THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Borden Alpine Custom 260 - **New Pic day 2**

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Borden Alpine Custom 260 - **New Pic day 2**
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
Using NEW RP brass, the ONLY thing done was chamfer primer pockets, did not even size necks. Did not weight sort brass, etc.

Dropped IMR4350 and 140 Sierra MK HP, below are 2 targets during initial sight in. I shot 140 Corelokts to get on paper, had a 3 shot group under 1", never thought those bullets produced great accuracy. Another group did have 2 of 3 in one hole.

100 yds, using 10x, Non-AO VX3 (did have a small amount of parallax), slight breeze. No caffeine but my heartbeat was apparent. Also, each group was out of a clean bbl w/o a fouler.

2 groups shot using 140 SMK did about .61 and .55 so I am pleased given I have only fired 13 rounds out of the gun.

I think there is much more accuracy to be once formed to the chamber, yet I am going to use some WW 7/08 brass and Nosler brass, and once formed to this gun, using weighed charges, I feel the gun will shoot .2-.4 consistently. I am pleased.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingHow bout posting pic of rifle? Nice shooting. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Hi Bart,

Photoshop over max for the month so it won't show until re-set on th 26th. Sorry folks.

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Can you 'splain the groups until you can post pics?

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Alan, above is the nitty gritty on day 1, .55 and .61 for 3shot groups w/RP brass.

This a.m., shot again:

New Nosler brass, OUT the box. 140 Amax. Weighed IMR4350, and Fed BR primer.

First group is 5 shots, the 4th I seemed to have pulled. 4 of 5 under 1/2".

2nd group was my remaining 4 rounds, all 4 in one hole, best I can measure is .194 C-t-C.

Using VX3 again, on 10x, at 100 yds.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, looks like she's a shooter!

How much does it weigh and what scope and mounts does it have? Just curious because I used to build Alpine rifles and thought about trying a Borden action one time.

And to add to the "good shooting," it is more difficult to get good groups from the bench. Lighter rifles are more "touchy", so double Kudos on your awesome groups!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
This gun was not built as a light sporter, but a handy rifle that is stable enough to tell me what I want to know about 260 accuracy, first hand w/good components i.e. action/bbl, etc.

Gun is a 700 Varmint 700 taper, fluted, at 22.5", UPS scale goes .25 increments, showed 8 lbs naked.

A sporter on a Borden is next.....

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Sorry, the scope is VX 3-10x40 CDS, duplex, Talley 2pc Aluminum - 'all in one' mount.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your results have me excited to try my new Alpine action. I am waiting to have it stocked by McMillan and have about another 5 months to go. I can't wait.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Our #'s are w/in 5 digits.....surely yours will be a bug hole gun.

Yours inspired my thinking of doing one, love the 221 and deuce, and both are sweet w/40s over Lil Gun IMO.

Good luck.