Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 Rem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted
i just bought a new Ruger M77 target grey model in 22-250 Rem. I ran some cheap winchester 45 gr JHPs through it and got very good groups. when i shot some Winchester 55gr Ballistic Silvertips and Hornady 55gr VMAX molys in it, my results were not so pleasing. The gun has a 14" twist. Any thoughts on whats going on, could the moly be the problem?

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert, but your twist may be a little slow for the heavier bullets. Mine is a 12" twist, but I only shoot 50 grainers. I'm sure some more experienced shooters will have more to add.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a Winchester Heavy Varminter in 22-250 it has a 1 in 14 twist. Shoot both 50 and 55's no problem. It may be an over all lenght thing. Compare the for OAL. Your rifle may just like a little jump before the bullet hits the lans.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one also....Funny but the ones I have seen seem to like the " run of the mill" bullets better and seem to throw loads with premium bullets all over the place....seems to be a Ruger trade mark.. their barrels in 22.250 on that, seem to also run from A to Z in quality or lack thereof...

I usually hate H 4895... but for economy shooting... 32.5 grains of it, and about any 55 grain "El Cheapo" bullet, it shoots fantastically, even the 55 grain bulk FMJ bullets....So I just "live with it" in that configuration....

I'd also wonder if the powders in the Ballistic Tips and the V Maxes might have something to do with it....

If you are strictly handloading, I'd play around with some loads and powders...

My Ruger does show a liking for Reloader 7, Reloader 10, Reloader 15, W 748, IMR 4895 and IMR 4064, IMR 3031 and IMR 4198... it doesn't like H 380 for some reason.. along with most of Hodgdon's powders....in the mid burn range...except Benchmark and Varget....

It is finicky, but when it finds something it likes, it gives excellent results....sounds like a woman doesn't it???? Big Grin

good luck with it!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesWith WCC846 and Accurate data 86 pushing 50 gr. TNTs and others. a new .22-250 Ruger Varmint is sub moa.Other powders do well in it but these two have given sterling performance. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Parkin
posted Hide Post
My sako 22-250 has a 14 inch twist and hates 55 grainers even though it should like em. Stays within half an inch with 50's so i just stick with them.

You need to clean all the copper out of your barrel before running moly and you must lay some moly(15/20 rounds) down the barrel before the accuracy comes. I swear by MOLY. just use it right.

Posts: 63 | Location: Yorkshire, England | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a 700VS witha 1 in 14" twist and it shoots 1/2" or less with the plain jane 55gr Pointed Soft Point in the Express loading. The same basic load of the Winchester persuasion just will do and 1 1/2". Just picked up a set of neck dies and a box of 55gr Sierra Gameking Boat tails that I hope to turn into my new "all around" load.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Model7-for what it is worth your gun should shoot most weights between 40-63 just fine.
A 1-14 pretty much always works well with this range.

I believe I know the 45 grain ammos you're referring to. It is the white box , 40 round of 45's in it and it is called some like Winchester USA.

I worked in retail for 3 years lately and you would not believe the amount of positive response we got on that ammo!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
yea thats them

one of us
posted Hide Post
That "white box" ammo is a hard number to beat with either the 22-250 or the .223!! 40 rounds for 14.00-17.00!! You've got your brass from YOUR RIFLE to dink with if you want too!! MOLY????? BS!!! Shoot a normal bullet in the barrel and go on about your business!!! Most of the folks here don't have the tools or chemicals or wherewithall to clean a moly fouled barrel!!! And a shitload of varmints, and great deal of little bitty paper groups have been shot with PLAIN JANE bullets!!! ....no fancy smancy coatings on them at all!! Just good machinist work and good rifles!!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
You should use a powder that gives 100% combustion and 100% load density. The only two on the market that do this with 55 grain bullets are AA 4064 and VV N-150.

36-37 grains of either behind the Nosler Ballistic Tip primered by CCI or Fed primers will shoot into one hole at 100 yards (2.5" OAL). My Savage and Kimber rifles both shoot the same groups.

one of us
posted Hide Post
With my 22-250 I shoot the 55gr HP bullets and the 70 gr bullets and use IMR 4064 powder. It gives me tight groups

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its my understanding that you are gonna shoot moly or you're not. You can't mix.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am from the camp of been there done that bought the T-shirt on Moly.

I personally can see no none zero notta reason to go there with moly.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Savage 22-250 loves 52gr hp's

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm having the same problem chasing groups, I still haven't better than 1" groups. I have a Savage, and have been playing with seating depth and neck tension. No luck yet but it's fun to to keep trying

Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Posts: 28 | Location: lenoir,nc | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flat based, less streamlined bullets are less influenced by things such as seating depth and if the crown is less than perfect. The longer and more streamlined a bullet is the more important that the crown is correct. Just a little "touch up" of the crown might give you the groups you are looking for.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
what is a suggested OAL for this gun. Mine appears to have a fair amount of room in the magazine to play with.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
My Savage 22-250 loves 52gr hp's

Mine will shoot Win 64 grainers into less than half an inch off the bench as long as I care to sit there....it has a 12 twist.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After fighting with H380 and 55 grain ballistic tips for almost a year, I tried H 414 and got the results I was looking for. IMR 4895, 4064, and N-150 were good choices too.
H 380 was a great powder in my old Ruger, but with a barrel 2" longer, it refused to work in the Remington.