New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antler Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wasn't sure where to post this, but seeing as how I've been involved with deer hunting with small calibers, thought I'd post here. Saw this buck that was forked horn one side and spike the other. I'm not concerned about trophy deer as I don't have a taste for antlers, but was wondering if this deer has potential to be a trophy in future years? He is not symmetrical now, will that always be the case? I've heard once a spike always a spike---is that true?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not sure about Texas but here, a 1.5 year old buck will be at least a decent 6 pointer. But they eat corn and soybeans their whole lives.
That one might not have the best genetics, even if it was a fork horn.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will grow bigger antlers if it has enough to eat then later he needs to hold in competition with other stags to get the best areas then he is in prime age to get really big antlers.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inferior genetics is the reason TPWD encourages the harvesting of spikes.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
The size of the rack doesn't really indicate what the buck may become when mature. Especially the first rack. He may be small because he was born very late in the year and is behind in body size. His momma may have been only a 8 month old and could have been bred in January or even February by a monster buck; leaving him to be born as late as July or even early August. There can be alot of difference between one born in early May or early August looking at their first rack. When he is more mature you can then judge his quality. I never would advise shooting a button or 1.5 year old buck no matter what he looks like.

Once a spike always a spike is a myth.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Old deer with a spike will probably always be one. Young deer to early to call

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Not sure about Texas but here, a 1.5 year old buck will be at least a decent 6 pointer. But they eat corn and soybeans their whole lives.
That one might not have the best genetics, even if it was a fork horn.

Roll EyesIs that Eastern or Western point measurement?
homerroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I posed the question, but I consider it a moot point in this particular situation. Reason being is this is land owned by my son in law and he wants to be selective in what gets shot. All well and good except it's low fence and the animal that you let walk, might become steak and sausage in the next pasture. He thinks his neighbors are also selective and they may well be but then again? I'd have no way of knowing this was the same deer if I saw it in future years. Just wondering if it's current situation would be any indicator of future antlers.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO nutrition makes up the bigger factor in antler growth.
sure genetics has some say in the matter, but they just give antler shape and direction.
a poorly nourished deer might have a great 90" symmetrical rack, and a well dieted buck could have a 200" odd ball rack.
they have to have protein and calcium to make anything happen.

if it was all genetics we would all be paying
5$G a pop to shoot 200" deer off milo Hansen's farm.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shoot the does...our deer herds will decline i we don't begin to get the buck/doe ratio back in balance.

And I don't buy the "if I let him walk someone else will shoot him" argument. Someone has to step up to the plate and act like a steward of our wildlife populations. If, as a hunter, you can't control yourself and act as a conservationist first, and a mediocre antler collector second--perhaps you need to take up golf. Just a thought. Do what you want. Its a free country. But if shooting 2-3 year old basket racks is what you do then I expect that will continue to be what you do in your neck of the woods for as long as you keep killing the immature bucks...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shoot a doe here and you can forget hunting for the foreseeable future and won't need to worry about antler size.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago I shot a fork horn that was over 24" wide.

When I went to gut him I noticed his liver was full of white spots.

There is an outfitter in the area and I have always wondered if he was slipping something into feed in order to grow big antlers??

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winter kill can be so high where I live a 4 yr old buck is considered ancient. Hence, no trophy deer in the record book sense taken.
Leaving all the basket rack deer in the state wont change things for us. Hope for climate change! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
In some cases a very old buck with get spike horns, usually very large spikes..

The spike is genetic in most cases but not all, its just best to shoot them and get the gene pool off your property...A year old deer should be a fork horn in Texas..Texas parks and wildlife and Texas A&M have done some extensive studies..If you want all the facts contact them and get the printed material..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote