New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 Howa/Vanguard
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After checking out many different types of rifles, I am really interested in getting a .223 caliber Howa. I actually have two questions:
1) Is there a signifigant difference in rifles between the standard Howa 1500 and the Weatherby Vanguard (other than the flutes in the bolt, like a better finish etc.)
2)How heavy a projectile can a 1-12" twist shoot well? No reloading in my future, will most likely shoot factory 55gr loads and try the 60 gr partition or 64gr power point loads for larger critters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only own 1 Howa, it's a 223 stainless varmint in synthetic stock, barrels not floated. The stock is poor quality, flimsy plastic. Still it shoots fair. I adjusted the trigger down to about 3lbs. I've only put 40 gr. Blitzkings and 40 VMax handloads through mine.

64gr. might be pushing it, it might stablize them. I've only shot heavy bullets in 1-9 and faster twist barrels in 223.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I had, would shoot anything 60 grains and under quite well.. It was a Howa version....heavy barrel, 1 in 12 twist....

It also did very well, with 63 grain Sierra SMPs, 64 grain Winchester Power Points, and Speer 70 grain SMPs.....for the heavier bullets....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

What size of groups were you getting with those heavier bullets? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just trying to get a little better idea what a guy could expect realistically from one of these guns with the heavy for caliber bullets.

Tom

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
I load for a friends Howa Thumbhole Sporter in .223. The barrel sports a 1:12 twist and will not shoot 55gr ploytipped bullets worth a crap. With 50gr Sierra Blitzkings and Hodgen Benchmark powder, we can realistically expect 1/2 moa accuracy on any given day- not too shabby for a $500 rifle.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington 700VSSF with a 1:12" barrel and I can tell you that factory loaded "SS109" ammo won't even land on a 2' square target sheet at 100yards and most of the time won't impact within four feet of point of aim at 200yds.
and where it does land is entirely random.

Feed it cheap FMJ 55gr bullets and I can make smiley faces out of 1" "target dots" at 100yards

Feed it Barnes VLC's or 50gr ballistic tips and in calm conditions I can break match sticks 2 shots out of three

I don't expect any other 1:12" twist barrel would behave any differently.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote