Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick a .22
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
I want a very accurate .22 LR that won't be expensive. I would prefer bolt-action, single or multiple shots. The Savage Mark II's look pretty good, I really like the Mark II BV with wood and bull barrel, but it is over $100 more than the Mark II F with synthetic and bull barrel. Can I get a different stock for this gun if I wish to later on? I'm open to any suggestions for an accurate .22 that won't break the bank.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
What do you mean by very accurate?
Hit a pop can every time a 25 yds?

Able to be competive in a smallbore prone match?

Today most 22 rimfires will be able to hit a pop can at 25 yds. The Savage you mention should do well for this. But if you want/need a competive rifle for smallbore matches, you will find entry level rifles nearing $1000.00 ,well over $2000.00 for a top of the line rifle.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Well, I have a Marlin now that's around 50 years old that I got back into working condition, it gets quarter inch groups at 25 yards and about half inch groups at 50 consistently. But at 100 it really spreads out, around 2-3 inch groups. I've read reviews online of some of the Rugers and newer Marlins, and Savages shooting really nice at 100, around 1 inch groups. In the '06 Gun Digest I see a entry level Anshcutz at a little over $300. For most guns unless it's an excellent deal, I would like to keep the cost $250 and lower. Some days my grandpa's old Marlin really could compete in junior matches, good enough for me to possibly win from what I've heard of junior match groups being. But some days it's half inch groups at 25 yards. I'm looking for something consistent. I've also heard that the Savage's usually like Lapua's ammunition, I've read only good things about it, and chuckhawks really likes it in his Savages.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Wait, my first sentence doesn't match with my later one saying the gun is consistent. What I meant is I can usually get quarter and half inch groups, but sometimes they are twice that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler
Try different types and brands of ammo.
The Anschoutz you mention is a high end plinker not a competive level one.
Competitors will be very pissed/stalk off the range if they drop more than one or two points in a match.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
CZ ZKM452 or the new ZKM453American. Great value, very accurate.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What do the different CZ's actually cost in store? I know MSRP prices are usually a ways off from the store price. Walmart only carries Savages and only a couple cheap looking .22's. The rest are 17 HMRs, which if I wanted to spend that much on ammo I would get a .223, which I would also like. The CZ's look very nice, especially the 453 Varmint or American. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Wait I had the 453 and 452 mixed up, 452's are less expensive, I love the Varmint Model! $419 MSRP...wonder what it would cost at Basspro, or even better, lightly used at a gunshop.

one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Some good suggestions here already. Another really great source of info on all rimfire shooting is RimfireCentral.com Forums.
If you're plinking most .22s will do. If you want to hit a squirrel in the head at 35-50 yards you may want a Savage, Marlin or Ruger with a trigger job. Replacement triggers are available for all three. If you want to shoot a match style rifle competetively or otherwise a CMP Kimber 82 is a great deal at $630.00 with sights and freight. If you want to save money on a .22 for the trigger job and good scope consider a used .22. Given a .22's low velocity it's just about impossible to shoot a .22 out, and if they've been protected from corrosion they'll out last a couple of owners.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Tyler,
I can't resit one more thing. Everybody has their favorites but I've got to tell you the little stainless Ruger 77/22 with a 20" brl. and ugly plastic stock I bought in 1994 has proven indestructable and very accyrate. I replaced the stock trigger with an inexpensive Traister and off the bench it shoots Ely subsonic hollow pt.s or CCI mini-mag +V to 1/2" or less at 50 yrds. It's a light, handy, highly effective squirrel gun.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler: I cannot say for the Basspro price, but Whittaker Guns has the CZ 452 for $329.95 in the varmit model. Not a bad price at all. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Registered on rimfirecentral. Big Grin I noticed that people were talking about CZ 452 Americans being $249.99, but I can't find it anywhere less than $300. I have a BSA Sweet .22 6x18 on it's way for Christmas, along with a brick of Lapua Speed Ace, which has been said to be consistent and accurate. I hate flyers. The Savage F for around $120 at Walmart seems like a good buy, the wood version definetly doesn't have the wood quality of the CZ. The CZ American looks very very nice, like a big game rifle with it's longer barrel. I like it, as I said before. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just rechecked Whittaker Guns and there is a used CZ 452 Varmit .22 cal for $269.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Guns shops around here charge $30 to get a gun shipped to them ( Mad), and then it's $15 for shipping, so add $45 price and I can just about get a new gun. I'll check the local gunshop prices sometime, but I have school and a football game tomorrow, I wisht he local gunshops had websites.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Here's a CZ for $259: CZ452

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Just a thought but before you abandon the Marlin; 100 yd groups with 22lr take pretty skilled wind doping to close down to an inch or less. It would be a shame to spend the money and get the same groups if you don't practice enough to know whether it's the gun or technique.

Another trick is to send it to a 22lr gunsmith and have him set the barrel back slightly and rechamber to match dimensions plus re-crown. Sometimes that really wakes up a common 22lr to astounding performance levels and it costs less than a new rifle.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How much would a re-chamber/recown job cost? I know a recrown is easy, but what about rechamber to match dimensions? Woult his mean no cheapo ammunition and just higher quality stuff? The 100 yard group was in an area with very little wind, I was prone on the ground with a rest, woods on one side and beans on the other, about a 5 foot path that's good for up to about 150 yard shooting. I tried a 25 shot group today, the target was taped to a box on a post, really susceptable to wind, except there was almost none. 2.5 inch group for most shots, with a couple flyers. I know the .22 has more than enough energy to kill a squirrel humanely out to 200 yards, but the trajectory is an issue. A powerful pellet gun in .22 has about 20 ft-lbs of energy, the .22 LR retains that much with a heavier bullet for a long ways. Thanks for all the quick replies, I found a Savage Mark II BV for $230 in Missouri, I don't know if that is a good in store price though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ 452....!!!!!

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
On a gun like a Marlin you would probably be into it for $125. The real downside is that you would still be short one 22lr. For another $105 I would tempted to buy another gun too. I just wanted to cover all the bases.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
The Savage Mark II F with bull barrel and synthetic stock is about the cost of the recrown job...but I don't want to get it then regret not getting whichever one I decide I really want. Decisions, decisions....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, the shipping and handling, plus FFL transfer fees are the downside of internet rifle buying, even though costs will be lower. So, go to your local gun shops and pay their prices and be happy with it. Tom Purdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you run across a used Norinco they are pretty good too. Nothing fancy, but very good barrels.

Posts: 30 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I don't know the price, but Kimber are great.
ozhunter

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CZ452 try CDNN. I got mine an American in 17mk2 for 235.00. Tax and FFL I was out the door for $279.00 Get an Eric Brooks trigger kit for 14 bucks and you are set. Buy every ammo type and brand you can find, unti the gun get one it likes. If you want no flyers you wil need a rim gauge. Bald Eagle makes about the best, but the stoney point is not terrible. separate your ammo to loose flyers. POI will shift a bit but the groups should stay tight. I have a Ruger 77/22 in 22mag it shoots little holes, but not much better than my factory 452. I could have bought two 452s for what it cost me to get that Ruger right. It will do less than an inch at 100 with 5 shots if I hold it still. I have not ran the Mk2 out to 100 yet but at 50 it is well under a half with two kinds of ammo. Action/ bolt feels real ruff, it will slick up fine in about 100 rounds.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
One last option is one of the Rumanian training rifles for about $80. They were great shooters, man-sized and grooved for scopes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, your milage may vary, but I have the Savage BV, wood laminate stock and bull barrel, and it has been excellent! You don't mention your main use, whether it will be field postition, bench shooting, hunting, or what, but off the bench, with Wolf Match and Match Extra, it will consistently (as opposed to your inconsistently) match the groups you've mentioned, perhaps even a bit better. When you get to 100, you are talking about an entirely different set of parameters for 22 shooting. I'm guessing that 99% of 22 shooting will be at 75 or less. Basing a rifle decision at 100 yard results puts you into the professional shooter and high dollar gun and ammo class. If I was in your shoes, I'd forget about the 100 yard requirement and decide...#1: what accuracy do I require and #2: what is my budget? Only then can you make an imformed decision and whittle it down to the final choice. Figure out your main use, yardage and budget and you'll be closer to a decision. Just my 38 cents worth.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I need 1/2" accuracy consistently at 50 yards, and 1/4" at 25. This would be with better ammo, Lapua and I'll try Wolf Match and stuff, but not the super expensive Eley most of the time unless I take up competitive shooting. (which I would like to do) My budget is the lowest cost that will cover my accuracy needs. So far every Savage Mark II review I've read has passed that, especially with Lapua's cheaper ammunition for whatever reason. My usual usage will bench shooting, or possibly position shooting in matches if/when I start that. I probably won't take it hunting where it would get beat up at all, the old guns are more than accurate enough for that, and when I hunt near my house I have to use a shotgun because of housing within a couple hundred yards. My yardage will be 25 yards and out.