New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please exuse a ignorent old bushman here but I've seen of the .204 Ruger being advertised but I have no idea of case or bore dim can someone please sent me straight on this one please bewildered

all times wasted wot's not spent shootin

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 204 is a 222mag necked down to a 20 cal. The first offerings for factory ammo include 32gr and 40gr bullets at an advertised 4225 FPS for the 32gr loads. Looks to be quite the varmint rig.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanking you JB.sounds like its a little hell cat. I wonder if it will replace the .17rem as the sub cal of choice?

Posts: 569 | Location: Flinders Ranges. South Australia | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is being billed as 'flatter shooting to 400 yds. than a 22-250". Of course the factory stuff is loaded with powder that we can't buy so I expecting something a little less than that from my hand rolled stuff. I am getting one ....suppose to get all the loading stuff in todays mail and already have the barrel. It will sling bullets from 32-50 gr. from 3200-4200 fps with any luck. The tech at Sierra told me that overall it is one of the most accurate chamberings that they have worked with. We'll see........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
What twist rate do you have?

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out small caliber news. mucho info.
it is similar to the 20tac(223 necked to 20cal).
the 30's get 12T, 40's 11 and the big dogs are in the 10T....
cool round for sure...
woofer

if you aint' livin', you're dyin'.

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One has to wonder about the efect of wind drift.With the lighter progs at the longer ranges I know with .223 with 50 g I getall sorts of wierd & wonderful drift at 250yrds+when shootinin a stiff breeze but I supose I have the same problem at times using .25 cals

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the wind drift on the .20 cal bullet at the speed a .204 Ruger will propel them is significantly less than a .223 using the same weight bullets. That is one of their big selling points.....204 bullets have a higher Ballistic Coiffient and in a .204 Ruger at least as fast.
The BC on a Hornady 40 gr. bullet in .204 is .275.
Same weight bullet in .224" is more like .240. A .204 will get 3800 fps at that weight bullet and would handle the wind much better.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks SKB I think i'll be watching this one with interest .To see how they take off in auz. & If they get approved as a legal kangaroo calibre as under our lic conditions .222 is the min legal calibre for prof shooters after 'roos' Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just started working with mine last night. My neighbors probably don't care for it but I did my first fire form load test "out back". I couldn't wait for .204 brass (which you can now get at Midsouth and Midway) so I started out with .222 Rem mag stuff. It will be great fun on prairie dogs as there is virtually no recoil.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Who besides Ruger is offering this caliber in a factory rifle?

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 204 is offered by just about every maker in americaand over seas.

I believe in life, liberty, and pursuit of the S.O.B.'s that threaten them.

Posts: 130 | Location: East central Kansas | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote