THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Re: CZ 527 VARMINT LAMINATE .223 bedding question

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: CZ 527 VARMINT LAMINATE .223 bedding question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have the same rifle and it is truly accurate. In honesty however CZ's bedding is a joke. They say it's "epoxy" bedded but if it is epoxy must cost more than gold over there. On all of mine there has been a little dab of white material in each corner of the recoil lug channel, looks like a tiny piece of chewed gum stuck in the corner. As mentioned some rifles might shoot fine as is, but I've never seen a case where properly bedding a rifle was a detriment to accuracy and usually it's a big benifit.
I've rebedded all my CZ's. It makes them more consistent and less finicky, not the other way around.
On my Varmint Laminate not only was the bedding something of a joke but the crown was also off angle and needed re-crowning. In saying that I'm in no way disparaging CZ, I'm aware of no other rifle that compares for any where near the money. But even with that in mind there are very few production rifles that won't benifit from a little judicious tweaking. Without bragging up individual groups I will state that my CZ .223 shoots with my Coopers for accuracy and seeing it shoot at the range and in the varmint fields has motivated several of my friends to purchase rifles just like it. I have a shootin buddy who currently has two of em on order to use as platforms for A .17 MachIV and a Tactical .20 he's putting together. (I shoot a lot of sub-.22 cal stuff and he's caught the affliction).

Bottomline close as I can figure is the minimal expense of bedding and re-crowning this CZ took it from a sub-inch rifle to a solidly sub-"half" inch rifle.
My Varmint Laminate was the only one of my CZ's that needed re-crowning by the way, but all of em got re-bedded.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I have the same rifle with the kevlar hs precsion stock. Can the bedding on these need any work. It says it has an aluminum bedding block. If these need tweaking what are the signs that show that this needs attention.

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes they do benefit from a bedding job.
Signs one might help:
1. Groups that aren't round, especially if they string as the barrel heats up.
2. Group center shifts with extended firing strings (eg hot and heavy shooting in a big field of ground squirrels).
3. When you put the action in the stock and snug down the screws and you feel the action binding.
4. Clean the bottom of the action and put something in a contrasty color (grease pencil, white out, etc.) on the bedding block. Snug the action down, then take it out of the stock. Look to see if the contrasting material transfered to the bottom of the action evenly.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote