Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 swede loads
 Login/Join

posted
waveI've just taken a small doe here in Bama with my 6.5 swede using 120 gr. BT's in front of 37.0 gr. of 4064. Seems to work ok and is very accurate in my rifle. Seems to open pretty fast on game so it seems important to miss any bone if possible. Anyone care to share their findings and what works for them in this caliber. I have some big bores but this one is light, handy, and is a real sweet heart to shoot. Shots can be long here but generally aren't very. Thanks for your thoughts!

Posts: 19 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken many deer with the old factory or equivalent - 140 at 2750.I wouldn't use a bullet that I had to avoid hitting bone !!.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 6.5x55s. Both of them shoot very well with 140gr Partitions/ R-22 or DP 86. 2700-2750fps results in your standard "Bang-Flop" on MN Whitetails.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
welcome to the forum...

your load of 37 grains of 4064 can be increased up to 42 grains with no pressure problems in case you want to...

even tho the ballistic tip opens quickly, you still shouldn't worry about hitting bone with it, the shank is thick enough in my experience to punch on thru...

or you could opt for the 125 partition if you are that concerned...or the 120 grain TSX...

me and the 120 grain ballistic tip get along just fine tho...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I have used Nos. Partitions for many years out West in Nevada with larger cartridges but this was my first BT on anything. I'm getting outstanding accuracy at this level but would like to boost to 2700-2750 range. You didn't say what powders you like and get the best accuracy with. Many of the manuals I believe are intentionally low because there maybe some older, weaker rifles still in use. What do you think about the Remington 120 gr. as my rifle, Mod. 70 Featherweight, likes it as well? One last question? Do you prefer 140's over the 120's? Be interested to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your patience.

Posts: 19 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
You might also want to try 130gr Nosler Accubonds. This will give you the plastic tip like a BT, but with a bullet that will hold together better. I used these this year for whitetail and elk. I got outstanding results in both accuracy as well as terminal performance. One shot kills with perfect exit wounds on both. The load my sporterized Swede likes is 45 gr of RL-22.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, sounds like a good idea. What kind of velocity are you getting with the RL-22?

One of Us
Picture of Cornfield SWO
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't know what velocities this particular load is getting. My chrono's battery died the day I was testing these loads. I was getting half inch groups with the bullet I wanted to use so I just finished the range day by sighting in and then loaded up some more of this recipe for hunting. I haven't been back out to the range with this rifle since then. I will probably work on loads for this rifle more in the spring and see what I'm getting then.

Soli Deo Gloria

Posts: 178 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 10 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 120 BT in Wyoming on Antelope a yea ago with good results. Load was 50 gr. of RL22 for right at 3,000 fps. I am shooting the 129 Hornady now using one grain less powder. Shot a couple of does with it, and have no complaints about how it performs. The Accubond would be great, but seems a bit pricey. if the Remington bullets shoot well in your rifle, I would have no qualms about using them. Used the 120 Corelokt in my .25-06 for years, and it worked every time.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Is your 6.5 a Mauser or a Modern Action?

What is your barrel length?

What kind of velocity do your want with what bullet weight?

Using some older manual info, and depending on your action's age and its magazine and throat length on your chamber, I can let you know data to try ( while working up to it)...

120s or 140s work just fine, as does the 129s, the newer 130s and even some of the 100 grainers...

And as to what powder is the most accurate... It is hard to find a powder that gives really poor performance in the 6.5 x 55...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My 6.5 swede is in a Win. Featherweight with 22" barrel. I'm not sure what the twist is. I'll have to look that up. This is the result of a plan to get away from a hard kicking rifle. I was shooting 338's Win. and 300 Weatherby's which are great if your going after big stuff but they gave me a headache rather quickly. I was shooting at the range and after 9 shots would give me a pounding heatache. So, the 6.5 is my attempt to come up with a "perfect" whitetail rifle. Light, balances great, very easy on the shoulder and plenty flat for 250 to 300 yards. And no headaches after many rounds down range. I have my 300's for the long shots across bean fields etc. and of course I still have my '06 which is my first love. I have a 280 which is almost as sweet but let's face it. I just wanted a different caliber and it was a good excuse to buy one. I'm getting some good feedback and I thank you all.

posted Hide Post
Oh, forgot. I wanted in the 2700's range for velocity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree with Seafire's post the 6.5X55 is fun to work with, I have used Hornady, noslers in 100gr. to hornady and Speer in 140gr. a hole host of different powders, and most all work well. I think my Ruger 77 MKII in 6.5X55 likes the 125, nosler and the 129 hornady the best. Keep working with yours it will let you know what it likes.

6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a new T3 SS/syn Tikka 6.5 Swede scheduled to be here this week...I also have a 260 & 260 AI..but they are heavy barreled LR varminters...so I'm anxious to get the lite T3 and do some loading...I have 100-120-125 Nolsers..129 SSTs..140 Rem CLs...nearly all the suitable powders..RE15..RE19..RE22...4831..4350..414..BLC..Varget...what else ?? Rem & Win brass...Lee three pc die set..along with a Forster BR seater..

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with 120 NBTs over RL 19 for about 3000 fps out of my Sako with 23" bbl. I use it primarily on blacktail and antelope, with a few coyotes thrown in. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DrWatson69
posted Hide Post
The 6.5mm bullets have a high sectional density due to being long and skinny. This means they will hold up alot better than you think. I have a m700 in 6.5*55 that I have shot and my son shoots. I have killed deer with 120gr ball. tips, 125 gr partitons , and 140gr core-loks. On ever deer shot there was an exit wound. I killed a 180lb. ten point in 2005 with the 125gr partition. The deer was 180-200yds. I hit him in the spine and knocked him down. then had to get down and run out to him to finish him off. the 125 partiton went clean through the spine. So what I am trying to say Is don't sell the 6.5 short. those long skinny bullets will get the job done on deer no problem. With a modern gun you should be able to work your way up and over book max. for loads. the 125 load I use is over max and shows no pressure signs.

rem. or winch. brass
125gr partition
fed 210
IMR 4831 at 48.5gr
c.o.l 2.985
vel. w/ 22in barrel 2850avg fps at 10 ft in front of muzzle.

try it but work up to it to be on the safe side as each gun is different.

Posts: 66 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Don't sell the 120 grain BT short. I've used them quite a bit and can tell you to expect an exit on virtually any deer given broadside presentation. And yes, I've put them through shoulders with no problem.

The key is not pushing them too fast. 27-2800 fps in a 6.5x55 will give you an amply-flat trajectory for anything nside of 300 yards.

Also, don't worry about the moderate velocities at reasonable hunting ranges. I used the 125 grain Partition with a MV of 2703 to take a nice buck at 220 yards 2 weeks ago in a 6.5x30-30 AI, aka 6.5 Bullberry IMP, with a 26" MGM Contender barrel. (And, that bullet needs more impact velocity at the low end of the spectrum than the BT does for optimal terminal performance.)

Bullet performance was textbook, with the lungs destroyed and the major plumbing around the heat wrecked. The bullet left a moderately-sized exit. And, the buck simply folded on the spot.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9339 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all these posts are the kind of information I was looking for. I love the polymer tip on the Nosler BT and current crop of new bullets available now as it protects the points in the magazine and aid's the feeding process. My one shot which isn't enough to say much about the NOS BT but it did impress me with how fast the animal dropped. Reminds me of how deer go down with Nosler Partitions. It's great to know that it wasn't a fluke, more like the norm from what you guys are saying and that's good. It's very gratifying to find the animal there or very close to where it was shot.

I'm using IMR 4064 at 37.0 gr. and intend to bump that up to maybe 39 or 40 grains. I also use 4350 (H and IMR), IMR 4831, and RE 22 that has been named. My books are showing maximum velocities with RE 19 but I haven't used this powder. Since I want to keep the velocities in the 2700's to low 2800's, I think I can use the powders I have on hand. I try to explain to my little woman why I need a shelf full of different powder, but I'm not sure she is buying that story. So, sometimes we make do with what's on hand just to keep the peace, and that also is good!

I took a spike yesterday with a 150 gr. Barnes TSX out of my 300 Rem. SAUM. So, I still like the bigger stuff just fine. It's also very pleasant and accurate to shoot but the spike ran 30 or 40 feet before dropping which is acceptable. But I'd rather have them drop on the spot. But, this 6.5 Swede is without a doubt the most comfortable and handy rifle I have ever shot and a true joy to take deer with. Too bad I didn't get started with this caliber years ago. You could sure teach a young shooter some very good habits/techics with a rifle as comfortable as this cartridge allows.

Well, I was a bit windy but I'm finished now. Thanks to all for the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a factory Rem 700 classic with 22" barrel in the Swede. I shoot 125 grain Nosler Partitions in Win brass with Fed 210 primers. OAL is 3.14" and I use 45.0 grains of IMR 4350 for 0.75" five shot groups at 100 yards with chronographed velocity of 2880-2893 fps for the last five shot group. 120 grain ballistic tips are not quite as accurate but go almost 3000 fps with near max Nosler manual loads with same powder.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote