New
Find
Notify
Tools

6MM Remington factory loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I usually buy a few boxes for brass and just shooting every year from Academy whan they go on sale. Well for the 5th year in a row this ammo, Remington brand marked 100 grain PSPCL has been loaded with the 80 grain PSP! I noticed this a while back as the 80 is a stubbier looking bullet. Actually I have been using the 80 grtain PSP as a deer bullet for acouple of years now with perfect results but to mark the boxes with a different bullet designation does raise some questions.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that it would be hard to tell which bullets are loaded in factory ammo by apperance alone.

Maybe you should pull one of the bullets and weigh it to see which one it really is. For Remington to make such a mistake over and over seems unlikely.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with R Flowers. Unless you've pulled a bullet and weighed it, you can't know which bullet it is. Factories change the design of the ogive and meplate arbitrarily, and the 100 is typically seated to about the same OAL as the 80 grain.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you could say both thingsd logically but the 80 grain PSP has a different appearance ahd yes I have pulled some of them and weighed them. Actually it is sort of logical as the 80 grain bullet will work fine out of the slower twist 244's out there.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
yes I have pulled some of them and weighed them

Ah-ha! So they are mismarked! Interesting. I have a batch of "100 grain" 6mm Remington ammunition that came with a slow twist .244 I bought recently and they shoot nicely in it. Now, dammit, I'm going to have to run home and pull a bullet to find out what I've actually got!

I've never before heard of ammunition being mismarked in this manner. But then, as all good handloaders know, factory ammunition is the great unspoken scandal of Western Civilization.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a box of PMC .223 ammo and when I loaded up and dropped the hammer--click! No mark on the primer, so I tried another round--same results. THEN, I looked at the headstamp--and it was actually .222 Rem ammo. Needless to say I took it back.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"