THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    What? No stainless synthetic Sako 223!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What? No stainless synthetic Sako 223!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking at buying a 223 or 222 in stainless synthetic. I would really like a Sako 75 but was a little shocked to see there is no 223 in this configuration. The closest is stainless varmint with laminated stock and heavy barrel. Or stainless/walnut that I could change to a synthetic stock (epen$ive option). I am leaning towards the varmint. What do you guys think of this rifle?

What other rifles would you recommend? Must be stainless/synthetic and in 223 or 222 (or 22ppc). How about remington vssf, steyr scout or prohunter, weatherby, others? How do these compare to the 75?

BTW, do you think a heavy barrel is worthwile in a 223?

Posts: 37 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
The Sako varmint is a good choice! one of the best i have seen!!
About the others you mentioned the Remington and steyr rifles are probably good rifles but i have heard about accuracy problems with the weatherbys!

Quote:

BTW, do you think a heavy barrel is worthwile in a 223?

If you are varmiting or target shooting it is!
What are you going to hunt with the rifle?

Regards Ben
Iceland

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GBF
posted Hide Post
The Sako 75 in a Varmint Laminated Stainless configuration would likely serve you well. The heavy barrel issue is perhaps a question of preferance but I would say yes it is worthwhile.

Another thing popped up, the CZ-527 Varmint Kevlar, although not available in a stainless configuration does not look entirely bad at all.

Regarding the Steyr, they do have a good reputation for accuracy and workmanship.

Regards

Posts: 392 | Location: Insula Thule | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IEATROOS...

While I can't really compare the Sako with the Remingtons, I can confirm that the Remington 700 VSSF is a great rifle. I have it in .223, and am very pleased...I did swap out the stock trigger for a Jewell, and the Sako may come with a better trigger pull out of the box. The stock Remington is adjustable, so you can play with it to make it better.

You seem to be settling for a varmint type configuration, which makes me think you were hoping for a sporter type rifle? If so, a good compromise might be the Remington 700 LVSF in .223 (it also comes in .221 Fireball, which is what I got), which is lighter and shorter than the VSSF, and is generally in between an all-out heavy varmint/target configuration and a lightweight sporter...the LVSF is definitely a better option than the VSSF if you plan to carry it alot...

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote