THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Loading the Mini HOWA Grendel

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading the Mini HOWA Grendel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Factory ammo is super accurate in this rifle, .5 moa easily. My reloads are slowly getting there. I have two powders suitable for the Grendel CFE 223 and BLC(2) and one bullet the 123 grain AMAX bought as blems from Midway. I have only CCI 400 primers on hand and since magnum small rifle primers are reccommended with CFE I started with the BLC2. I worked up to 30.8 grains with a COAL at 2.3 with groups getting tighter all the way. 5 shots into just under an inch. I need to get some small rifle magnum primers which are universally said to be very helpful in getting tight groups. I also need to sort the Midway blems, some have very noticable roughness where the tip enters the jacket. However the rifle is fun to shoot and kicks very little. The AMAX's appear to be very fast expanders in my mud backstop.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've got a Charles Daly mini=mauser in 6.5G.

I had a bit of trouble sizing Hornady cases compared to Wolf. Nothing bad just different. I had to reset the decapping rod so I could resize both.

I haven't tried many loads yet. 25-26gr AR-comp looks good with 120 HPBTMK

WIN SR or LR primers

Posts: 6487 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear, got a couple of them and haven't found the time to even scope them yet, but the couple I put in others hands are shooting very well, easy 1 MOA or a bit better at least.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
My first impression shooting my Howa Mini heavy barrel in 6.5 Grendel have been very positive. Factory Hornady A-Max are right at .8" at 100 yards for five shots. I'm still collecting enough brass to work up some loads with 95gr V-Max bullets that I have a couple of boxes here on the shelf.

Any suggestions on powder choices for the lighter bullets would be appreciated.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm going to order some Sierra 120 grain Pro hunters, had great luck with this bullet in the past as a hunting bullet.

Posts: 932 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with TAC and the 120gr Pro hunter, 120gr Ballistic Tip hunting, and the 100gr Ballistic Tip. The Pro Hunter I had to load .5gr under max but all the others I found accuracy at max charge weight.

My rifle is an AR-15 so you might be able to load yours a little hotter.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I jumped right over CFE223 and started working with LeverEvolution. Since there is no published data I can only say I worked up to 32.0 grains, CCI450 primers,Hornady brass,123 gr. AMAX coal 2.3. Powder compression is just beginning at this point so I stopped. No pressure signs at all and very accurate. Some powder residue though. The residue is enough that I would not recommend it for a suppressed rifle or an AR. It is possible this powder would be better suited for heavier bullets, a bit slow for this case maybe. I am going to burn the pound of powder up with this load though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunsmoker,

What is the velocity of the LeverEvolution load?

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish I knew exactly but in the ballpark of 2550 fps from my 20 inch barrel.