New
Find
Notify
Tools

BSA .310
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend of mine was given a rifle made by the Birmingham Small Arms Co. (BSA), .310 caliber. Anyone ever heard of this cartridge? On one side of the receiver it says it was made in Australia. It's a small single shot, falling block action. Cute little gun. Anyway, he was wondering where he could get ammunition for it. I didn't have a clue but I told him I would ask the experts (you guys) and would get an answer for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably one of these .310 Cadet,sorry, can't help with load info for it but would be surprised if a revolver case of some sort couldn't be adapted.
Steve

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cases are made by Bertram and Huntingtons or CH-4D has the dies. Dies are less expensive at CH4D. Buffalo Arms has the lead bullets I was tod. You might check Old Western Scrounger for loaded ammo. Some guys will tell you a 32/20 will work. It usually won`t and the bore size is different too. About 319 or so. Most of these neat little rifles have been bastardized into 17s, 22s and a host of other cases. Too bad as they are neat to shoot as-is but difficult to load for. Good luck with the Cadet.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once had a cadet. I would fireform 32-20 to the chamber and after swaging .328 lead bullets to .320 it shot pretty neat. I would really like to find another in as good a shape as that one was. I would be interested in converting to 32 H&R or maybe 357 Maximum. 310 Cadet is also available through Midway, I think. A few European mfgs still load the cartridge. They are fun to shoot. Good practice before stepping up to 577-450Smiler!

Andy B

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I'll pass it on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was made in Britain, for the various State Governments of Australia by BSA. But it wasn't made in Australia. The 310 Cadet is a heel based bullet. RCBS used to list moulds for it. It was used for cadet training so is faily well accurate. In Australia a lot were converted to 22 Hornet.

I've not read this link but here it is anyway:

http://64.177.205.5/martini/cadet.htm

This however is always a good site for miniature rifle info:

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/BSA_Model_4.html

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i believe the old western scrounger had 310 ammo

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the Australians that has been rebarreled, now octagon to round in 357 mag. A little Lyman tube up front and a Williams receiver sight in back and its loads of fun to shoot.

Posts: 188 | Location: nc | Registered: 03 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .429:
I have one of the Australians that has been rebarreled, now octagon to round in 357 mag. A little Lyman tube up front and a Williams receiver sight in back and its loads of fun to shoot.

This was a common conversion, and a good one. I had one converted by a gunsmith whose name I can't recall, in Oakridge, Oregon back in 1963. It was a real doll.

Have also had a Greener "Club Rifle" (a heavy barreled target model produced by Greener on the same small Martini action) in .310 Greener, and it was one of the most accurate Martinis I have ever seen, with plain old factory ammo of the day (early 1970s is when I had it). I bought the Greener at auction in old blighty, packaged and delivered for shipping to me in Canada, for 5 Guineas!

Anyway, Road Dog, your friend is likely best off using something else as a "shooter" unless he is a devoted handloader and wants to buy a couple of moulds and the rest of the equipment to make bullets to fit the bore. Ammo for the .310 is around, but it sure isn't inexpensive most places these days.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really found my .310 Cadet to be both challenging and fun to shoot. Buffalo Arms brass is made from 32-20 brass and was reasonably price. The heeled bullets from the RCBS molds worked well. It is very accurate and the original sight is suprisingly precise all the way out to 300 meters. Probably not the best project for the beginner handloader though.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Road Dog, I sent you a PM. I am just south of you outside of Placerville and may be able to help your friend.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For more information on the Martini Cadet there is a British Militaria Forum. http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/directory I have a Cadet chambered in .32 Winchester Special which shoots very well with iron sights. The .32 Win Spec was a popular conversion when these rifles were imported in the early 1960's.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote