THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    powder choices for 22k hornet

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder choices for 22k hornet
 Login/Join

<Craig V>
posted
Has anyone any experience with Vihtavuori N120 in the k hornet. In New zealand readily available powders are Vihtavuori, Hodgon, Mulwex (some of this is marketed as Hodgon in the USA), Winchester. I would prefer to use Vihtavuori or Mulwex as due to our very weak dollar American powders are 40-70% more expensive here versus Finnish and Australian powders. I have used WW296 in the past but I would prefer something cleaner burning.
NB Rifle is a Ruger VHZ with a custom ground reamer (specifically for Remington brass & 40gn V-max's)

<Yote Hunter>
posted
Craig

I have read that Hodgen LIL Gun is avery good powder for the KHornet & Hornet . I have some just getting ready to try it . Hodgen has it on there Webb sight . I have always used 2400 powder for years .

<Ben H>
posted
Hodgdon 'Lil Gun is definately worth a try. It generates low pressure and usually very fine accuracy in my Ruger K-Hornet w/V-Max's.

Good Luck,
Ben H

<dmallard>
posted
Lil gun is nothing short of amazing in my KHornet and 218 Bee. As accurate as any other powder I tried and nothing comes close velocity-wise.

Dmallards

<Craig V>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by dmallard:
Lil gun is nothing short of amazing in my KHornet and 218 Bee. As accurate as any other powder I tried and nothing comes close velocity-wise.

Dmallards

What about the extreme spread of Lil-gun. Also Hodgon powders are $70+ per pound versus vihtavuori at $35-48 per pound here in New Zealand.

<Craig V>
posted
IN new zealand we are paying $35-45+ per pound for Vihtauori versus $70+ per pound for Hodgon. Also what about the extreme spreads of 2-300 fps I am hearing about.
I currently use 12.5gn's WW296 behind a Win 40gn magnum projectile for 3012fps in a ZKW465 Brno K hornet but I would prefer a cleaner burning powder.

<George Capriola>
posted
Lil'Gun has been far and away the most accurate load for my .22 Hornet. I've tried H4227, H110, IMR4227, W296, and AA1680.
As for the extreme sperad, I doubt whatever you're shooting will notice!
Good Shooting,
George.

[This message has been edited by George Capriola (edited 03-07-2002).]

<bearmanmt>
posted
Craig,
I have a .22K Hornet on a ZKW-465 Brno action. This chamber has a longer throat and I have been having great luck with AA1680.
My pet load is 15.0 grains of AA1680(this nearly fills the case) and a 50gr Blitz, TNT or SX.
I am getting 2970-3000fps, with no pressure signs. In fact, I am using Remington 1 1/2 small pistol primers. These are a little cooler than most primers and I am getting much more uniform velocities. I do not get pierced primers or leaking primers.
AA1680 is extremely clean buring in my rifle. I have fired 60-70 round strings while shooting ground squirrels here in MT and the gun still keeps shooting well. Normal cleaning procedures clean it right up.
Remember, the above load was completely safe in my rifle. If you want to try this load, please start at least 2 grains below this and work up.
Good shooting.
The Bearman

<jacon>
posted
Isn't Lil Gun powder for shotguns? I was going to buy a can, but noticed it said for shotguns so thought I better verify!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was developed for loading the .410 shotgun. Hence the name LiL-Gun. It's used in some pistol loads as well as Hornet and Bee applications.

------------------

Posts: 132 | Location: Dufur, Oregon | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
<dave3220>
posted
I haven't had any experience yet with LIL' GUN (plan to try it tho.)I've heard LIL' GUN fouls kind of like VARGET compared to 4895, but don't know from pesronal experience yet.

AA 1680 has worked real well for me in several "K"Hornets. regularly sub-moa
Have killed a few digger squirrels with my load of "hornet" 45 gr. bullet, small pistol primer, 13.2 to 13.8 gr. of AA1680.
The LEE collet-neck sizer is a big plus for case longevity, and the "K" chamber helps this as well as being just a hair more accurate(?), I think.

Dave .32-20

------------------
Dave