THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Is is possible to convert a Ruger M77 RSI to 6.5x54 MS ???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is is possible to convert a Ruger M77 RSI to 6.5x54 MS ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is the case head diamter of the 6.5x54 (.453 in.) too small to work in a bolt face that is made to fit the case head diameter of the 8x57/30-06 family of cartrides(.473 in.)? Are the magazine rails too wide to work with the slightly skinnier case? Will this cartridge work in a short (bolt) action? I know that I am asking a lot but any input on any of the questions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While it sounds like a fairly good idea, I don't think it will work. First, the smaller case head of the 6.5x54 will probably be too loose a fit to operate properly, meaning extraction and ejection may not be 100 percent reliable. Second, is the rifle a tang safety model or the Mk II? The ejector system of the tang safety model would make it even more unreliable IMO. Third, the maximum cartridge OAL is 3.063" according to the Hornady manual. That's probably based on the use of a 160 gr. bullet. This leads me to believe the magazine will be too short to accomodate the cartridge. I just measured the magazine on my Ruger RSI in .308 Win. and the length, wall to wall is 2 15/16". cartridges would have to be a bit shorter that that to fit in the box.
I can see only two alternatives. The simpler one is to just go with a .260 Remington, or search the gun auction for one of the very limited run of Ruger 77 RSIs made in 6.5x54. According to comments I've seen on a forum dedicated to Ruger firearms, there was a short run made in the 6.5 MS. I've been looking for one of those ever since I heard about them.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with PaulB on this project. I have several 6.5x54mm firearms, and have recently purchased a couple of rifles in .260 Remington. The .260 is ballistically a 6.5x54mm clone. My only compliant about my .260s is that the Remington magazines and throats appear to be too short to accept the long 160 grain class 6.5mm bullets that made the 6.5x54mm popular. However, do not let that deter you from using the .260, my rifles do very well with 120-140 grain bullets, and white tails do not know the difference.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a tang safety 77 RSI in 243 rebored to make a 260. I works fine, but I like my Remington 7 mannlicher in 260 a little better and my Interarms Mark X mannlicher in 260 a little less.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If Ruger would just chamber the M77 RSI in 6.5x55 Swede and 7x57 I'd buy one of each! I wish they would get their heads out of the sand!!

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger made up a run of tang safety long action 77 RSIs in 7x57. They are quite rare and demand a high price. I've owned 2 and currently have 1 that is NIB. I wish that they make a run of long action 77 RSIs in 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 7x57, 8x57, and 9.3x62/ I also wish that they would make a run of short actions in 260, 7mm-08, and 358. Maybe Davidson's in NC could get it done, I understand the the minimum order quantity for a special run is only 500 units.

Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just form your 6.5x54 brass from 220 swift cases and the bolt face will be the correct size.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should we all holler at Davidson's for that short run of metric guns, or even .260s???

LLS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd sign a metric RSI petition, preorder and drop my sheckels in advance!

so who is gonna start the Davidson's Metric RSI thread?

Posts: 58 | Location: Bemidji, MN | Registered: 20 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Remington will import a Zastava Manlicher! I have a Mark X .270 Manlicher, and it's a great shooter, that .270 is loud in a 20" barrel though!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger is also missing the wagon by not offering the #1 RSI in 6.5x54 MS. A lot of us rifle aficionados would buy one as the round is too much of a classic to wither on the vine. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this was a special run for a Distributor of not, and this was back in the 1980s,.... but I have seen a Tang Safety RSI Ruger factory chambered in 6.5 x 54 MS....

I remember it, because at a job interview, a company president I was interviewing with, found out that I was a fellow shooter and showed me three of his favorite rifles, that he kept in a gun safe in his office. ( small town in rural Minnesota)...

Both were factory Ruger RSIs.. one was in 250 Savage, one was in 6.5 x 54 and one was in 7 x 57.... all have factory markings on them...

I remember clearly as I was envious and have been on the lookout for one of any one of them ever since....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a guy who is pretty well connected with Ruger and he claims that Ruger says that there was only 1 Ruger 77 RSI made in 6.5x54. He claims that it was made on a special order from Sierra Bullets to do load development. Since he used to do special R&D work for Bill Ruger, Sr., like the Red Label combination gun that never got into production.

Jeff

<9.3x62>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Plateau Hunter:
Ruger is also missing the wagon by not offering the #1 RSI in 6.5x54 MS. A lot of us rifle aficionados would buy one as the round is too much of a classic to wither on the vine. Plateau Hunter

Yup. Agreed...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 260remguy:
I know a guy who is pretty well connected with Ruger and he claims that Ruger says that there was only 1 Ruger 77 RSI made in 6.5x54. He claims that it was made on a special order from Sierra Bullets to do load development. Since he used to do special R&D work for Bill Ruger, Sr., like the Red Label combination gun that never got into production.

Jeff

Jeff,

YOu mean I may have been able to see the only one in existance??? COOOOL.....

Or eles he you acquaintence isn't that connected... I remember the cartridge as it was the first time I had ever encountered it and the gentleman explained to me that it was a Greek Army cartridge but had been used by several people in Africa for shooting elephants with head shots at close range....So I went home and did some research about it...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must have seen the only 1 made. The guy who told me this was a personal friend of Bill Ruger, Sr., so he couldn't get any better connected. He was so tight that he was 1 of the small group of people who was given, or given the option to purchase, the same serial number of each new Ruger firearm that was introduced.

Actually, he had to dig pretty hard to come up with the information, as the records at Pine Tree Casting, the Ruger plant in Guild, NH, where the 77s are made, didn't have a record of any rifles ever being made in 6.5x54. Check with Rody's Gun Shop in Guild, as the 2 brothers who own that shop can answer questions about the rifles made at Pine Tree Casting that the Ruger people in CT can't or won't.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger's website that lists "all Rugers made" does not list any rifle in 6.5x54mm, #1 or M77. Still a #1 in 6.5x54mm would be very cool!!!!

LLS
Mannlicher Collector

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
why is sierra2 listed as a new member when there are over 300 posts for that handle? off topic....sorry! hope I didn't cause hijack

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Do you guys really think Ruger is going to make a run of rifles for cartridges that aren't widely available? The last time I checked, just about everything Ruger offered a rifle for, and their selection is darned broad compared to other manufacturers, was available locally in most rural locales. Perhaps that speaks to the good taste in firearms among the locals, or perhaps it just means that Ruger's marketing department did enough research to discern what was pretty widely available and what was not. Who knows?

I don't mean to pee in anyone's Wheaties, but I cannot see Ruger making a run of 6.5 M-S's at time in the foreseeable future unless they had a huge group of committed buyers. And I don't that happening soon either...

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though. Although I've never seen a 6.5x54 MS, I'd happily purchase a 6.5x54 Ruger Mannlicher, even if it ment I'd have to buy dies and expensive, hard to find brass.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I have come across odd ball Rugers here and there.... Some of the dealers do have special runs made... search around on Rugers website and they do list special runs currently being ran for dealers...

In the last year, I have seen a 7/08 stainless Ruger Number 1.. which I didn't see cataloged but it had a Ruger factory barrel on it...

Even more oddball, is I saw a Factory Number 1 in stainless and grey laminate stock, but the barrel was a heavy contour matte blued barrel in 30/06...

Both of these rifles had come in from Davidson's and were the Only one to be received according to the 2 dealers that had them.. one in Montana, one here in Oregon...

cheers
seafire
cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger has made many limited runs of non-cataloged guns, just check Davidson's site sometime. The 77RSI was never cataloged in 7mm-08 or 7x57, but there are a few of each floating around. There are even a few 77 RSIs in 358 floating around. They were never suppossed to be shipped, but were to be restocked in the 77 RLS configuration.

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 77 RSI in 243 which I purchased with the intention of rebarreling to 260 Rem. Well wouldn't you know, a dear friend of mine who has a steel plate in his back and as a consequence can no longer take recoil without suffering some discomfort wanted it. He has been very good to me over the past few years, he now owns the 243. Had he not wanted it, it would now be in 260 Rem.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ACRecurve,

I'd like to know the answer to that one myself

llsierra
LLS
Mannlicher Collector

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnly:
Just form your 6.5x54 brass from 220 swift cases and the bolt face will be the correct size.

This certainly solves the bolt face problem!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote