New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ550 sticky bolt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I spent the morning getting my sons CZ550 ready for hunting tommorrow. I thought I had this all set up, but my youngest was looking at my my G33/40 and and asked me why his bolt wasn't smooth like my rifle. I really hadn't paid a lot of attention to this before, and must admit I have been on travel after I got the CZ scoped and broke in on the range.

It is rough to say the least, and almost seems to want to momentarily jam if cycled quickly.

I inspected it carefully this morning and noticed the lugs were rough and not smooth, with machining burrs ( not on the actual locking surface but the sides where it rides down the action. Well I got my jewelers file out and cleaned up the bad machine marks, and I could definately see it wasn't wearing uniformlly before I started. I then polished it all up, did a super cleaning and figured that should do it. It didn't, I spent about 40 min. working the bolt; cleaned and polished some more.

That helped it is a lot better than it was but honestly it is still not quite right.

What is the next step? Use diamond dust and work it some more? Is there any tricks from the experts on this action?

Not that it makes any difference ( it didn't have any cartrides in it at any time ) it is a 6.5x55.

I did notice the CZ550 is not exactly a mauser bolt, close but not the same. I should also clarify this is not in any way an extraction type issue, there is no round chambered, and extraction is working fine when there is a cartridge chambered.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the more you work the action the smoother it will get

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have a cz550 varmint that had a sticky spot when the bolt was closed. it tuned out that the ring(collar??) that goes around the bolt and holds the extractor in place was rubbing on the bottom of the action, just behind the mag box, when the bolt was closed. i polished the ring down a little all the way around and it's a lot smoother now. just a guess but worth a look...good luck...bud

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I had to stone the bolt in spots the extractor and the gripping edges on the magazine.Worked the action as I did this and after about 1/2hr. it got pretty smooth. I own only one CZ and although it is not as smooth as my G33/40s I sure like to shoot it as well. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote