New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Facelift
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

I bought this rifle a few years ago, because a .223 M70 Winchester is a pretty rare configuration. The plain stock with 12.5" LOP was always something I wanted to change even though the rifle shoots well. Anyway I got a FWT take off from a buddy who bought this stock for his .270 Win and was bummed when he realized his mistake, luckily I could come to his rescue.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedDoes iy shoot better with the new stock? Roll Eyesroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That looks great taylorce

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Very nice, now go shoot something!

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedDoes iy shoot better with the new stock? Roll Eyesroger beer

Doesn't shoot any worse, this rifle has never been a tack driver. However, it's good enough to shoot a coyote a ways out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Youth Ranger in 308 sitting in the same stock... It does improve the looks for sure!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also took a youth Ranger and put it in an adult stock. Mine is a 243 and I picked up a Win Lightweight stock on ebay with pretty nice wood for like $50. All in, it was much cheaper than tracking down an older Featherweight

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At one time I believe Winchester might have sold a combo like that.

Came with a plain stock to start the youth with then the nicer bigger stock as the youth grew up.

I could be wrong but that what my brother said when he brought a combo like that.

Posts: 19606 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice taylorce1: Perhaps you guys can help me. I'm looking for grandson's first rifle: As we're a model 70 family, I want one for Colton: looking for either a .243 or .270 with featherweight contour barrel and short stock. A youth M70 would be perfect, as I could find a shortened stock and keep the original for when he gets older. Or one of the M70 lightweights ( not featherweight) they made back in the 80s. Hoping I can find something in the $400. range. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
400 might be a little tough, but if you find a short action featherweight I've still got the short youth stock for that barrel contour

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks milehigh: will keep that in mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunbroker.com has the Youth Ranger in .243 and they're selling for $500+. You can probably pick up a Ranger or M670 in .270 for around $400, but it will not have the FWT contour barrel.

This is not my rifle, he started off asking $500 and has dropped it to $425. I can help you make contact if interested.

quote:
Great shape, shoots good, just in time for deer season. I got this used from the original owner and have shot 1 box though it. Factory 75 gr HP shot under an inch. !!!!!!!!!!Scope not included I will leave the rings and bases!!!!!!

Thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw that one. I think I want to stick with a featherweight contour barrel though.