THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    a used good action and a 1000.00

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a used good action and a 1000.00
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hi all I have found a used Rem 700 bdl in 270
if I bought it for 250 and say put another 1000.00 bucks into it and rebarreled to a 25-06
how good of a rifle would I have

Posts: 74 | Location: NC | Registered: 19 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Beefa
posted Hide Post
Hi Mate

You say it is used, but how used is it ?

Is the barrel shot out ? 270win is a great round, a little more legs than the 25-06 obviously but not much more recoil or powder consumption

If the barrel is still ok, you can finish the stock to make her look nice , bed the action, lighten the trigger and all this will be less than $1000 for sure

More cash for a nice scope

Beefa270: Yes I really love my 270win

Posts: 114 | Location: Southern Sydney Australia | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes its in good shape owner is a older man cant hunt no more prob less than 300 rounds through it.I will definatly have a Krieger or Broughton stainless barrel put on it And i'm fond of the 25-06 The only thin I dont like is the small barrel contour But much bigger wont fit in stock i'm thinking 25-06 Stainless match barrel about 27 inches

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by speed_kills:
rebarreled to a 25-06
how good of a rifle would I have

Not as good as a 280AI. Big Grin

Now that I'm through being a smart ass and got that out of my system, you can get a larger barrel, say a #4 contour or so, and then fit the stock to it by taking material off with a dremel tool. I know, I just finished doing it.

Personally for a hunting rifle, I like the 26" barrels, but that is your call.

I have one action rebarreled by Hart into a 280AI and one done by a gunsmith with a XX Douglas into a 6.5 rem mag. What you need to consider first is the magazine length and the new caliber's OAL.

There is also the 6.5-06 which is a winner. Get a fast twist for the heavier bullets and it will outperform the 25-06, IMO.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get another stock.
You say 1,000.00 Well 510 is what my smith charges for a rebarrel bluing included. If you go stainless it would be less. Thats with a douglas premium.
An hs precision stock is only about 300.
You can get a real decent scope for 300.00. A VX 2 leupold is 300. Now all you need is a sling and to work up some loads...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the intended use of the rifle?
you say it has 300 rd fired, it is a new rifle.
why do you want to spend $1000?
how does it shoot?
No one loves to chase the perfect solution to a nonexistent problem than me but:

what do you want?

Posts: 377 | Location: Atlanta.GA | Registered: 07 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As of right now it between rebuilding a rifle or buying a Sendero SF II in 300 Win Mag.
I used to own the rifle I then gave it to my dad.He has grown to old to hunt.I may buy it back "Id say through it life it has somewhere between 400 to 500 rounds through it.The reason I am favoring the Sendero is a stainless action vs a blued on it plus the Sendero has a heavy barrel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
get both!!clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote