THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Hornady brass /.257 Weatherby.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady brass /.257 Weatherby.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I use Hornady brass in a couple of calibers, 300 WM is one, its quality brass IMO. I am on my 6th reload, one grain under max, only one trim needed primer pockets are as tight as new.

That said, and with the good performance I have been having I decided to try Hornady brass in my 257 Roy. The factory Weatherby (Norma) is soft IMO and my 257 likes loads right near max. I have loose primer pockets by my third reload.

Anyway I received a hundred pieces of Hornady brass, I prepped them and loaded them with a starting load of RL-22. After the first shot I had to beat my bolt handle up, I was 4 grains under the exact same (book) load I use in my Norma brass, same bullet, powder, primer, and OAL.

When I got home I pulled the bullets, dumped and weighed the powder (charges were perfect) then I took the fired case and filled it with water, then took a fired Norma case and did the same. The difference was 5 grains of water! My starting load with the Hornady was a grain over max!! I know there are differences between brands, but 5 grains is almost a different caliber!

I wrote this as a warning, but also a question. Has anyone loaded their 257 Roy with Hornady brass? What was your experience? I have not had a problem like this in other calibers with Hornady, just the 257.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On second thought, I probably should have posted this in the reloading forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
d-d,

Well, each rifle is a "Law-unto-Itself".

From our perspective, the Norma "Weatherby" brass was too expensive.

We chose Hornady and it worked perfectly w/top loads but didn't include "pushing-the-envelope", either.

Primer pockets have remained tight w/Hodgdon's max loads.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure it was 5 grains of water?
Have you weighed the two cases. If the volume difference is 5 grains the weight difference should be 40 grains and I find that hard to believe.

quote:
Originally posted by doubledown:
I use Hornady brass in a couple of calibers, 300 WM is one, its quality brass IMO. I am on my 6th reload, one grain under max, only one trim needed primer pockets are as tight as new.

That said, and with the good performance I have been having I decided to try Hornady brass in my 257 Roy. The factory Weatherby (Norma) is soft IMO and my 257 likes loads right near max. I have loose primer pockets by my third reload.

Anyway I received a hundred pieces of Hornady brass, I prepped them and loaded them with a starting load of RL-22. After the first shot I had to beat my bolt handle up, I was 4 grains under the exact same (book) load I use in my Norma brass, same bullet, powder, primer, and OAL.

When I got home I pulled the bullets, dumped and weighed the powder (charges were perfect) then I took the fired case and filled it with water, then took a fired Norma case and did the same. The difference was 5 grains of water! My starting load with the Hornady was a grain over max!! I know there are differences between brands, but 5 grains is almost a different caliber!

I wrote this as a warning, but also a question. Has anyone loaded their 257 Roy with Hornady brass? What was your experience? I have not had a problem like this in other calibers with Hornady, just the 257.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote