THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Barnes TSX Vs Hornady GMX in 223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX Vs Hornady GMX in 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wondering if anyone has had experience with these on whitetail & what were your results or thoughts?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
No experience with the GMX, but the handful of deer I've seen killed within the past couple of years with the 55 gr TSX didn't get a chance to leave the field. All taken by young hunters!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make my daughter smile. Graybird was there for my daughter's first deer at age 9.

Age 9

I was there for her second deer, quartering towards shot. Bullet broke the point of the front shoulder, and she didn't run. 20 yards.
Age 10

55 grain Barnes Vortex in a Stevens 200 makes meat in the freezer in my daughter's hands. Only downside not much of a blood trail to track if needed. Luckily my daughter has been making tracking deer easy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With back problems I may have to cut back from the rifles I have been using to something more forgiving in the recoil department.
Just want to use the best bullet for the job.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Might want to try the new Nosler Bonded 64 grain. They are always on sale at Shooters Pro Shop.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have used the 53 and 62 grain TSX with excellent results. We still have not recovered one. Have not even seen a .22 GMX yet, but the kids did kill 2 does last year with the Nosler Bonded and they were spectacular. The exits were a little bigger than the TSX, but the internal trauma was very impressive. All these have been from AR style rifles with muzzle velocities from 2850 to 3000FPS. Our ARs are all 8 and 9 twist and the 53 grain TSX has been hands down the most accurate in all 4 rifles.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
My wife has pretty much taken over my 223 in favor of her 308 . With the TSX I would have her use it on caribou and deer as she shoots it better and good hits are what count.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwana cecil:
With back problems I may have to cut back from the rifles I have been using to something more forgiving in the recoil department.
Just want to use the best bullet for the job.

If you have a 308 or a 30/06 you should try the Remington 125gr Managed Recoil loads.

They have a 125gr bullet designed for deer hunting.

My nephew and I have killed several deer and several pigs with them, with a 308.

All of our shots have been within 100 yards.

The Remington MR loads kill deer and pigs as good as normal 308 loads.

The Recoil is less than a 243, muzzle blast is reduced as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote