THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    75 gr. .257 Cal. Performance?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

75 gr. .257 Cal. Performance?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted
I shoot the .25-06 and would like some input pro and con on the 75 grain bullets. Accuracy and performance for summer varmint shooting are my objectives. currently loading the 85 gr. BT and the 87 gr. TNT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just finished up building a 25-06 and break in and R&D and using 58 gr H4831sc, a CCI250 and the 75 VMax, got several groups under .300 with the smallest being .110! Didn't chrony yet but with that kind of accuracy might stay with it! Did shoot 1 groundhog with it at about 200 yards on Wed and he was hit in the neck from left to right. Nearly severed the head and neck form the rest of him, turned him a good flip and set him back down with ample red mist! I also was getting .3's using 55 gr of Reloader 19 and the 85 grain BT which did chrony at 3655. It also shot .8 @200 and 1.12 @300. Will do a little more work with this load also! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
<mike elmer>
posted
I have been working up a load with 75 gr. V-Max for the past 2 years. It is not that the load is that hard to work up, but I was diverted by illness and subsequent passing of my wife. Some things are just more important.

Non-the-less, it is looking pretty promising. I am using IMR 3031 powder (I have a 24" bbl, thus the faster burning powder) and have been getting around 3600 fps over chrony. I should be albe to get it finished up by Memorial Day. That's when I officially start shooting groundhogs.

Good luck and Happy Hunting!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Winchester 25-06 brass I had the 75 V Max's going over 3800 with Reloader 19 from a 24 inch barrel. As an Improved with IMR-4350 it now clocks 3900+ Things just fall apart and it is extremely accurate even at .110 off the rifling. This is my pet load in my pet rifle and anything that is over 2 pounds that needs shot, this is what they get it with around here. I always have 100 rounds on hand just in case.

[ 04-01-2003, 08:54: Message edited by: Hired Gun ]

Posts: 149 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 75 VMAX in Bob, but prefer the 85 BT for best accuracy, and oddly enough, velocity. Go figure. Well, inside of 300 who would notice?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mike elmer, My sympathies are extended to you sir! Hope you get the rifle and load figured out! Try my recipe and see what happens! Where is Adamstown? I work for a company out of Jersey Shore and am up there 4-5 times a year, maybe we can try the 75's and 85's out sometime! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 56.0 grains of H-4350 with both the V-Max and the Sierra HP, which shoots a bit better out of my rifle. Max is supposedly 58.0 grains, but I beat 3500 fps out of a 22" barrel, so I am not complaining. The Hornady gets 3535, the Sierra gets 3590, from a sporter weight Savage, and group under 3/4". Too bad the BC is so low, but they sure do shoot! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Good luck to you.

Posts: 116 | Location: KY | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the V-max has a little accuracy edge in my .25-06 Sendero so far. I have shot the 85 Nos BT and I agree with the vel advantage which puzzled me too but I still haven't gotten a Nosler BT to shoot as well as a V-max in .22 or .25. Maybe some mental bias when I shoot who knows... I usually get my V-maxes to go in the mid 3700 range with 59 gr IMR 4831 from a 26" tube. Might try Re 19 to squeeze a little more juice out of it. Haven't shot enough of the Sierra 75 gr HPs yet to formulate an opinion about them. That's my couple of pennies.

Dog-duster

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote