Find
Notify
Tools

Will it stabilize?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted
I was wondering if anyone had any luck with a .224 60gr bullet stabilizing in a 1-14 twist, 26inch barrel?

I loaded some up to test this weakened, and started with a pretty heavy charge to see if they would work.

Anyone care to guess if they will keyhole or not?

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it really depends on how fast you can push it. My .222 won't stabilize anything heavier than 50 grains, but most .22/250's have no problem with bullets up to 60 grains.

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on which kind of 60 grainer it is....

a 60 grain Hornady HP should, as a 60 grain Sierra should...

a 60 grain V Max won't, as a 60 grain Sierra HP won't...

I am gathering that the second two listed above being just a hair longer than the other is the problem....the other two just being on the cusp of what will stabilize and what won't....

If you are looking for a heavier bullet in using the 60 grainers, try the 63 grain Sierra SMP... that one WILL stabilize as well as the 64 grain Winchester SP.....

the 63 grain SMP, was developed for one in 14 twists...

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waffen-for what it is worth I've had excellent luck using the 60's in the 14 twist.

Bullets that have shot well for me are:

60 Horn (sp and Hp--have not tried the v-max but can't imagine it would not work)

60 Noz Pt

60 NSB

63 Sierra has always given me super accuracy!

Good luck

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually none of the 60 grainers I tried keyholed in my .222. The groups just enlarged to the 4 inch range as opposed to the normal 1/2 inch that it shoots with the 50 grainers. Maybe I just had one that didn't like any of the heavy bullets I tried??? What cartridge is your gun chambered for?

We didn't inherit the land from our fathers, we're borrowing it from our children.

Posts: 94 | Location: central pennsylvania | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug, he's got a CZ Varmint in 22-250 (we both do).

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 different rifles in .224. All of them have a 1 in 14" twist and none of them really do well with 60gr. bulets. They may not necessarily keyhole, but the groups will be much larger than with my usual 52gr. HPs. Yours may be different, but I strongly doubt it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am working with a Steyr 5.6x57mm right now (.224 x57?). I think the barrel is a 1 in 14, but it may be slower since the cartridge is made for heavy .224 bullets. So far it likes 74 grain RWS bullets best, then the new 64 grain from Winchester and the 70 grain Hornaday. Still experimenting with 60 grain Noslers for that bullet weight. The gun does not like 50-55 grain bullets at all.
LLS
Mannlicher Collector

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
When you rebarrel, go to a 1:7 twist, that will stabilize any .224 bullet that you can buy. Smiler

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote