THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Heaviest 6.5 bullet on varmints

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heaviest 6.5 bullet on varmints
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I'm going to be using a .260 rem for mid to maybe longer range coyote/fox/other hunting. I'm looking at the 95gr V max and 100gr Ballistic tip but I like the high BC of the heavier bullets like the Lapua for wind drift. Only thing is that I don't know how big I can go before the bullets just won't expand on targets of 20-70lbs. Anyone with experience on this. I can't see a shot ever getting beyond 500 yards (real world is 300 or less)but the wind is always willing to blow faster.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When it come to coyotes, I don't worry about it too much. I shoot a 6.5x284 and use either the 100 grain Ballistic tip for anything under 300 yards and the 142 grain Matchking at long distance. My personal best for coyotes right now is 732 yards.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shot on a coyote, Frank thumb

I like the 100BT for 'roos here in Oz, out of a 264 Win Mag. They always have shot better than the V-Max's.......

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the 95 grain VMax for shooting anything weighing less than 125+/- lbs. with my 260 and 6.5-284 rifles. I've even shot a few pdogs out to 400+/- yards with it on windy days and a few small whitetail does during Nebraska's January "late" doe season.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Has anyone shot any Berger VLD's?

Jeff,
Not to hijack the thread but I'm having a 260 built on an A-Bolt LH action. Are there any tricks I need to know about this caliber? I'll be loading up to 140 gr bullets.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I make all of my 260 cases from Winchester/Olin or Norma 243 brass and try to match the powder's burn rate to the weight of bullet that I'm shooting. I have had the best success with the 95 grain VMax, 129 grain SpirePoint, and 140 grain Partition.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:
I'm going to be using a .260 rem for mid to maybe longer range coyote/fox/other hunting. I'm looking at the 95gr V max and 100gr Ballistic tip but I like the high BC of the heavier bullets like the Lapua for wind drift. Only thing is that I don't know how big I can go before the bullets just won't expand on targets of 20-70lbs. Anyone with experience on this. I can't see a shot ever getting beyond 500 yards (real world is 300 or less)but the wind is always willing to blow faster.

The 120-grain is a good 6.5mm bullet for the game you listed. For any & all deer, I use a pointed 140-grainer. The Sierrq is plenty, even for the largest mulie alive. It is also a great caribou bullet. For anything larger than caribou, I would use a 160-grain roundnose. These are overkill for deer-I once witnessed a fellow kill two mulies with one of these bullets-it went through the buck he was aiming at, & killed a doe on the other side.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote