THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22-243/6mm as a Factory Round?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-243/6mm as a Factory Round?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've heard rumors from a couple of friends that one of the major manufacturers is going to bring out a 22-243 or 22-6mm. Can anyone confirm or quash these tales. ( I don't think the 223 wssm would qualify as this. At least I hope not [Big Grin] )

Thanks for the input,
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be a great way to create a market for replacement barrels. [Eek!]
(Especially after the average Joe sits down at the bench and "runs through" a couple of boxes without cooling the barrel)
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is some info on the 22-243 from Saeeds reloading pages:

I think this is probably the largest 22-caliber case that can be used with currently available powders. We also tried a 6mm Remington necked down to 22-caliber, but were unable to get more velocity from it that this one. In fact, we found that to get roughly the same velocity – about 4000 fps – we had to use about 5.5 grains more of powder.

Looked at from a varminter’s point of view, this cartridge will give you about 100 fps more than the 220 Swift.

[Eek!]

Posts: 322 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Varmint Hunter>
posted
A factory 22-243 rifle would be totally useless unless a fast twist barrel was standard. A .243 (.308) case is grossly overbored and provides little velocity advantage over a 22-250 or 220 Swift, when shooting 50gr bullets.
However, the 22-243 with an 8" or 7" twist has some very interesting potential. Bullets and powders for this combo are available and more are sure to come in the near future.
If you've just gotta have the fastest, all out screamer .224 cartridge, than the 22-284 might just be the ticket for you. [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
VH

<t_bob38>
posted
I agree with Varmint Hunter. A quick twist and bullets in the 90 gr range, ought to be interesting. Actually I've been thinking of an AI 22-250 along these lines.