THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    A-Square Rifles - Does anyone know anything about these rifles?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A-Square Rifles - Does anyone know anything about these rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,

Does anyone know anything about these rifles?

I think that I just picked one up (meaning I don't know if it a real A-square or not) that has a McMillian "wildcat" synthetic stock, a stainless fluted barrel, and it's chambered in 338-8mm Rem Mag. It's marked "A Square KY" on the left side of the barrel and has a S/N of 4xxx. The workmanship is super fine. Does this sound like a real A-square? I didn't see the chambering offered in the "Bluebook of Gun Values, etc"

Also, I'm looking at one. Again the workmanship is super fine. It has a 28" tapered Hunter/Target profile barrel. McMillian synthetic stock. It's blued and has an integral muzzle break. It's chambered in 300-338 Win Mag. It's marked the same as the one above except it also says "Ahlman" on the barrel.

I found a site for Ahlman's in MN. They are a gunsmith shop & looks as if they do nice work.

Can anyone help here?

Thanx in advance.

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, most of the A-square rifles were on enfield actions for a start. They did use rem 700's for some of the smaller cartridges and southpaw rifles. All the ones I've seen had the "coilchek" stock design (wood or synthetic), but that could have been changed. seeing as how a-square is starting back up, why not give them a call? I've never heard of any affiliation between other 'smiths and A-square, but anything is possible. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Thanx for the info.

Both are on P14/P17 actions.

The craftsmanship (fit, finish, overall quality) is superb, which leads me to believe that they are real.

I talked to Ahlman and they said that they stopped suppling commercial barrels back in the 1970s. They think that they may have re-chambered the gun at sometime.

Any idea how I can get a hold of the "new" A Square?

Your assistance is truly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out the A-square is back thread on the African Hunting forum. They've been discussing it over there. I tried the web site, and it's still being set up. All the A-square rifles that I've seen were very well put together. Nicely done stuff, I don't know who the gunsmith was (or more accurately, I don't remember)but I think he's the one heading the new company. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<csj>
posted
A-Square rifles are a touchy subject around here. I have found there are only 2 sides to this subject, either you hate the stock or you love the stock. I happen to be on the minority side of this one around here I love the stock and now that they are back in business I am planning on buying a few more rifles. The one rifle I have from them is a 338 Exc. And it is a wonderful shooting rifle.

Chris