New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLC-2?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought that I read that this powder is the same as Win 748? Is this the case?

Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
748 is slightly faster.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
I thought that I read that this powder is the same as Win 748? Is this the case?

Thanks Greg

NO not at all.

H-414 and Win 760 are the same but not these two.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely NOT the same powder! From Steve's burn rate charts:

149 TU-3000
150 W-748

151 IMR-4064
152 Brigadier 4065
153 AA-2520
154 N-202
155 RL-15
156 AR-2208
157 N-140
158 R-903
159 S-341
160 TU-5000
161 Varget
162 BL-C(2)
163 N-540
164 Big Game
165 N-203
166 H-380
167 AA-4064

This is a pretty different burn rate range. Is MUCH more like Varget than WW748. Is a different color and a different structure as well.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another burn rate chart, notice the difference. They're not all the same. 748 is #103, BLC2 #105, Varget #117.

http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no they are not the same. but, they are in the same burn rate class..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
W/R to 748, isn't it the same powder as H-335?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
W/R to 748, isn't it the same powder as H-335?

Win 748 is not the same as H-335!

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
This is the best burn rate comparison chart I have found so far.

http://gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BL-C2, WW-748, and military WC-846 are all made in the St. Marks, Florida ball powder facility that was originally built by Olin-Matheson, at the time the parent corporation of Winchester-Western.

Each of those powders are made to the same specifications. Each will vary from the other in much the same way that different lots of the same powder will vary. In essence, they ARE different lots of the same powder (save and except that some powders produced for military ammunition may have some content of flash suppressant which usually doesn't influence its ballistic performance). Any difference you may find in loading data is attributable to this lot-to-lot variation.

Other powders that are the same spec are H-335 and WC-844, H-414 and WW-760. Another "match" is the surplus powder WC-852 with H380 HOWEVER, a number of lots of "WC-852" are actually the spec powder H-450, so never trust this particular powder as some surplus dealer screwed up big time in identifying it. Whether the old WW-780BR and the now obsolete H-450 were of the same specification I can't say as both of them are now long gone.

I have an 8-pounder of WC-846 which matches BLC2 data very closely, and have used a number of 8-pounders of WC-844 interchangably with H-335.

Relative burning rate charts are never in agreement, and are by definition always "wrong" in that the burning characteristics of smokeless powder vary according to case volume, bore size, bullet weight, and whether the powder is single- or double-base. A relative burning rate chart is someone's estimate of how powders compare under "average" conditions; relying on them for anything other than curiosity is folly.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the various opinions expressed here I decided to look at a number of burn rate chart to see how they squared with my experience.

I was amazed at the wide range of opinions expressed in the charts I looked at! Especially with respect to BL(C)-2 and WW748 they are all over the lot.

My some suggest that they are both faster than RL-15. Has not been my experience in .308 Win with BL(C)-2. It appears to be SLOWER than RL-15 in my rifles. (Now I must admit that I am using OLD BL(C)-2. The new stuff may be different!)

I suspect that proper burn rate determination is done in a "bomb calorimeter" fitted with sensors to allow rate of heat generation determination. Means it is not a casual exercise. (BTW: I am a Ph.D. Analytical Chemist.)

Lessons to be learned ... 1) do NOT use burn rate charts to estimate starting loads. 2) Use only published loading data from more than one reliable source!

If you want a general idea of a powder's burn rate as a selection criterion before buying a powder ... use a chart from a large powder manufacturer (like Hodgdon) because only they can afford the equipment to do the determination properly. Then look for loading data to narrow your choices to your final selections.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe each powder should be treated as a separate entity. Some might be close, real close but as mentioned even lot to lot variances can affect things.
I start all over with each powder in load development and never trust that any two are interchangeable across the board. I even back off a bit and work back to max when going lot to lot of the same powder. Personal opinion only.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I have an 8-pounder of WC-846 which matches BLC2 data very closely, and have used a number of 8-pounders of WC-844 interchangably with H-335.

thumb X 2 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
BL-C2, WW-748, and military WC-846 are all made in the St. Marks, Florida ball powder facility that was originally built by Olin-Matheson, at the time the parent corporation of Winchester-Western.

Each of those powders are made to the same specifications. Each will vary from the other in much the same way that different lots of the same powder will vary. In essence, they ARE different lots of the same powder (save and except that some powders produced for military ammunition may have some content of flash suppressant which usually doesn't influence its ballistic performance). Any difference you may find in loading data is attributable to this lot-to-lot variation.

Other powders that are the same spec are H-335 and WC-844, H-414 and WW-760. Another "match" is the surplus powder WC-852 with H380 HOWEVER, a number of lots of "WC-852" are actually the spec powder H-450, so never trust this particular powder as some surplus dealer screwed up big time in identifying it. Whether the old WW-780BR and the now obsolete H-450 were of the same specification I can't say as both of them are now long gone.

Relative burning rate charts are never in agreement, and are by definition always "wrong" in that the burning characteristics of smokeless powder vary according to case volume, bore size, bullet weight, and whether the powder is single- or double-base. A relative burning rate chart is someone's estimate of how powders compare under "average" conditions; relying on them for anything other than curiosity is folly.

patriot IMHO This post by stonecreek should be printed out and put in every reloader's collection of regularly used data.

Not only does it tell the truth about the powders specifically mentioned, it does so also about burn rate charts and powder lots in general.

thumb

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
+ 1 on the kudos to Stoney C.....

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of LeonK
posted Hide Post
+2 to Stone, good info and th kind of stuff that really helps me.
BL-C(2) is one of th powers I use more of than any other. Shoot it in almost every rifle I own and some others that I load for.It's just good powder.

Thanks
lmk

All alone I came into this world
All alone I will someday die
Solid stone is just sand and water, baby
Sand and water, and a million years gone by

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 8 pounder of 844 seems a bit faster than the last lot of H335 I tried. Treat them all as different. They probably are. Some just slightly, others enough to get you in real trouble. Be conservative with the starting loads and work up slowly and carefully. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Shooting 75 grain BTHP in my 223 I get about 50 fps more velocity with BLC-2 than RL-15, and I have always found it to be a little bit slower.

I dont think Ball C or 748 is as predictable as RL-15 with different brass, bullets and primers however.

Ball C is versatile and can be used w 55 and 77 grain bullets in the 5.56mm

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote