New
Find
Notify
Tools

2506 barrel length
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking at getting a couple of new shootin' irons.One of them happens to be a 22" barrel 2506.Is a 22" barrel long enough in your opinion to get the powder burned,to get the velocity we have all come to know and love?The 2506 is one of my all time favorites,I've probably shot 50 to 60 head of game with this caliber with unbeleivable results.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 25-06 I would want at least a 24" barrel to maximise velocity.It has a lot of case capacity for a .257" bore and benefits from a longer barrel.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wolfer

The 25-06 really benefits from a longer barrel,at least 24 inches,26 inches is better.

I once owned one with a 22 inch barrel,the muzzle flash used to drive me crazy especially at night & figure a lot of velocity was not being obtained as a lot of the powder was burned after leaving the barrel,friend of mine had one with a 26 inch barrel,much less muzzel flash & blast & a flatter shooting rifle.

Preformance was ok with the shorter barrel in 25-06 but if I wanted a rifle with a shorter barrel i'de go for a 243,260 7mm-08 or 308.

tumbo

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger no 1 with a 26 in I would not want it shorter maybe even a 28 would be fun to get the extra vel. out of it.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 25-06 does benifit from the longer barrel due to it's lower expansion ratio. When Remington came out with their Mountain Rifle in the 25-06, all you wound up with was a very loud rifle with 257 Rob. velocity. Just my opion [Cool]

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Thunderstick>
posted
A 26" barrel is the way to go in order to realize its full potential. Then use RL22 and watch your chrono and smile.