New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer .85 grn .243 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has any one shot any game (antelope/deer) with this bullet ? How did it perform and what kind of accuracy does it give you ?
I took my Browning a-bolt to the range yesterday with several factory loads and handloads and much to my suprise this speer .85 grn shot very tiny groups. The Remington factory 100 grn load also shot small groups. but the Hornady 100 grn,sierra 85 game king, nosler ballistic tip and winchester power point did poorly. So I'm thinking of using the Speer .85 as a dual purpose load for coyotes and the occasional deer. Imput appreciated

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a great overlooked bullet. Higher BC than most 85 and 87 grainers. My featherweight is an honest 5/8" gun and with IMR-4064 and IMR-4350 and the Speer 85gr Spire BT.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 90 grain Speer is a tougher bullet if you need that....

I prefer the 90 grain Speer over the 85.. however, if the 85 shoots better, well you know which one that rifle would be shooting...

good luck..
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Iv'e taker several whitetails with that bullet in loaded a 243 Striker(handgun)to just shy of 3000 fps at the muzzle .

One buck , about 180 lbs , shot at 35 steps or so........bullet broke the near shoulder , holed the lungs and ended balled up just under the hide on the far side, still in one piece , although it was kinda a small piece. Buck gave no reaction to the shot , but ran 20 yards , stopped and tipped over dead.

Another smallish spike shot right up the keyster at bout 150 yards.....bullet made it to the chest cavity , but I never found it . An instantaneous kill .

Another nice buck , 5x5 , around 200 lbs , and again 150 yards . Hit the near side lung and the bullet exited the off flamk leaving about a 1 inch hole . Buck ran 80 yards and dropped dead as a doornail .

Of course , a rifle will be driving the bullet faster and make for more rapid expansion , but you might be shooting at longer ranges too.....I think the little Speer would be a very good choice for yotes and an occational odd deer.......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hard.....

I've used this bullet for many, many years on European Roe Deer with complete satisfaction.

Like yourself, I started with a bunch of bullets years ago and the Speer's not only shot accurately with almost every powder combination but have delivered more bang-flops without alot of blood-shot meat, too.

Sorry, to hear about the Sierra 85 gr. Game Kings not being up to snuff, 'cause they're my second choice.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I have never used the Speer, may some day, but shoot 243 less, more 6BR, anyway, I have always had good accuracy and deadly deer kills with Sierra's 85 BTHP.

Heard many glowing reports from single shot handgun hunters on the 85 speer.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
My 45 yr old bench rifle loves the 85 gr sierra. In the dark ages, the hornady secant ogive and the remington match bullet did too. Gonna have to get it out some day and see what's left in it.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use hornady 87 grain hornady on roe deer and muntjac. it's a good bullet.
go for traditional spitzers

steve

Posts: 36 | Location: Lincolnshire Uk | Registered: 02 August 2006Reply With Quote