Find
Notify
Tools

5mm Rem Mag Conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
I have a 5mm Remington Magnum rimfire that I can no longer find ammo for. A poster on another forum mentioned the rifle could be converted to a centerfire called the 5mm Craig.
Any information on this conversion from members would be appreciated. I liked shooting the rifle and would like to revive it, but unsure if it is worth it after viewing the cost for conversion, dies, brass, and bullets. Comments?

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Never saw a 5 mm, but could one rebarrel it to
17 HMR . . . the new darling rimfire caliber, and hopefully not one of the orphans of the future!

LouisB

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Rebarrel would probably be more expensive. The Craig conversion requires the bolt to be re-worked for center fire. The bullets presently offered are 30 and 38 grains with +2000 fps. So far I've only located one business that does the conversion Certech Int, Inc. www.certech.net and would like to find a dedicated gun shop to compare costs and quality of work.
I won't have much interest in the 17HMR if I can get the 5mm shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Schroder in California also sells a conversion. He sells the best brass also. You need to also talk with the guys at www.sauiber.com ....a group of 5mm shooters are there to answer questions about anything you need to know about the growing interest in the 5mm Centerfire that will out shoot the .17 HMR
Just my 2 cents worth...

Posts: 51 | Location: IL. USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did a search a while back looking for 6 mm PPC brass, typed "reloading components" in the search engine. One of the sites that came up was Quality Cartridge. They were advertising a kit for this conversion along with a headspace guage. They also have center fire brass properly head stamped.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
Nailman, I think your finger slipped. Try searches at saubier.com and rimfirecentral.com. I have the Craig conversion but I have a rimfire bolt still available for my rifle also. The conversions are still cheaper than a whole new rifle. Which conversion you use is a matter of preference usually. Both types have been working well. Don't forget Hornady's 33gr. Vmax for these!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw a Remington rifle in 5 mm mag rimfire with eleven boxes of original ammo on GunsAmerica. I believe the price was $925.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quarter Round,
Old Western Scrounger Ammo lists the 5mm Remington Mag 38gr HP ammo for $19.95 per box of 50 rounds.
Schroeder Bullets,1421 Thermal Ave,San Diego CA 92154, (619)423-3523, has a conversion kit that converts the Remington 591/592's to a centerfire, they also make the brass for this conversion. The last price list I have from them, lists this conversion at $125.00 and if you return the head space go/no-go gauges they will refund $20.00. The reloadable brass is $25.00 for 50 rounds, C-H/4D reloading dies with shell holder $60.00.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<cpt. caveman>
posted
i found anno at http://www.ows-ammunition.com/cgi-bin/catalog25/search it should be shipped to me in march i will let you know how it comes out [Cool]

<cpt. caveman>
posted
ammo [Mad]

<cpt. caveman>
posted
ammo [Mad]

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information guys. I'll probably have the Schroder conversion done this spring. Special thanks to you Nailman for all the info.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarter Round:
Thanks for the information guys. I'll probably have the Schroder conversion done this spring. Special thanks to you Nailman for all the info.

QuickLOAD has data for the 5mm Craig

According to QuickLOAD Norma R123 will give upwards of 2300fps with 38gr Berger .204 bullets.

Basicly one cannot get enough of the R123 in the case to exceed safe pressure levels. (according to QuickLOAD)

BTW I have heard that the Certec brass is CNC turned and tends to be soft, the Schroeder brass is formed from 22 Hornet brass and is supposed to be better.

I too plan to use the Shroeder conversion and keep the RF bolt head for collecters value. (I bought my 5mm RFM new back in the early 70s)

With the scope mounted 2" above the bore (line of sight)the maximum PBR (+ or - 2") is 195Yds @ 2450fps with over 200ft lbs of energy @ 200 yds. (the 17 HMR starts out with 295ft lbs @ the muzzle)

I sure plan to do this ASAP

[ 04-27-2003, 00:02: Message edited by: wildcat junkie ]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Junkie,
I'm still dragging my feet on sending the bolt out for modifications, guess I need to get my butt in gear and get this jewel shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quarter Round:
Junkie,
I'm still dragging my feet on sending the bolt out for modifications, guess I need to get my butt in gear and get this jewel shooting.

Quarter Round:

If you go with the Shroeder conversion, you get to keep your old bolt.

For $125 they send a new bolt head and headspace gauges. If you return the guages within 60 days you get a $20 rebate.

This brings the total for the Shroeder to $105 compared to $79 for the Certec.

The Shroeder sounds like a better bolt anyway as it has a spring retainer for the firing pin, and the pin does not float as the original or I assume the Certec conversion.

I will probably keep the gauges if this thing performs up to Quickload predictions with Norma R123 powder. There are at least 2 M591s in the back room of the local gun store. One of them is missing a clip and could probably be had a little cheaper. I think it would make a nice "tricked out" single shot.

I will be definately be calling Shroeder in the morning when I get home from work.

I want to check out Quality Cartridge as they are supposed to have properly head stamped brass. I would like to get some samples of brass from all three sources.

According to QuickLOAD data, the Berger 36gr bullet will get about the same MV as the 33gr Hornady. Probably because the Hornady is a boattail and therefor it is longer and uses up more of the precious case space. I'll bet the Shroeder 40gr FMJ would be a good (edible) small game bullet.

I will keep you posted, I will be ordering parts and components tomorrow.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
<seven17>
posted
Does Quality have the cartridges already made up or produced as ordered? I remember you need to buy a large quantity I think. Maybe several of us could get together as I would like a few with the headstamps. I use the Certech now. I wonder if the QC's have more capacity than the Certechs? I know that the Schroeders do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seven17:
Does Quality have the cartridges already made up or produced as ordered? I remember you need to buy a large quantity I think. Maybe several of us could get together as I would like a few with the headstamps. I use the Certech now. I wonder if the QC's have more capacity than the Certechs? I know that the Schroeders do.

One has to buy 600 to get the headsamp. If they are Schroeder cases (I think they are)I will go for at least 100, maybe 200 if need be.