Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 20 250-3000
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a lace-on leather comb riser?

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
How about a lace-on leather comb riser?

Absolutely needs something! That stock heel is about 3/4" too low for me.
Restocking will cure that issue.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great little. rifle. Keep it and use it as is. Very nice find.

Posts: 34 | Location: Volant PA | Registered: 01 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Lyman 54 is indeed a sweet sight. My current 1920 lacked one, but had been d/t'ed for it. My search for one proved fruitless, save for a bare base I located in Canada. I then fabricated a new slide for it. Lacking a screw-actuated cross slide, it nonetheless fills the bill. Since the pics were taken, I have replaced the lock screw with a large knurled knob.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Ray would toy with it, get the best out of it and go hunting..I go where no man has gone before!!

Ive never felt at odds ends over a low comb rifle for scope use, that's mostly in the mind of the beholder, If I can get a sight picture with a scope or irons that's good enough for a clean kill and easy enough to do..Most of my gun are set up for irons and used with scopes, works for me, but I was raised on old pre war model 70s and Rem 720,721 and 722s not to mention the lever guns, and never knew better thank goodness..

I do know for a fact the 250 kills out of proportion to its ballistic chart, even with factory ammo..I know this from use on internet garble and paper figures...Its a grand caliber suitable for deer and antelope under all conditions short of 1000 yard shooters. and at 200 yards will kill an elk as well as any caliber I have used on a broadside shot..Love the 250-3000, and remember its killed tigers, elk, Alaskan bear, sheep and that's all been documented..Its the bain of the big bore conferdreration however! beer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote