New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 Rifle Owners
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well guys: I have lusted for a 6.5x55 for a long time. I've decided to either go with a CZ 550 or Winchester Featherweight or just build one on a Model 70 long action. Can someone inform me if the Classic (controlled feed)Featherweights will work reliably with Lapua brass? I have read there are some issues with undersized dimensions on the earlier Featherweights with the push feed bolt and also that Winchester brass is sized with the "American dimensions". I presume the Lapua brass will be standard dimensioned. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
JStordahl, I have heard that the Winchester's bolt face will handle American-made 6.5 brass that has 30-06 (.473), but not the European brass like Lapua, which is .479. It may be close enough to work, but it may have sporadic feeding/ejection problems. My Swede is a Sako that is machined to use the .479, but it will also properly feed American brass - .473. The Winchester bolt can be easily opened up a bit to accommodate either. Being made in Europe, the CZ's bolt face should be made to accept the European brass. Although I have used Winchester brass, I have come to prefer Lapua. It's much more consistent in weight and they come annealed. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My own custom is based on an 09 argy with bolt face unaltered. Lapua/norma is a disaster, anything more than start loads causes bolt sticking as initial bolt lift tries to twist the fired case before proper primary extraction. Remington brass is perfect and allows book max loads with scary accuracy.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen. I use Lapua brass in my .308 for its excellent consistancy. I would prefer to continue using the Lapua in 6.5x55, but I also use Winchester brass in other calibers with good results. I am trying to get close enough to a Featherweight to measure the action and solve once and for all the eternal question of whether or not USRA has used a long or short action on the 6.5 Classic actioned rifles. I have heard both. I've been studying Krieger barrels and McMillan stocks, so I don't know yet what I will end up with. Thanks again.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I don't know for fact, but if I were to put money on it, I would say they have to use the long action. To seat the long 6.5 bullets without infringing on the case capacity, you would have to use the long action. It just won't work with the short action. They're short action is for 308 based rounds; the Swede case is a quarter inch longer. Lou

<9.3x62>
posted
Well, here's some more info to confuse the matter.

I just measured the rim diameter on a bunch of Rem 6.5x55 brass I've got. They averaged 0.474". However, I then measured a whole bunch of other cases which are SUPPOSED to have a 0.473" rim such as the 300 Sav, 308, 7mm-08, 25-06, 270, 280, 30-05, 358, etc. All those averaged about 0.468". Then I tried three different calipers... same. Glean what you will from this.

I will tell you that this Rem 6.5x55 brass does NOT eject properly from a '06 boltface without a tiny bit of machining.

As for long action. I just held a 6.5x55 in a model 70 featherweight a few weeks back. It was a long action. Incidently, the throat was very long. I know a few guys with this rifle in 6.5x55 and a few guys with rugers; none shoot all that well. I have had and heard of decent results with some of the Euro rifles and the 700 classic in this caliber.

If you're up for a barrel job, consider going instead with the wonderful, but forgotten, 6.5x57 Mauser (which, BTW, is distinct from the 6.5-257 Roberts). It is based on the 7x57 case (for which top quality brass is available) with its standard casehead. It fills up the LA a bit better than the 6.5x55, and it is uncommon enough that you can custom throat it to your preferences. Anyway, I have both, but I actually prefer the 6.5x57, it has proven to be capable of very impressive accuracy out of a featherweight barrel.

Krieger makes great barrels I hear, though I've yet to have a pac-nor, douglas, shilen, or even a shaw barrel disappoint me enough to warrant the extra expense of a Krieger or Lilja.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a 6.5 x 55 is not shooting well, and it has a long throat as it is should have, it is because of the bullet being seated to deep instead out barely seated at all. Using Remington Corelokt 140 grain bullets, you will see two cannelures. Use the back one for seating in a 6.5 x 55. The front one is for a 260 or other American calibers in 6.5.

If one has problem with Lapua brass feeding in an American bolt face, why not just use Winchester brass? I have had zero problems with it. I own 6.5 x 55's in Ruger 77 Mk 2, straight factory rifle ( long throat as it should have), a rebarreled Winchester Featherweight with a 27 inch barrel, long throated and 1 in 7.5 twist. Third is a Mauser 96, with a 29 inch barrel, which is a 1920 production Target rifle.

Since Ruger stopped making them, and evidently CZ is holding off importing them, I would grab one while the grabbing is good.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a winchester model 70 classic featherweight and as the others have said it is a long action. I haven't done exhaustive load development for it but accuracy looks to only be in the average department 1.5-2" consistently. I have a friend that thinks his wife is going to use my rifle in Colorado in October, after that its a goner. Can't decide whether I am going to sell it or scrap the barrel and make the action into something else.

The 6.5x55 just looks lost in the Winchester long action. Mine feeds and functions fine with Norma brass, don't know if that helps any or not? Doesn't like Norma oryx bullets though as the flat point gets hung on something as it feeds. I love the action but I don't see it as a good combo, I'm going to stick to my sporterized 96 mauser and live the rest of my life happy as can be!

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5x55 is in a Remington Classic, and I've had no problems with it. I use Lapua bullets and cases.
The cases are a bit different from American brass in case length and in head size. However, once fired
they fit perfectly. I only neck size so possibly that's why they fit so well. I'm quite happy with Lapua
reloading components as well as with the affiliated VihtaVouri powders. Remington would have done well
to make the rifle with a 1 in 8" twist instead of the 1 in 9", but nothing Remington does anymore really
surprises me. Hope you iron out your problems with the rifle. The caliber is indeed a winner. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biathalon:

If you are getting lousy accuracy out of your 6.5 x 55 Winchester, if you are handloading, I can tell you why right away.

YOu have a long throat on the rifle, but are seating your cartridges deeply. If you seat a cartridge to magazine length, your throat in the rifle will take it, and you will also increase your accuracy ( and velocity) quite a bit.

Or it you want to sell it cheap, send me an email. I will take the "piece of junk" off of your hands.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own four 6.5X55 rifles. Two are full military M96 Swedish Mausers, one is a Husky M38 Sporterized Swedish Mauser, and one is a custom on a Turkish 1903 Mauser action. The custom has a military barrel with the step taper turned. All four of course have the deep throats and standard 7.8 to 1 barrel twist. In my two M96's I shoot 140 grain Hornady handloads. Both are more accurate than I can shoot with open sites. In the M38 sporter, I shoot 129 and 140 grain Hornady handloads. This one is scoped and consistantly shoots five shot .850 groups with the 129's and .710 with the 140's. The custom is a little different. I'm really pushing this one. I shoot 120 grain Nosler BT, 129 grain and 140 grain Hornady handloads. With the 140's it shoots .336 inch 5 shot groups. With the lighter two bullets it shoots .489 and .440 inch groups. In all cases, the bullet is seated as far as my magazine will allow. These are wonderful rifles to shoot and the M38 and the Custom are great hunting rifles. My 15 year old has jumped on the M38 so I guess it is his rifle now. I think the fast twist rate really makes the difference in the 6.5X55. I understand the the fast twist should not match up well with the lighter/shorter bullets but it does. I just bought a box of 120 grain Barns XLC bullets to load. I am hoping that the light/long all copper bullet will match up well with the deep throat military barrels and fast twist rate. I love the 6.5X55. It's a fun cartridge to shoot and reload for.

Posts: 30 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the input. Cal, in another thread you mentioned using Redding Bushing dies. Please advise what size bushing you are using for the Lapua brass. Thanks, I use the Redding Comp Bushing dies in three other calibers, and they are excellent dies.

one of us
posted Hide Post
stupidly sold to a friend years ago an m96 sporter. have another one now, finally (no, i didn't hack this one; already well on the way; done professionally on bolt, safety, etc.; would not tackle another complete m96 or m38 any more). absolute favorite chambering. mine shoots beautifully. will get back to handloading this spring.

now for your issue: i'd say go with the cz or build one on a vz24.

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a model 70 6.5x55 that I have shot many different loads through. Ive only shot Norma and Lapua brass with no problems at all. I load long C.O.L. 120s dont reach the lands , 129 hornadys will. My model 70 swede is pretty accurate, shooting Noslers 140gr , .5 " groups at 100 yards.
I use R22 powder.
My scratch built sporter swede, 22" m38 barrel new '43 husky reciever etc, shoots even better than my M70.

Its a fun cartrige to shoot

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried loading it long, loading it short, bullets from 6 different bullets, 120-160 grains, 4 different powders, 3 different types of brass, handful of factory loads, 2" is still about the norm.

I've got other 6.5s that go under a half inch as the norm which are just so much more interesting .

Posts: 192 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello JStordahl,

I use the Redding bushing dies for my 6.5x55, Remington Classic. The bushing is a .287" size. For my
6.5x55 military mausers I use a set of RCBS dies. If you measure your loaded round with your caliphers,
then subtract about .002 from the diameter you'll be okay. It may vary from mine because of the thickness
of your case necks. I use Lapua brass so they are pretty uniform in diameter. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal Sibley, I will eventually get to the 6.5x55, but I ended up picking up another .308 Model 70, so it'll have to wait for a bit. Thanks to all who shared their experiences......I really have to get a 6.5 pretty soon!

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
jstordahl, you can always make that new 308 into a nice 260 Rem.... Dr. Lou