THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    243 win and barnes triple shocks

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

243 win and barnes triple shocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok so I ordered some of these bullets, the 85 grain triple shock solids. Looking for suggestions on what powders people have had luck with. I will be shooting them in a Tikka t3 stainless. I have used I4350 in the past so I have some available. I also have some varget which I havent had the best results with. I was loading 95gr SST with 43gr of I4350. Do the barnes solids create more or less pressure than normal bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son-in-law got the reccomendation from someone at Barnes to use Varget or 4350. He uses 39-Varget in his Tikka Whitetail Hunter, I use 38-Varget in my M70 Featherweight. Both are very accurate and effective in these rifles.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
My son and I used the 85 grain TSX over 41.5 grains of IMR 4350 on Grants Gazelle and Impala in Tanzania last week. Worked very well on both. Broadside shot passed through the Grants. Quartering shot on the Impala entered the lower neck, passed through the body and ended up under the hide behind the far shoulder. The recovered bullet looked like it could be used for a Barnes ad. Four perfect petals folded back to the solid shank. This load gives me 2800 fps out of my 20" barrelled M70 compact and shoots MOA.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was hoping for a little more velocity, somewhere in the 3300 fps range, is that possible with these bullets? This will be used for long range antelope and deer. Thanks for the quick responses.

One of Us
Picture of citori
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I can get more velocity. I put together the load before I bought a chrono. At the time accuracy was great so I didn't push it. Remember this is only a 20" barrel.

Tanzania in 2006! Had 141 posts on prior forum as citori3.

Posts: 266 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
velocity is not always the key (imho) the 6.5 x 55 fires long and heavy bullets pretty slowly, they hit above thier wieght. when shooting animals that require deep penetration, bullet integrity and maximum expansion i think you cant go far wrong with cutting the velocity down a bit. I use a .30-06 with 150gr bullets at about 2750-2800 fps, the bullets are speer spires sp. when i hit a roed deer with one of these it almost always drops over dead on the spot, carcass damage is limited and i always get an exit wound. however the deer are pretty small and the longest range i shoot is only to about 200 yards.

I have just got a .243 win which i will use on muntjac mainly. i have got some 87 gr hornady sp spitzers, i will load them at about 3000fps even though i probably could squeeze more from them.

steve

Posts: 36 | Location: Lincolnshire Uk | Registered: 02 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loaded some of these and Im impressed with their accuracy. With 38 grains of varget I shot a .4 5 shot group and iwth 40 grains of varget I shot a .6 5 shot group. Im going to stick with 40 grains because I like the extra speed and all I saw as far as pressure signs was a little primer cratering which I can live with. Wish I knew someone with a crony though. I am a little concerned with expansion, has anyone heard about them punching holes on light animals like deer?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stinkers, I would recomend you split the difference and go with 39 grains, if 40 is giving you craters,
I am faily agressive reloader but don't push your luck ! ...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
Stinkers,

I have taken a number of deer with both XBT,
and TSX bullets. I have yet to see either
bullet "Pencil" through. The expansion, and
energy transfer is impressive. If either bullet
was going to pencil, it would be the XBT, and
I think there are a few accounts on the web
of that. I have not experienced it, but I
shoot one or two bullet weights lighter, in
Barnes, due to the total copper construction.
A 130 gr. Barnes XBT(.308), leaving a 14" Savage
Striker barrel at 2775 FPS, literally blows
big holes in deer. The 130 gr. TSX bullets
show a little more uniform expansion, with
excellent energy transfer. Not to say a
soft tissue hit couldn't "pencil" through,
but I will suggest that even a more typical
lead core bullet could do that, given this
situation. Even with Barnes, good shot
placement is still important.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the penciling I read about had more to do with the bullet shedding petals at high speeds than failure to open.

TJ, I tried 38 grains and shot a .4 inch 5 shot, 39 opened up to a 2 inch group, 40 dropped back down to .6 inches for 5 shots. Id like to get as much velocity as I can and not waste too many bullets working up a load cuz they get a little pricy. Do you think slight cratering without flattening or shiny spots or sticky bolt is showing excessive pressure, like dangerous amounts? The primers werent loose or anything, which I have experienced in my 338wm occasionally, that worries me a little more. Opinions welcome!

BTW Im guestimating the velocity at around 3300fps with my current load, but Ill have to track down a crony to know for sure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really don't know how dangerous your load is, I think mabye the best thin would be to chrony your load, it could be your fast enough, at 38. If you are at 3200 or so that should be good, and if the 2 added grains only boost you by 50 or 75 FPS, claerly I would go with 38 grains.
Also consider things like temperature can increase your preasure, and altitude, so a load that walks the line on sunday at sea level might cross the line on tuesday in the mountains.
I load some prety hot loads in a few of my rifles but I back off at 1st preaure sign, Mabye just back off a half grain, or go to 38.5.
its clearly your choice but how much can you gain ? How much can you loose ?
...tj3006

freedom1st