Find
Notify
Tools

Remington model 7 CDL
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
I was at Bass Pro and took a look at the new CDL in a 204, nice wood, and I was really surprised at the quality from what I could tell as compared to many Rem's I seen in the past with shoddy work.

I thought a 260 would be nice, their is a 350 Rem Mag with Magnum countour and sights, not sure if it has a rib, it is not said to have it like the 673.....I don't care for them.

Now if the 7 CDL came in 338 Federal or 358W in a sporter dimension or magnum contour barrel, in 20" length......I would be very tempted.

The stock is a tad shorter I believe which would fit me great especially with hunting clothes......wood has nice figure and color and the sharp checkered stock with cheekpiece feels right.

Anyone using the new CDL? I just have a beef with the 7's LACKING beef in the barrels. It would not add much weight to have a stiffer tube that would heat up slower.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
OH, and NO key lock which I refuse to have on a firearm. Remington was wise to stop mfg. them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sort of like the little model 7 CDL too. I even agree with your cartridges A .260 on the small sice and either a .358 or a .338 on the big side would be good.
personaly I would want t 22" tube on the .260 .
I would rather have a similar rifle on the short action model 70, just don't like a push feed real well, but I could live with it in a pinch.
But .358 winchester in the model 7 would sure be a great tree stand bear rifle...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your interest in Remington! At this time we are unable to provide
information regarding 2007 new products or future development due to competitive
reasons. Normally this type of proprietary information is kept secret until the
product line is approved for the upcoming year. We usually announce new product
information in middle to late December after our annual sales meeting.

Above is my response from Remington re: the possibility of a 338F and/or 358W chambering. Similar what I got 6 months prior to the 260 release, Pac-Nor was building my 6.5/308 and Rem would 'neither confirm nor deny' the round being introduced, so I called the ammo plant and even got a print of the spec....Saami for the 260, near identical to the 6.5/308 which answered my question, as yes I was going to be able to chamber/safely fire in my chamber a factory 260 round.

Agreed. Having a 23" 6.5/308 built before Rem released the 260, a short tube does not max the powder burn in this round as it is not as high an expansion ratio as say the 338 or 35 bore. None the less, if the barrel were longer, I would really want more beef in it. I think personally, all the 'lightweights' should have std wt. tubes and sporters should be a tad heavier, just my .02 I could 'live' with a 20" 260, but the blast and speed would be more likable in a 22-23" or better bbl.

I can tell you, my sporterized Swede with 21" was slower than desired but the original 29" SMOKED the 120's, smaller bore = more bbl needed to burn powder and reach potential hence why 338 and 35 bores and up do well in carbine length guns. Expansion ratio matters.

My ideal hunting rifles might be: A Winch. 70 pre-64 claw short action, 338F/358W in a 20" mannlicher i.e. the custom shop (albeit $2500 + asking price-----I could build one for half at least) and a 260 would not be a bad 'up to deer' or so rifle.....Kick myself for the Forester Sako L579 243 sold, just after having thoughts of using it to build a 6.5/308, or possibly 338/308.

A friend has several Sako, 90's production pre 75 action rifles, chrome plated actions.....synthetic wood grain stocks-NICE.

A SS Win 70 or Sako chromed action, nice wood grain but synthetic stock, with Top notch barrel in 260 22", with a twin but even down to 20" in 338F or 358W chamber would keep me satisfied.

I will have to settle for my Ruger 350 RM until someone takes it off my hands.....then I will size down a tad to a non magnum. Perhaps I will take this one out west on an elk/deer hunt this year. It should nearly duplicate my old 338/06 using 225 Sierra's.

one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Mine is in 260 Rem and I love it. Well, eccept for the horrible way they attach the recoil pad!

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Yours is a CDL? I had a couple of older M-7's both 260, a stainless 20" syn. and a deluxe wood 18.5" blue, neither shot as I wanted as far as accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had I think 3 model 7s.
The ones I had were either 308s or 7mm08s.
I did take one mule deer buck with one.
I also had a 7mm08 in a micro hunter browning. All were decent shooters but none were outstanding.
I curantly have a great lille ruger MK 2 RL.
Thats ruger Model 7 style.
If you go back a few pages and find my post meet little robbie, you will find a pictue.
Little robbie is a .257 Roberts.
Its on a long action but the little pee shooter performs really well, with its favorite load.
Its a 100 grain barnes tripple shock over 46 grains of H-414, and the 20 inch tube is lighter than the model 7.
It pushes that round at about 3140 and will give MOA give or take a Quarter inch at 100.
Really could not ask for more from a 20 inch flyweight rifle.
My smith built a 7mm08 on a short action sako, it sits in a display case with a real nice schnauble style piece of hand checkerd walnut. I would love it !
But I think I might prefer a .260.
fact is I am really sold on the Roberts for deer. I have also a custom springfield, and my smith has another he built on an FN.
I might well end up with that one, and have it AI,ed...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I had/sold a Micro Medallion in 708 that shot about as well as my heavy barreled 700, amazing how well. But, the stock was too pretty and shiney to scratch and dent up, so it left, the bullets touched the lands and I could not lift the bolt on a chambered round, the 60 degree lift would not leverage it enough, that turned me off quick. Loads seated down more would have been ok I imagine.

Years ago many people raved about the Roberts, and I knew someone who had an AI that was darned hot/fast. I think the 6.5x55 falls about right in between the 257 and 7x57, well realistically in the middle of a 6mm Rem (7x57 necked down) and a 7x57 (less 2mm of neck) and I know the case head is different.

Love my 708's but looking serious again at the 260's, I think a 22-24" tube works better on the smaller bore, perhaps why many like the 308 in the short bbl-better expansion ratio. The roberts seems to be a well balanced round, perhaps the 250 AI performance w/o forming brass?

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking of getting a 7 CDL in 243 for my daughter's first deer rifle. I handled one at Cabela's yesterday. I liked the fit and finish. Anyone have one, and how does it shoot?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I may swing for a Kimber, but they are more $$$$ and may not shoot any better. The beef I have with Rem and Kimber, they use a 9 twist in the 260. Not what I want, and neither care to listen and change to what shooters need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They also make it in a 300 WSM and that is one nice rifle IMO.

I've hoisted the 22/250 the local shop has more than once and can like it as well.

One in a 223 and then AI it would also fit my fancy.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a Kimber 'mini' action for small cases like 222 size. I don't have a need for a 300 WSM for my hunting, and would not want to fire it, hate recoil, a 338 Federal or 358 would be VERY tempting.