New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 TSX or NP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My son is hunting for the first time this year. has anyone used the new tipped barnes TSX on big deer? How does it compare to the Partition?

I'm a partition fan in my .300wm. Never shot a barnes bullet. I like the fact that the Partition always expands and still gives an exit. Are the Barnes too tough for deer sized game? Do the new tipped bullets expand better than the regular TSX?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
TSX or TTSX. I do not see a difference in my use of them. I've used Partitions since they came out, but they can't compete on an equal footing with the copper. I would not choose a .243 for moose, but if that's what I had and it had TSX/TTSX bullets in it I wouldn't think twice. They have opened quickly enough to make a quarter sized hole on the entrance side of deer chests and in every instance destroyed everything in the chest. Made a quarter sized hole on the way out. Bigger calibers don't seem to make bigger holes.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
The TSX handles bone much better than the partition. In 6mm, I've seen partitions have the nose knocked off if'n it hits the femur or shoulder. The TSX stays intact and the animal usually drops.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My son shot a good sized mule deer last year with the Barnes TSX in a .243. On a broadside shot at 350 yards, the bullet went all the way through the chest. Took out the heart and the buck staggered in a circle then dropped. The most blood I've seen. Great bullet.

It's all in the reflexes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've got quite a thread going on the TSX a few threads done.

I love the TSX, but it has a few limitations like it needs an impact velocity between 2200 and 3000 fps to insure expansion without petal shear.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LWD

The TSX will reliably expand below 2100fps. My daughter shoots a 300 whisper with a muzzle velocity of 2100fps with reliable expansion out to 100 yards.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry,

which bullet?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
For years, I used the 100 gr. Partition over 43 gr. of H4831 in my .243 for deer. I probably shot 20-25 deer with that load. We have big deer up here and the shots are usually between 30-60 yards. I never lost a deer hit with that combination, but sometimes it was a lot of work to find them, as it never provided an exit wound and the deer would typically go 50-100 yards before dropping.

I switched to the 85 gr. TSX a few years back. I've never had one not completely pass through and it doesn't wreck a lot of meat. Hands down, I'd got with the 85 gr. TSX in any 6mm for big game.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
20-25 deer hit with a 100 gr NP and none of them exited? Are you shooting them length ways (chest to bung hole)?

Posts: 325 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 11 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
For years, I used the 100 gr. Partition over 43 gr. of H4831 in my .243 for deer. I probably shot 20-25 deer with that load. We have big deer up here and the shots are usually between 30-60 yards. I never lost a deer hit with that combination, but sometimes it was a lot of work to find them, as it never provided an exit wound and the deer would typically go 50-100 yards before dropping.

I switched to the 85 gr. TSX a few years back. I've never had one not completely pass through and it doesn't wreck a lot of meat. Hands down, I'd got with the 85 gr. TSX in any 6mm for big game.

I'd be very interested to hear the relative distance travelled. Shorter? The same but with blood or longer but with blood?

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
The last one I shot with a .243 was with a Barnes 85 grain TSX. Whe the bullet hit, all four legs kicked out and he dropped like a truck fell on him. He jumped up, ran straight away 50-80 feet fell, jumped back up and ran right back to where he was hit and dropped for good. 3 drops of blood is all I saw outside the deer.

170 lb buck hit last two ribs low on the left side on the way in. Destroyed the heart and lungs completely. The heart was laid open, all four valves and chambers perfectly exposed, heart was hinged at the base and loose in the chest. The bullet took the first two ribs close to the sernum on the way out of the chest then travelled most of the way up the neck before exiting. 30+ inches of total penetration.

When you drop blood pressure to zero instantly and the bullet passing into the chest through the diaphragm sucks the omentum into that hole you won't get much blood with a low exit. This one had his head down feeding and the exit high on the neck precluded any exit blood leak.

The lack of blood scared hell out of me. Still does. That deer was 100 feet or so from a willow swamp. I saw the bullet hit, and I knew where it went. I never even for a millisecond considered jacking another round into the gun, much less shooting again.

It wouldn't have made a difference what I shot it with, not diameter or weight.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot Texas whitetails for 40 years with 95 gr partitions and never lost one. I would say 90% dropped right there. I have allot of confidence in the gun and choose my shots carefully. Our deer field dress about 130-150 Lbs typically. Some get larger. I have never seen a reason to change. Shot dozens of pigs with this load; 30 lbs - 250 lbs; no issue!
I have recently shot some of the Win 95 gr XP3's and they shoot lights out in my rifles (on the range). I am anxious to try them on some deer this year.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
...the new tipped barnes TSX on big deer? How does it compare to the Partition?

I'm a partition fan ...
One minor detail the masses seemed to neglect telling you is the Politically Correct Bullets(PCBs) are playing right into the hands of the Radical-Liberal Ultra-Leftist fools who want to make Shooting so expensive that we will not be able to afford to Practice or Plink.

They have a strong effort going to Ban Lead for shooting in every aspect. First it was Ducks and Geese. Now the Condor, plus the totally Bogus - Meat tainted with Lead - fiasco.

So, you know how well the Partitions work, just like they always have. If you use one of an appropriate size and enough velocity, they will Kill anything you want in the USA. And they do't play into the hands of the obummer fools.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The TSX bullets just plain work, as do the Partitions. Hot Core raises the political point, which you may or may not want to consider. Of course Kalifornia's lead ban predates the current presidential administration by years and years, but it does threaten to spread. That said, Nosler now offers the all-copper E-tip, and Hornady the gilding metal GMX.
And when I left for Namibia two years ago, I brought along boxes of TSX's for my PH, who thinks they are the best thing going.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
One minor detail the masses seemed to neglect telling you is the Politically Correct Bullets(PCBs) are playing right into the hands of the Radical-Liberal Ultra-Leftist fools who want to make Shooting so expensive that we will not be able to afford to Practice or Plink.

They have a strong effort going to Ban Lead for shooting in every aspect. First it was Ducks and Geese. Now the Condor, plus the totally Bogus - Meat tainted with Lead - fiasco.

So, you know how well the Partitions work, just like they always have. If you use one of an appropriate size and enough velocity, they will Kill anything you want in the USA. And they do't play into the hands of the obummer fools.

Best of luck to you.

If the TSX works, who cares what the goofies want, its your choice. But not to use it because of California's idiocy, thats plain silly too.

Barnes bullets have been around long before the California lead ban, and they have a proven reputation on game. I have used partitions for years, but I am quite impressed by the TSX bullets, especially in the 6mm class.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hot Core

Playing into the hands of the ultra left???? Sure partitions are great and so are TSX and TTSX's and if anything all copper presents an alternative so that HUNTING CANT BE BANNED because of the bogus lead theory.

TSX's open up at fairly low velocities, just go to their web site and they show a slow speed clip of a TSX opening up on a 2" gelatin block. You may blow off the petals at super high velocity but they will almost always completely penetrate, especially a deer.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
As a non Barnes user (so far) it seems there are big +'s for both projectiles. use whichever is most acurate in your rifle and you win. It doesn't get better than that.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote