THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Long Range Rig! How is my set up?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rig! How is my set up?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It is done!

I’m not sure if I’ll stick with the scope I’ve got mounted on it right now but I’m happy to have it all back together. I just got the barreled action back from getting the Teflon finish and caliber engraved in the barrel. It has been done for a couple of months now but today was the first day I could get away and go pick it up from my smith.

Thanks again to Karnis who donated such a great stock to my cause.

Build as follows:

Caliber .25-06 Remington
Action Zastava 98 Mauser with set triggers
Barrel 26” Lilja #5 contour recessed target crown
Stock refinished Whitworth with Kick-Eez pad and metal grip cap
Scope Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16X40AO

Just need to get back to the range.

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt, this rifle is drop-dead beautiful! You will love the scope, I changed out my NF/Xt for this scope (to put it on another rifle) and it performs way above average clean optics and returns to zero very well. I know absolutely nothing about the finish but if it holds up as good as it looks ya got a winner. Lets us know how it groups way out yonder!

Very nice indeed! tu2

Posts: 542 | Location: So. Cal | Registered: 31 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eeker

That's a mighty fine rig you have. Use the scope some. I bet you like it once you get used to it. Those Bushnell Elite 4200 are very good scopes and offer a lot of bang for the bucks spent.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
shouldn't the engraving said 25-06 Rem?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That can't be a Real long range gun. Its need to be a 7STW-300 Rem Ultra Mag-30/378 Weatherby. A deer would know the difference at 400yds Ha Ha. Great looking gun.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taylorce, That a very nice looking rig. I would expect it to be a real shooter for you.

Who was the smith?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkA thing of beauty and I hope a joy for ever. Just what a good ole boy from Colorado should have. in passing; are those mounts low enough? claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
WinkA thing of beauty and I hope a joy for ever. Just what a good ole boy from Colorado should have. in passing; are those mounts low enough? claproger beer

I like the gun but like Bartsche says the scope might be a bit high for that stock.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12707 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I think it looks good, and a set of lower rings will help it look great!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:

Rings are a little tall, but I had to put something on it for the pictures! The original scope it wore was a VXII 4-12X40, but while it was in the shop I put it on my 6x47 that I'm going to use on pronhorn this fall. I like the VXII a little better than this scope so 'm going to have to see if I have any money left over after my wedding to buy another one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antelope Sniper:
Taylorce, That a very nice looking rig. I would expect it to be a real shooter for you.

Who was the smith?

I used Rich Riley of High Tech Custom Rifles to barrel and blue print the action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Got the scope mounted lower today but now my scope is only a 4-14 power. If I crank it to 16X I can't operate the bolt. Medium rings put it about the same height it was before. So I decided that I didn't need 16X power anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
carpetman1
one of us

Posted 31 July 2010 03:07 Hide Post

if one does not know the 25-06 is remington. he does not know much about guns. does anyone else make a 25-06.

that is a very nice rig taylorce1. please post photos of you group..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
that is a very nice rig taylorce1. please post photos of you group..

Well I got out yesterday and was able to put 10 rounds down the barrel. It took 4 rounds to get it on paper. Even with that magnum countour barrel my .25-06 barrel heats up a little fast. I shot these two groups hung over from my bachelor party, I think if I was feeling a little better I could have done this rifle justice. These are Federal factory loads 120 grain Fusion bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats pretty good, first time out, I assume you reload? try 51 grs. of IMR 4831 with 117 sierra BTSP. In a factory barrel it is about .75 to 1.00 group

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vines--Very true most folks know Rem adopted the 25-06. It was around as a wildcat a long time before they did so it is possible some variations out there. Lots of much older rounds--30-30 Win, .270 Win and .243 win still get marked as such 30-06 sprfld when you buy a factory rifle it will have the 25-06 Rem marking. Will there be a 25-06 something else in the future? To be honest I thought the Rem was required but that may be applicable to factory made? Maybe someone that knows can answer?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice rifle! Glad to see you've got the scope where it belongs. I'll bet the groups will tighten up because of it. Good Shootin'
Try some 100 gr. Sierra spitzers in it. I have two .257 Ackley's and both rifles shoot them well, accurate, and deadly on game.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Darn nice looking rifle. I might be a bit biased though as I just picked up a Mark-X in 25-06.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Darn nice looking rifle. I might be a bit biased though as I just picked up a Mark-X in 25-06.

Pretty much the same rifle! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well one week to go and I’ll be a married man. Anyway had to go blow off some steam so I went to the range yesterday. I wanted to shoot my .25-06 and run it through the paces a bit, I took as well my .300 Savage M93, 6X47 Stevens 200, and .223 Rem Stevens 200. I was going to shoot my .300 and .25-06 for load development and have my other two Stevens to shoot between groups.

I used the Lyman book for the 110 grain Nosler Accubond data, and the Sierra for the 117 grain Sierra PH and 120 grain GK. The Lyman book had nearly 7 grain spread on H4831 so I went up in one grain increments until I reached a max load of 54 grains. The Sierra book showed identical loads with both bullets but showed an 8 grain spread maxing out at 50.5 grains, and I used a two grain increment on both loads with RL 22. I figured I’d find a couple of loads that showed promise and then I’d fine tune the load from there, shooting 5 shot groups the next range session.

I was able to find two loads with the Nosler Accubond that showed promise:

Plus two more with the 117 grain Sierra Pro Hunter:

The 120 grain Sierra Game King just didn’t come through with RL 22. Never had a group go under 1” nor did they go over 1.5”. Any other rifle and I might have been happy with those groups, but not with this one. I’ll try a new powder next time thinking RL 19, IMR 7828, and H4831 might be good choices next time for the 120 grain bullets.

More range reports to come in the coming weeks!

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very nice indeed! You have a shooter.... tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:
quote:

I would just like to see what a real shooter could do with this rifle. I feel I'm mediocre at best most days. This was just a good one.

One of Us
Picture of WhatThe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
quote:
Originally posted by WhatThe:
quote:

I would just like to see what a real shooter could do with this rifle. I feel I'm mediocre at best most days. This was just a good one.

With that type of shooting, you won't have to worry about your freezer being empty! I'm sure the accuracy of this rifle will give you the confidence to take on game further down range. Practice keeps meat in the freezzzze..Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:

Unless its a 25-06 Win...