New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ making the .204 Ruger!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got off the phone with Jason at CZ, he says there is a .204 in the offing, (this summer). My concern with the Rugers is they would shoot poorly and the cartridge and caliber would be blamed, Guess we don't have to worry about that any more. A .20 that shoots out of the box, what's this world coming to! ---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm cancelling my order for the Ruger .204 tomorrow! I'll wait on the CZ! And if Remington has any sense left they'll crank up production of that chambering in their new LV's!!!! If I thought that was on the horizon, I'd hold out for that one!!!! The new LV's are great feeling walking varminters and I'll bet they are good on a bag too!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't count on Remington chambering anything in .204 Ruger. Look at what they did with the WSMs; instead of just chambering for .300 WSM, they made up their own line of short mags, which is probably going to be extinct in a few years. If the .204 Ruger catches on big, look for Remington and Winchester to come out with their own slightly different versions of .20 cal rounds. I don't know why, but Remington and Winchester don't seem to be willing to chamber rounds that the competition came up with lately.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kind of looks like CZ shot Ruger in the foot. I think they should change the name to the .204 CZ.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kjjm,

Don't look now, but at a local store they actually have about a dozen Remington 700s chambered in a 270 Winchester Short Mag on the shelf for $425.00.

So you never know what Remington will do.

If CZ is making the rifles in 204 Ruger, I bet Ruger will tighten up their quality control a lot, like they did when marlin 17 HRMs were shooting better than the more expensive Rugers.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ is making more than the 204 Ruger, they are also making the 223WSSM on a new action. Remington, Browning, Savage, Ed Brown, Les Bauer..... are all making 204 Rugers.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aaron, Where did you get the info that Remington was making the .204 Ruger? GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
montdoug, If you've never shot a 222MAG or something based off of it, you're in for a treat also!!! GHD

one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way,I heard from Aaron as well as others on the web that Remington was making a rifle in .204. Finding that real hard to buy because it's far to openminded for a company to buy into a competing companies propriatary round before it's well proven, I called Remington today. I was told by the lady that she'd never heard of the round and she'd be the one who would know if they were making it. My experience tells me just cause she said it don't make it so, but under the circumstances I'm inclined to believe her. I'd bet that if Ruger does well with the .204, Remington will come out with something similar that says RP on the headstamp. The gun companies have large economy size egos and don't like to share credit or acknowledge the other guys good ideas. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm willing to bet that the Ruger 204 s will turn out to be very good shooters when people actually start to get their hands on them.............

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington did 6 shot show specials. Three of which were in 204; there are the LV SF, VLS and ADL SYN.

Browning also had three 204's as shot show specials, a hunter, laminated and medallion A-bolts.

With the flexibility of companies today, putting out a rifle that only requires a new bbl isn't hard to do, especially when you make your own barrels.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well that's good news then, shows everyone is taking it serious. That's great for us small caliber guy's (this should sure make VarmintGuy happy ). Hope everything made shoots as well as this cartridge deserves. If you've never shot a hot .20 your in for a treat!

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
My experience with CZ rifles has been so good that I may buy two .204s. My 22 K-Hornet shoots an impressive .28-.39 ragged hole with the 35gr v-max and 13.2gr of Lil' Gun at 100yds. I was leaning towards a .17 Ackley Imp. but that involved a custom rifle and if CZ makes one in .20, well, it would probably be easier to load,(those damn .17 bullets are to small)and I wasn't impressed with the performance of the .17 on Nutria Rats. My .22 K-Hornet was a stellar performer even though its velocity is below 3000fps. Does anyone know the velocity and specs of the .204 cartride?

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
groundhog devastation, a buddy and I are spliting an order of 500 .222 Mag cases (just ordered). Told my favorite gun pusher I'd take the first CZ Varmint in .204 he git's, (my buddies gittin the second). If Remington is indeed producing this cartridge that would need a second look along with the CZ (God I love tough decisions). My Tactical .20 is on a Remington and I'm looking forward to comparing the two. I duplicate what Ruger is claiming 4,250 with a 33 grain V-Max, but the triple duces' larger capacity ought to let a careful handloader wring a little more than that out of it, we'll see. I've got 500 40 grain V-Max's should be here buy the weekend, a little more capacity ought to get those close to 4,000 with a BC of 260, it just keeps gettin better and better!

one of us
posted Hide Post
ruger said the velocity should be around 4200 from a factory loaded cartirdge. how true this is still left to behold.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope montdoug is right!

I checked the Remington and Browning web sites today and there is no mention of the 204 on either web sight. Both listed new products for 2004 but no indication of a 204, not surprising.

I was thinking of a 204 in the TC Encore but got the 17 rem instead. Maybe I jumped the gun. We'll see if Cz does a 204. If they do I will have to get one. My 2 CZ's (22 hornet and 17 Rem) are great!

Shoot for the eyes, It's more fun

trshep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I'm new here. Just wanted to say that I was at the SHOT show and I saw a Rem. 700 in .204 Ruger. It was blue with a laminated stock, nice looking rifle. I'm sure they will make available in more offerings.

posted Hide Post
I too was thrilled when I heard CZ is coming out with the 204! Does anyone know which models it will be in and what will be the twist? I've heard CZ uses some slow rates sometimes and with a 40 grainer coming I hope it will stabilize.

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I just got off the phone with Jason at CZ, he says there is a .204 in the offing, (this summer). My concern with the Rugers is they would shoot poorly and the cartridge and caliber would be blamed, Guess we don't have to worry about that any more. A .20 that shoots out of the box, what's this world coming to! ---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Hope you're right. I like CZ!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote