Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BSA 12/15 in .22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That is WAY COOL!! Love them Hornets!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THe rifle is the standard BSA 12/15 action, converted to CF and fitted with a new barrel. The scope is a Weaver 4-16x I had left over from a previous project (A BSA int'l Mk V which got a Weaver T36 for BR shooting). Base is 'custom', though, but rings are CZ with the recoil lug ground off.

Wood is the standard factory wood, but refinished.

For the moment, I am using Sierra 45 gr stuff, and H&N Hi-speed coated 45gr rn bullets. The latter are a bit more delicate (swaged lead, with copper and plastic coating, not jacketed), but apparently will shoot right along with the Sierra's. I should maybe also try something else, but time...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of these I bought twenty-five years ago, a .22RF with an Eric Johnson barrel- I gave it to what I thought was a gunsmith to pull the barrel, he spalled it and it's still on the action. I've been threatening to have it converted to CF, maybe a .218, for many years....

maybe I'll do it after seeing yoursSmiler

nice rig.

what would the rest of you chamber a rifle like this in?
I know the actions are strong, how much can they take?

-tincan

posted Hide Post
My BSA cadet khornet is my favorite rifle.It has a light barrel a wollensak 4x externally adjusted scope and a triger block safety like on a browning auto5.I don't know why Most people put heavy barrels on these tiny actions try one with a lightweight bbl, they make great little carry around guns.

Posts: 24 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, the action is mostly limited by 3 elements:
1. Barrel shank size
2. 'room' to load
3. Extractor camming power
But it will certainly withstand quite a bit of pressure without any problem, as long as the chamber walls don't get too thin.
Nice other chamberings would be 25-20, 218 bee (or an improved version), 32-20, 5.6 x 50R, anything based on the .357 case head. Just make sure it has a rim...
Action solidity is not the problem - this is one of the safest actions around.