THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Problem with contender 17 mach IV

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with contender 17 mach IV
 Login/Join

<ranb>
posted
I recently bought a contender carbine in 17 mach IV from Bullberry. When I got the barrel, I noticed the lug was sticking too far back from the back of the barrel to allow it to close. I sent it back and it was machined down. I got it back today, and when forming cases from new RP 221 fireball brass, the case will not chamber. I did not use the expander plug so I know the neck is not causing the problem. I screwed the sizer down far enough to set the sholder back and allow the case to chamber, but setting the shoulder back that far puts a dent in the case right behind the shoulder. I think my chamber was cut too short. I e-mailed bullberry today and may end up sending the barrel back again. Any ideas? Thanks.

Ranb

posted Hide Post
I have an idea: stop buying barrels from someone who doesn't pay attention when they are making them!

Both of those problems should have been caught before leaving the shop.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<ranb>
posted
DUH!!! So what if the chamber is not too short? Am I forming the cases properly? I found that by setting the shoulder back with the form die before running it through the sizer, I can get it peoperly sized to fit in the chamber.

Ranb

posted Hide Post
Fireform one of the cases you've sized down, and take measurements (overall length, neck length, case head to shoulder, case head to shoulder/neck junction). Post them here and we'll compare them to a fully-formed case.

George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<ranb>
posted
I got an e-mail back from bullberry and he states that setting back the sholder and fireforming is the only way I will be able to fit a case properly in the chamber. Sounds ok to me. My biggest problem now is getting a uniform neck wall thickness on my lathe. The wrinkle created is not very uniform. This makes the case a bit crokced and the neck turning a problem.

Ranb

posted Hide Post
Ranb,
Try turning the case necks before sizing down to .17.

George

------------------

<Hellrazor>
posted
http://bellmtcs.tripod.com/id22.htm

that has some good info on reloading for the contender.

<ranb>
posted
I got the neck turning part figured out. I made a mandrel that is .174". This holds the brass very tight while turning it on the lathe and my necks walls are always within less than .001" I was holding the case rim in the work holding chuck and the mandrel in a tailstock chuck before. This did not work at all. I will hit the range today and see how well they fireform. I will post the dimensions of a fired case. Thanks for the advice guys.

Randy

<ranb>
posted
Just got back from the range. The brass formed nicely in the chamber and was rather accurate for a fireforming load. I got 3500 fps with a stdev of 7 fps. 6 shots went into a 1.5 " group at 100 yards with 4 holes 3/4" apart. The fired brass dimensions are, rim to shoulder-1.062", neck-.179" total length-1.386", head diameter-.375". A very good start I think. Thanks for the help guys.

Ranb