New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Sendero?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the Sendero availiable in any smaller calibers?
I spoke to a guy yesterday at the range who told me he has one in .22-250.
On their site they only specify 7mm & .300 variants.

Anyone know more?

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Al Smith>
posted
No the Sendero is just in the large calibers if I remember correctly. However Remington makes a Model 700 VS SF (I think it stands for Varmint Synthetic Stainless Fluted but I may be wrong). They offer it in .220 Swift, .22-250, and .223. The gun is the same thing as the Sendero but it is chambered in the small calibers.

I have the one chambered in .220 Swift and I really like the gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EXPRESS:
Is the Sendero availiable in any smaller calibers?
I spoke to a guy yesterday at the range who told me he has one in .22-250.
On their site they only specify 7mm & .300 variants.

Anyone know more?

The other post is correct...they just change the name to the VSSF...and as the other post states they are nice...just remember the stock/action screws are torque sensitive and want equal torque and too tight makes them shoot all over the paper...from one who learned the hard way!!!and as with almost any new gun the triggers are good for muscle building but little else from the factory.....good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mine is the VSSF in 308 with the Jewel 2 ounce trigger and the 8.5-25 LRT Leupold.Most accurate Factory rifle I ever shot.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington VS is the same as the Sendero,just it is the short action version.The VSSF is available in short and long action calibers.I think Remington dropped the 220 Swift and the .223 in the VSSF last year.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The VS SF II how good does the factory trigger comes? Im looking this info everywhere and cant find any info on the trigger pull for this one.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Factory triggers are heavy but easy to adjust.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
trigger pull varies on rem700's so no data will be found. Have a qualified person do a trigger job and you will down to an easy 2.5lbs with a working safety.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
I bought one(VSSF) in 220 swift this spring. The trigger from the factory was crappy to say the least. I had it worked on and it is now pretty good, though an aftermarket trigger would surpass it in short order. It is an accurate rifle with my reloads and does a number on Ground Hogs as far as I can hit them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS: I just this minute returned from the range where I double checked the sight-in of two of my Antelope/High Plains Deer Rifles.
One of the Rifles was a wonderful Remington 700 Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester. I have killed 4 Antelope and 4 Mule Deer with this Rifle now and I could not be more thrilled with it!
Todays range verification with it was so successful I could not be happier!
From a clean barrel the first two shots (the only two I fired!) cut each other at 100 yards!
They were dead on for left and right (windage) and they were dead on for elevation (distance above point of aim)! No change what so ever, in point of impact at all, from last years sight-in, use and then a years storage!
This performance says something to me about the care and attention to engineering that the folks at Remington took to design and then produce this Rifle!!!
This year will be the fourth full season I have used this Sendero and I am hoping that it will be as successful as the last 3 years.
Sadly I can find no mention of the Sendero being offered for sale in the 2,005 Remington catalog nor on the 2,005 Remington web site!
Does anyone out there have information that the Sendero Model is still offered by Remington?
By the way the other Rifle I verified sight-in with this morning was a fully custom Winchester pre-64 Model 70 in caliber 240 Weatherby with a Hart barrel and a Varmint style English Walnut stock. This Rifle performed equally as well as my factory Remington Sendero but, alas, it cost me three times what I paid for the Sendero!!!
Long live Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, Remington doesn't make the sendero anymore, the stupidest move they ever made. But you still can find them on gunbroker and some other similar gun dealer sites but they usually are priced higher.

Posts: 149 | Location: western Iowa | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would imagine that Remington stopped production due to lack of sales...I mean who really wants a varmint rifle in a deer/elk cartridge? I would imagine that the only folks who purchased them were lazy Texans who sit around on their brains in their tripod stands using those itty bitty deer that they shoot for target practice. Guys who actually hunt want nothing to do with 10-11 lb. deer rifles.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dougw1969: You could be right about the lack of sales stopping Remington from producing these Rifles anymore. I am not sure about that?
But you are wrong about the only folks using the Senderos being Texans who sit a lot while Hunting!
I have used my Sendero on many Hunts here in the high plains country and in the Rocky Mountains. I not only have a large variable scope on mine I have a Harris Bi-pod permanently attached to it while I am humping it over the countryside. Yeah it weighs right at 12 pounds but that 12 pounds when set up under field conditions is just about rock solid and gives me a VERY still sight picture when I am squeezing that wonderful Remington trigger on game!
I do have a specially constructed Mountain type Rifle in 308 caliber that I used when Hunting the steepest of terrain (I have Hunted Mt. Goats with it and hope to Hunt Big Horn Sheep someday!).
But don't sell short the improved stability when shooting, that the more massive Rifles will give you! I think its worth the effort lugging it around and dealing with the 26" barrel. Many of the situations I have used this Rifle in call for longer shots as the norm and never a platform Deer blind near by to rest the Rifle on. I have to make due with the Harris Bi-pod or resting the Rifle over my day pack. And that added weight of the Rifle keeps my hammering heart from distrurbing my aim point.
In the regions I Hunt Antelope and Mule Deer in 350 to 450 yard shots are common!
I like heavy Rifles for Big Game and my "one shot - one kill" on going record with this Sendero keeps me more than willing to hump it over the hills. Actually with its foam and elastic "new fangled" sling it is not to difficult to carry all day, and, I have done so many times.
To each their own I guess but next time you get around a heavier Big Game Rifle sling it up and try getting a sight picture from sitting, prone and standing positions and you will immediately see why the mass comes in handy!
My good friend Larry Franklin of Post Falls, Idaho got drawn for a covetted very limited draw Bull Elk tag one year. He went out and bought a Remington Sendero in caliber 300 Winchester Magnum specially for this Hunt. He humped that Rifle for a week, over the broken country his tag was good for and finally killed a Trophy Bull Elk with it. I saw that Magnum shoot at the range several times and it was amazing how well it shot! As I recall it was making 5 shot groups between 1/2" and 3/4" at 100 yards consistently. I further recall it was shooting the 200 grain Nosler Partitions (Ballistic Co-efficient of .584!). Larry was well prepared for the longest of shots if need be. I do forget at exactly what range he shot that big Bull but it was not a close shot.
My good friend Ron Petersen of Dillon, Montana used his Remington 700 Varmint Laminated Stock Rifle for Mt. Goat Hunting last year. This Rifle is in caliber 243 Winchester. I humped with him over a large area of the very steep Tobacco Root Mountains of SW Montana and finally he harvested a dandy Mt. Goat with that heavy Rifle. That Mt. Goat is full body mounted in his home as of last month!
Dealing with a couple extra pounds of Rifle weight is do-able. Its just mind over matter! And when it comes time for the shot the added mass of that Rifle will come in handy.
Long live heavy Rifles!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a NIB Rem 700 stainless in 22-250 with the heavy fluted barrel and the syn stock (HS Precision) with the aluminum bedding block. $695.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Varmintguy, if you like carrying a 12 lb rifle for big game go for it. Personally I won't carry anything over 7 1/2 pounds anymore. My favorite right now is a 5 1/2 pound .25/.284. I pretty regularly kill woodchucks with it at ranges out to 400 yards off of shooting sticks. I doubt that I will ever run into a shot at big game that I will feel uncomfortable attempting with it.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EXPRESS over the last 25 years I have observed several hundred Remington rifles being shot at distances out to 1000 yards. Most all of these rifles were in 308. A few were in 300 Win Mag. They include the old Varmint wood stocked rifles, and the newer Varmint synthentic, and Police Sniper models. While some have shot better than others [many were one holers] ALL of them were GREAT shooters. They mostly shot some sort of Match 308 ammo, Federal, Winchester, Remington, Black Hills, or IMI.
With the exception of a Blaser R 93, Accuracy International, or a Steyr SSG, if I wanted an accurate heavy bbled rifle I would buy a Remington without hesitation.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug1969: Do you carry shooting sticks when you Hunt Antelope and/or high plains Mule Deer? I have tried that routine and I would rather go with the heavy Rifle over the day pack or with the Harris Bi-pod that is on my Sendero already while I am Hunting.
Which ever is the steadiest that I can get into the quickest (if need to be quick is obvious) is what I use. And yes I have shot a truckload of Rock Chucks out at and beyond 400 yards myself. I prefer the more massive, longer barrelled and steadier Rifles for that also.
Yep I look forward to my Hunts coming up shortly here in the Rocky Mountains and the high plains that I plan on using my "12 pounder" on! No problemo.
Bring back the Sendero!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG, yes I carry my steady stix any time that I hunt with a rifle. I am very comfortable shooting with them. I respect your opinion of heavy rifles and understand why you like them. Personally, I don't like them, I don't think they handle well, and I won't own one. To each his own.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dougw1969: You are exactly right when you say to each their own. But I do contend I can shoot my heavy Rifle more accurately than you can shoot your lightwieght Rifle under field Hunting conditions!
Most of the areas I Hunt for Mule Deer, Antelope, Bear and Elk the shooting sticks I have tried get in the way - I often need the hand that would be carrying shooting sticks to balance with and grasp things with in steep country and when crossing gullies etc. And to also warm that non-Rifle carrying hand up! I often Hunt in below zero temperatures at high elevations 8,000'+! My off-Rifle hand is being warmed up whenever possible!
The heavier Rifles are not only more steady (more accurate) when shooting at stationary game and far distant game, they are much improved steadiness wise when swinging on moving game!
We shoot a lot at Coyotes and Jack rabbits out here in the Rocky Mountains (for practice and for fun!) and I know from lots of experience that heavier means more hits no matter what one is using for steadiness imporvement - sling to sticks to bipods to sand bags - the heavier Rifle will provide more accuracy in the field - other things being equal (scope power, caliber distance etc)! I try not to shoot at running Big Game but sometimes it is the only option. I carry the bigger Rifles for use when this option is chosen. I do better with the more massive Rifles - its that simple!
Personally, I, prefer the heavier Rifles over the ultralights when Big Game Hunting and I don't hesitate to recommend them to others.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG, you may be able to shoot your heavy rifles better than I can shoot my ultralights from field positions, but the point is moot because I can make hits within reasonable range with my lightweights. My steady stix are in their little belt pouch where they belong when I am not resting the rifle on them and my non rifle hand is free. They only come out when they are needed, and it only takes 3-4 seconds to have them set up with the gun rested on them. Most of the time I don't need them because I can make the shots I need from the sitting position or offhand with a tight sling. If there is a tree or rock available I will ususally be able to improvise a rest. I only need the stix for very long and/or difficult shots. Personally I think it is a bit irresponsible to shoot at unwounded game at anything much over 300-325 yards (this is a personal thing and is in no way meant to impune your hunting methods/preferences). For me this is pretty easily accomplished with a lightweight gun. My lightweights are not the typical lightweights that you will see on the gun dealer racks. They are custom stocked, custom barreled guns that have very lightweight carbon fiber stocks and heavier than average barrels. This makes the balance somewhat muzzle heavy. They hold and swing very well, particularly when my arms aren't tired from lugging them over hill and dale all bloody day. As to your accuracy comments, my favorite right now is a lightweight .25/284 that was cobbled together for me by Pac-nor and Lone Wolf. It routinely groups three shots into 1.5 inches...at 250 yards. How much more accuracy do I really need? If your heavy guns make you more confident in your shooting then good for you. My preference is for lighter guns...good for me too! Sorry to ramble but it ticks me off when somebody who lives 2000 miles away tries to tell me what works where I live and hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougw1969:
Sorry to ramble but it ticks me off when somebody who lives 2000 miles away tries to tell me what works where I live and hunt.

Sir -
Your disparaging - and entirely unprovoked remarks regarding Texans, would seem to be the very thing that you say "ticks you off".

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dougw1969: I am willing to bet that you can not shoot 1.5" groups at 250 yards over your shooting sticks under field conditions!
You would though, have a much better chance of doing so (or even coming close to doing so!) with a Rifle of the weight I am recommending and the method I prefer.
Your opinion of irresponsibility has nothing what so ever to do with the way many responsible people Hunt!
I have killed quite a number of heads of Big Game at and beyond the 400 yard mark!
My then 14 year old son killed his first head of Big Game using my method (heavy Rifle, rested front and rear - no wobbling sticks for support!) at a Leica lasered 404 yards! The wonderful Antelope he killed with one shot adorns the wall of our home! And we feasted upon its flesh!
Do not lose any sleep or over worry yourself regarding that irresponsible shot! It wasn't, and you have better things to do than to decide who is responsible (capable?) and who is not!
I am thrilled that you are happy with your custom Rifles and can shoot them accurately (in your opinion) to ranges you choose! I am quite certain the day will come (if you do much Hunting!) that you will need to make a 350 or a 400 yard shot or risk not getting another try at a particular Big Game Animal!
If you have a heavy Rifle and a "good" rest system you will be more likely to be succesful in that endeavor.
At the range with your bench rest or your sand bags you probably do not need anymore accuracy than you profess, IF, you are happy with only shooting Big Game from your rest at the range you have the right set up! I am talking in the field and at targets that are moving or prone to move quickly.
Again, I advise you, to take the small amount of time and the small amount of trouble needed to prove to YOURSELF that a more massive Rifle swings smoother and allows you to keep a steadier sight picture on a moving target than a lighter Rifle! ESPECIALLY an ultra-light Rifle!
Again don't take my word for this - prove it to yourself.
Have a good season there 2,000 miles away!
And by the way do you think the distance you are from me has any bearing on how steady one can hold a Rifle under field conditions! I have to admit I laughed at that part of your posting! LOL! Maybe the altitude I Hunt at also has a strong bearing on how steady I can hold my Rifles in the field? LOL!
And like Gcf alludes to, be careful in your postings - if you can't take it, don't dish it out seems to come to mind after reading your last post.
Again have a good season but be sure and borrow a heavier Rifle and prove for yourself and to your self that mass makes steadiness! I wonder why the Bench Rest folks use heavy Rifles?
I think the answer is - that they shoot better than lighter Rifles! Agreed?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey VG that goat your bud shot in the "Roots" last year, what time of year did he do the critter in? And how was the hair quality?

After 25 years of applying I finally drew this year. I am gonna do a full body mount and will most likely wait till Nov, I want the best hair I can get!

Gracias

Mark D

I was down in my area the other day (after chatting with the Shedhorn gang and looking at property of course) work first you know. I did look at a couple of dozen of them. I do love to watch those critters. Come on November, my birthday is the 12th so I am planning an assault that day.

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Dobrenski: That one was taken on the fifth day of the season! I was in on two Mt. Goat scoutings and then harvests last fall. The first was taken on the 3rd day of the season in another (nearby) mountain range. That first Mt. Goat that was taken on the third day of the season last year was in a herd of exactly 25 Mt. Goats! As we were watching the 25 Goats approach us through our spotting scopes we verified 7 Billies in the "herd" (black musk gland behind each horn)! Most still had their summer/fall coats! But 2 had their full (well apparently full) winter coats on! I was surprised by this as well as the number of Goats in that herd! Luckily these two full plummaged Goats also had the best horns! One was killt and the rest of the herd ran off - I have a picture of the 24 of them strung out across a rockslide!
So I am saying that like the Deer the transition from summer/fall pelts to winter pelts occurs at different times for different individual animals of a particular species!
The first Goat from the roots was less well furred but still made for a dandy full size wall mount!
I know the "roots" now pretty well (the high country) if thats where your tag is good for I can add some info for ya! The folks at Shedhorn were VERY helpful as was the fellow (owner I think?) of Bugs and Bullets in Butte, Montana! His wife got a DANDY year before last in the roots! It was well furred and early in the season also!
November scares me a little for Mt. Goat Hunting! October pelts should be pretty near "prime" I am guessing? Late October for sure.
I know folks in Alaska that wait til very late in their season (late November) and they fly the salt water canals and watch the near shoreline cliffs for Goats. When seen they plan their next moves accordingly and shoot them. Drag them to the plane and come up with the most glorious late season pelts and mounts!
I shot a Booner in S.E. Alaska a while back and he only had 3 teeth left in his whole mouth! He was a monster Goat and believe it or not he was so old instead of turning gray some of his hairs were BLACK! I could not afford a full body mount back then but I would give my left eye tooth to have that opportunity again!
I would like a full mounted Goat someday! I hope I get the chance again someday!
Good luck on your venture!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Howdy VG:

I have been following this thread with great interest. It turns out it is an Eastern VS Western thing. Back in Penna, why all you need to hunt deer is a "frickin" shot/slug gun. Those guys hunt in the "woods". Its not like us Western folks, who may have to shoot across a canyon now and then. Eastern hunters, don't even have an idea, that we may not be able to stalk our way close, because of the terrain.

I think the guy from Penna, has a nerve, he talks about not liking hunters 2000 miles away telling him how to hunt, but what is he doing, telling us how it is.

Had I drawn my Wyoming antelope tag this year, my hunt was going to be on a hill that I had picked out, a large buck who was hanging around this heard that was about 500yds away from the hill. I was going to use my 270 Win. Sendero, set up with a rest, and I was going to pop that buck. No doubt about it! One shot lights out. Easy if the wind is not howling.

Regards

Jerry Eden

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougw1969:
Sorry to ramble but it ticks me off when somebody who lives 2000 miles away tries to tell me what works where I live and hunt.

I couldn't agree more! Anyone who is arrogant enough to do that is just a dumbass.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would imagine that the only folks who purchased them were lazy Texans who sit around on their brains in their tripod stands using those itty bitty deer that they shoot for target practice.

So how about showing us some pictures of your biggy wiggy deer. What edition of Boone & Crockett has your name in it? Oh, let me guess you don't believe in entering all your "book" deer. lol

According to an article in the American Hunter Magazine October 2005 edition Texas came in fifth for a total of 14 B&C bucks harvested. Since it only named the top ten states Pennsylvania does not make the list.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, Varmintguy, I concede. You are bigger, stronger, and in much better physical condition than me. You are also a much better hunter and rifle shot than I could ever hope to be. Does that make you happy, or do I have to concede that your dick is probably bigger than mine too?

My original comments about the Remington Sendero were entirely made tongue in cheek. I work in the outdoor sports industry and have to listen to people gripe about manufacturers not producing a product that they love, but that nobody can sell. Trust me, with the way the industry is headed, no manufacturer is going to drop a product that sells well. They can't afford to lose the sales.

As to my preference for light and ultralight rifles. That is exactly what it is...MY PREFERENCE! Yes I know that heavy guns will most often outshoot my lightweights, expecially from field positions. I NEVER SAID THEY WOULDN'T. I only said that lightweights shoot well enough for any shot that I am willing to take at unwounded game.

As to my preference in hunting style, I never said that it is irresponsible for you or anybody else to shoot game at very long range. I said that I feel irresponsible if I shoot unwounded big game that is very far away. Yes someday I may miss an opportunity to harvest an animal because of this self imposed restriction, but that is my choice. For me the thrill of the hunt is getting as close to an animal as I can before the shot. Sometimes that means that the animal wins, and that's OK for me. Sometimes it means I pass on an opportunity to harvest a trophy and shoot an average animal. I'm OK with that too...it gives me stories to tell in camp.

Let me ask you one question. Why is it that you think you understand my preferences and tastes in rifles and hunting so much better than me that you can sit somewhere 2000 miles away and tell me what kind of guns I should like and how I should hunt in territory that you most likely have never laid eyes on?

I have tried heavy guns. I don't like them. They don't point well for me, and they really don't handle well in my hands. Why is this such a problem for you? It seems as if you have adopted an attitude that anybody who doesn't do it your way is doing it the wrong way.

I never meant this to turn into an East vs. West debate. I understand that the conditions you hunt in are very different than we have here in PA. Varmintguy, I really appreciated reading your different perspective on the subject of big game hunting with varmint type rifles until you insisted on acting like an asshole about it. Just becuase I don't necesarily agee with you doesn't mean I can't see and understand your perpective. I only wish you could set aside your larger than life attitude and show some respect. Just because I don't like the same kind of guns as you doesn't mean that I am some sort of idiot.

M16, you will never see my name in a B&C book. You may eventually see a deer head mounted in my home, if I ever kill one truly worth mounting. But then again maybe not. I'm pretty much content to harvest the first legal, mature specimen that presents a good opportunity for me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dougw1969: Thank you for the compliments but they do not make me happy! I knew my superiority over you was intact way before you admitted it! What does make me happy - correcting dipshits like you makes me happy! And I will continue to do so with or without YOUR permission!
You are now making stuff up as you go! Your arguments are baseless and not based on any extensive experiences like I have. I will enclose a brief synopsis of my just now concluded Antelope/Varmint Hunt in which I and my 3 partners used heavier than "normal" Rifles EXCLUSIVELY! This Hunt was conducted in the most difficult of conditions and long range shooting was MANDATORY!

Please note the followingcopy of my Antelope/Varmint Hunt recap:
Oh-oh!
I guess I was absolutely not supposed to be able to do it but, YES, I did make a VERY long shot on a very beautiful Antelope Buck with my (DARE I SAY IT?) - REMINGTON Rifle!
My Leica Model 800 rangefinder read 441 yards to the ground the creature was standing on just before I shot!
Yeah, just one shot from my Remington Sendero in caliber 270 Winchester brought to bag this nifty trophy!
It must have been one of those "lucky" shots that the Remington naysayers always have as their specious retort!
I don't think so!
LOL!
This Remington factory stock Rifle was (and is) so accurate (and consistently so) that I have complete confidence in it! No barrel floating - no bedding job - no recrowning - no brand allegiance extravagance, just year after year - decade after decade of accuracy and reliability this Remington and from my many other Remingtons.
Two other Remington Rifles also performed admirably on this just concluded Hunt for my Hunt mates!
My Antelope creature was brought to bag on THE most difficult Antelope Hunt I have ever endured (and I have been on at least 50 or 60 of them)!
Snow nearly a foot deep to begin with then melting snow and the resulting quagmire of gumbo and then two days of rain to make access to Antelope areas not only next to impossible but very dangerous (gumbo rollovers!).
I trudged my Sendero into a field that was so difficult to walk in and exhausting that I had to rest every 100 yards (on flat ground!)!
When it came time to make this long shot I had complete confidence in the Rifle - its safety - its accuracy - its trigger and its expected performance.
My rig was sighted in to be dead on at 250 yards and this shot was simply a matter of ranging holdover and proper trigger technique! The Remington did the rest!
I again reiterate thet the Remington naysayers of today simply have not had enough in the field and at the range experience with them! No offense intended!
Long live Remington!
We were all set to electronic call and night spot the numerous Coyotes in the area but off pavement travel was impossibly difficult in the day and would have been suicidal at night!
I did kill one of the 11 Coyotes we saw with my backup Remington 700 VLS in caliber 260 Remington! The Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet did a good job of anchoring him right there (DRT!). But this shot was only 250 yards or so and nothing real special like my Antelope shot!
The Prairie Dogs did come out in a couple of towns that we Hunted around and I got to kill a couple with my 17 HMR on the last day in our Antelope camp! The last day of our Hunt the Sun came out and showed my guest from New York and Washington just how beautiful the high plains can be!
Well I have to go clean the gumbo off of that "run of the mill" Sendero of mine!
Nothing the "Remington naysayers" have espoused has even come close to convincing me to ever let this fine Rifle out of my arsenal!
Long live Remington.
My close friend from Seattle had the only non-Remington Rifle along on the Hunt and he got his first Antelope with a lasered 355 yard shot using his Browning Medallion Grade (gold engraving and inlays!) bolt action in 300 Winchester Magnum! He bought that Rifle in Viet Nam in the late 1960's from the PX there!
He was just ecstatic with his first Antelope and it was the best we took on this trip. Its at the taxidermist being skinned as I write this.
Long live Remington!
Long live the Antelope and the high plains Varmints!
The drought is over in Montana it appears!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Dougw1969: I just love hammering you "know-it-alls" with real facts and real experiences - in short - WITH REALITY!
Are the Laws of Physics different 2,000 miles or 12,500 miles distant from where I Hunt?
No dougw1969, I can tell you that the Laws of Physics are the same everywhere on earth and if you are using a heavier Rifle out in the field (any where on earth!) it will provide you with a steadier sight picture, better accuracy (other variables being equal!) and more game brought to bag with fewer problems than a lighter Rifle!
Now if you want to stick with your "made up" contention that an ultra-lite Rifle will swing smoother, steadier and truer than a heavier Rifle and is more accurate (or just as accurate as) than a heavier Rilfe - then you are just WELCOME to stay imbedded in fantasy land! But DO NOT expect anyone who has actual in field experiences with Sendero type Rifles, to believe it!
I don't!
By the way dougw1969, is there something wrong NOW with my name being in the Boone and Crockett Record Books of North American Big Game?
I can't wait to hear the blather you espouse in this regard!!!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG, are you illiterate or did you not actually read any of my posts? Congratulations you are a jackass. I am not a Remington naysayer. There are more Remington rifles in this house than all other brands combined. I have never claimed that any of my lightweights were more accurate or more stable than your heavyweights. My only claim is that the lightweight guns that I like to use work very well for the way I like to hunt. Here's a challenge for you. Our deer (rifle) season opens November 28. Be here (and bring one of your heavies) and prove how much you know. Hopefully, you and your ego will both fit on the same airplane, but I fear they will probably charge you for two tickets.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Congratulations you're a jackass.

LOL, too true... you've just discovered what many on this forum already have figured out! Doug, I sincerely apologize for GopherBoy's behavior on behalf of the entire state of Montana... Big Grin !

Maybe Wyoming will take him...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad. I know not all Montanans are that way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad: The only behavior you need to apologize for is yours!
You do not have the mental capacity to worry about anyone other than maybe yourself.
Come on now a TRUE Montanan would have some type of meritorious argument or they would not get involved in an argument in the first place! OR maybe YOU are not a true Montanan - huh BRADLEY? LOL!

Doug1969: Your LATEST imbecilic post is so berift of any meaningful utterances that you have obviously lost the argument - given up so to speak.
I accept your concession!
And no amount of you or I or anyone else re-reading your postings will conjure up fact one - or relavenet comparisons! And as for your stupid dare, for me to get on a plane and pay to fly and pay to Hunt in a place I have absolutely no interest in Hunting is also imbecilic and berift of any argumentative merit!
I have proven already this Antelope season how well my "heavy Rifle" works! If you choose to ignore that AND the laws of physics that only further proves your shortcomings!
Come up with an argument or continue with your immaturity outbursts - I kind of have the feeling you PREFER to be immature and irrational!
He-he!
By the way on November 28th I will be putting away my Deer/Elk/Bear Hunting gear and I will be gearing up for the beginning of the hound Hunting portion of our Mt. Lion season as well as getting ready for the beginning of Bobcat season (December 1st to as late as February 15th)! I also plan on Hunting Wolverine this year as I have obtained inteligence on where a couple of Wolverine have taken up a territory!
Hows the Cougar and Wolverine Hunting by the way back there in Pennsylvania?
NOTHING in Pennsylvania interests me more than these endeavors I have planned!
And if you are even interested at all in finding out the physics of Riflemanship by the way let me re-ask this of you - have you gone out and borrowed a "heavy Rifle" and actually fired it in the filed as yet?
Care to answer that one, oh small bladdered one (and I suspect other small appendages grace your frame as well!) or do you just like to "shoot" off your mouth without any practical experience?
I will be waiting breathlessly for your report!
He-he!
Doug you are obviously new and inexperienced and way out of your league! And you have been showed up for a lack of experience and for being a bone head.
Try and get some trigger and field time under your belt and get back to me with SOME kind of rational argument - please.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Senderos, one in .25-06 and one.300 Win. Mag., as well as a Varmint Synthetic in .22-250. All are supremely accurate with their preferential loads. I carried the .300 WM on an antelope hunt at 6500' elevation, and although it weighs 10 lb., 13 ozs, unloaded, I found it easy to carry up and down the slopes. Furthermore, it was very steady on a monopod due to that weight. I could have carried a lighter gun, but I doubt it would have been as steady to hold in the gusting winds. Some prefer a lighter weight firearm, but as long as I'm physically able to tote it, my Senderos will prevail as my wide open spaces hunting arms.

Don Stewart

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VG, At this point any further conversation with with you is a waste of my time. When you're ready to stop talking about how much you know and prove some of it let me know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sendero in 7mmSTW, it is unbelievably
accurate. I don't mind the weight and I've packed it on some major hiking in elk and deer country.
This year I tryed the Gunslinger belt and day pack
unit, it exceeded any thing I hoped for I had both hands free all the
time and with the total weight of the rifle resting on my hips.
I hardly noticed I was carryig a 12 lb. rifle
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strawboss, great minds think alike! I have a
Sendero in 25-06, now a match prepped 25-06AI,A
300 mag Lam. stock Sendero & a 22-250 Var. Syn.!
I also use a RRA .223 24" Varmiter with a Wilson
Bull Match Barrel & trigger. I returned from a
Wyoming Antelope & Mule Deer hunt, 8 of us had
20 tags & we filled them. Me & my brother each
took a 25-06AI Sendero but 5 of us filled tags
with these 2 rifles. One person in the party missed their Mule Deer Buck twice with a Browning A-Bolt Stalker in .270 because the wind
was whipping around & she could not hold steady.
I handed her the Sendero & it was a bang-flop!
I am amused when someone tries to tell me what
the proper weight of a rifle is, it just isn't the same for everyone. We are all different sizes & different strenght & stamina levels. Besides as someone already mentioned, it is also
relative to how you carry the rifle! When I know that I will carry the rifle all day, I have a rubber sling that allows me to carry the gun like a M60, but yet bring it to action quickly. Before I bought the sling I would carry it all day & it was not a big deal.
I also have a few light rifles & they have their
application & to me it is all application driven, but when I hunt Antelope, Mule Deer or
White Tails from a stand, the Sendero's are THE
weapon of choice. I will continue to use both
heavy & light rifles as common sense dictates
& even though some of my ancestors are from the great State of Texas, Texas has nothing to do with it! I would never blast Texas anyway, as I never see anyone from Texas trying to take my gun rights away!!!

Posts: 73 | Location: Pocahontas, AR | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod, welcome to the AR website and thanks for your kind words. I'm not too far from you over there, and bought my Airedale from a kennel just west of Pocachontas. Your experiences with a heavy barreled rifle in the wind mirror mine, and I've never found my .25-06 lacking for the small deer here in West Tennessee.

Don Stewart

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote