New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking for some 6.5 dies at Midway the other day and I saw a set of 6.5-308. Stuck me as odd. Wouldn't this be the same as the 260 Rem. If not, what is the 6.5-308?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is the same (SHOULD be, at least). But it's probably a hold-over of inventory from the days before the .260 was legitimized as a factory offering.

I paid a premium for mine; 2 years later, out came the .260. Roll Eyes

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9410 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
WinkIt happens as Bobby says. My,if you will, 22-250 dies are marked 22-Varminter (63). That's when it was a wildcat. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
My 6.5/308 was being built when I got wind of Remington coming out with the 260, 6 months later. Got a saami spec sheet from Lonoke AR ammo plant, and it is VERY near identical as I compared it to the reamer spec sheet from Pac-Nor that Chris sent me.

I interchanged using my custom dies with 260 brass/loads and using them later in Rem 260 produced rifles with no problems.

I would not pay a premium, but esp. if you are partial sizing, I cannot see any problems and it is rumored sometimes less common calibers have better QC in die production, so for what it is worth, that is my knowledge.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote