minimal if at all, and thats my gripe with partitions in 6mm caliber and even 25 and on one ocassion in a 270...

The bigger cross section of the 30 calibers and up that expands to twice their caliber or more leave good blood trails every time, and they are my go to bullet...

Its easy to draw a conclusion on a bullet with a few perfect kills, but when you have observed many kills, certain things seem to come to light and your opine may change over time. I seem to have had better luck with more fragile cup and core bullets such as 100 gr. Hornadys, Speer and Sierras...

Also I am not a 6mm fan for big game short of my little 6x45 coyote gun and its a decent deer gun at 100 yards and very careful bullet placement as is about any caliber. I put it in the same class as a 223 or 22-250, and when they are used properly within their range boundries it works just fine.

Just my take on the subject and argueable...

I cannot comment on the Partitions in 6mm, as I have not used them. I do agree with your statement on the Hornady bullets. I have killed over 100 white-tailed deer out to 326 yards and several antelope with them and have never had what I would consider a failure. I have usually found blood trails, also. The 6mm range of rifles work fine on deer-sized game, but I agree with you that it is not my first choice. I really like my 7 mags!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The partition is a super bullet, my all time favorite in 30 caliber on up to the .416, it has never failed me in 60 plus years but it has on several ocassions with the .243 Win early on.

The partition opens up quickly and in high velocity rounds it sometimes blows the front end off and its quite the killer with that happens, but if it mushrooms and retains its core then the cross section is about 25 caliber or perhaps a tad more, and the wound closes up on entrance or gets pluged with fat, and even if it exits sometimes it closes or plugs with fat, and blood trails are nil to nada..I have seen this on more than a few oceassions and in every case recovery was big time tracking hard, and in some cases a failure. In all fairness to the bullet and caliber some of the shots were 300 and beyond, and that does not help small caliber performance for sure. but if your going to take those kinds of shots then be responsible enough to use more gun, its always best to be overgunned when possible, but growing up in the Big Depression era on a West Texas ranch and on a Mexico ranch, where money was tight as hell, I learned early on how important it is to know the capabilites of whatever rifle was to be used, they all work but you have to make allowences for caliber in every case and .22 L. R.s were the cheapest.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no replacement for displacement. Size matters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They arrived and they seem a bit too pointed to be called semi spitzers. Testing soon. They also look to have less exposed lead than in 16bores picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is whatcha get after a run through the moly bowl, and another .025"

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I shoot 95 grain bergers mostly now--but shot 85 grains "parts" out of my 6BR before the bergers as my deer bullet...it will work.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife and I killed several whitetail deer with a 243 and the 95 grain partition, and she also killed a couple of big bodied mule deer and several antelope at distances to 300 yards.

It always worked 100%. Only recovered one bullet, and that was from a whitetail doe I shot facing me at around 125 yards or so. It was recovered perfectly expanded in the rear ham.

The 85gr should work fine as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot some of these out of my 6MM Remington that just got a new barrel. I used 46.0 grs. of WC 852 and WolfMag primers. They shot great putting three into 3/4ths of an inch from a slim contoured barrel. Went behind the backstop to dig one up and found that it was holding together complete with front core against some pretty tough dirt with small rocks in it. The 100gr. Sierra Pro hunter's I also shot turned into flattened jacket metal with no core just for comparison.