Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts casses
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
Frowner Found out yesterday that there had been a recent Manufacture of .257 cases at only 79 cents apiece. What a buy.
oldSo I cleaned off the dust from some 7X57 cases, resized to .257 ,trimmed , champhered, and reloaded them all. Felt a little nostalgia . They chambered nicely. Will shot them next week out of a Ruger Mod 77 Varmint I bought in 1972. Was a super sub MOA. Trying to see if it still will cut the mustard. Roll Eyesroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SURELY YOU have some 6mm Remington cases hiding behind the Model T now... Big Grin Wink 2020 lol

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used all my 257 cases making 7x57 cases and had to use the last of the 6mm rem's to make both 257 Bob's and 6.5x257's.
now I'm out of 6mm rem cases.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sucks when you shoot all the calibres + don't want to steal from yourself to case form.Fortunately (for now) all those are readily available.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had some virgin Herter's 7x57 cases, and had a .257 but no 7x57. One pass through the FL die made fine Roberts loads.

Now I have a 7x57 (on the way in), and no .257. It seems that my foresight is severely lacking -- I should have anticipated this situation 45 years ago when I was necking down that 7x57 brass.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Years ago I had some virgin Herter's 7x57 cases, and had a .257 but no 7x57. One pass through the FL die made fine Roberts loads.

Now I have a 7x57 (on the way in), and no .257. It seems that my foresight is severely lacking -- I should have anticipated this situation 45 years ago when I was necking down that 7x57 brass.

How bout E-Mailing me your Home Address?
Smilerbartsche@sbcglobal.net
claproger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both a 257 Ackley and a 7x57 Win. mod. 70, I had about 200 7x57 nickel Rem cases I had never used..Don't really like nickel cases as they are hard to resize, need a cheater bar..Anyway I ran them through my 257 Robts die, loaded them up with a max 257 load and fire formed them in the Ackley..CAme out beautiful and they are smoother thru the 257 Ackley die, probably because all the taper is out of them...

sine they are nickel I won't ever get them mixed with by 7x57 brass.

I wish WW, PPU, or some good brass outfit would come out with 257 and 250 new brass, its strange they don't since it would be so easy to produce them, they have the set up with the 6mm, 7mm, etc.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish WW, PPU, or some good brass outfit would come out with 257 and 250 new brass, its strange they don't since it would be so easy to produce them, they have the set up with the 6mm, 7mm, etc.

As I understand it, the brass manufacturers have a limited number of drawing-forming machines. It apparently takes some bit of time and labor to change the dies on a machine from producing one case to another. So long as they have enough demand in the more popular calibers to keep the machines reasonably busy they don't want to go to the time and trouble to shut down production of, say, .308, to produce a limited amount of .257 Roberts or .250 Savage.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Behind the model T you would find .244 Remington cases...!!! Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think WW just made a run of 257 brass..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I think WW just made a run of 257 brass..

Really? How would I find out where to order them? I'm about to make my own out of somenew 7 X 57 brass. Prefer to buy them than make them.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midway?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midsouth

Clarence

Posts: 303 | Location: Hill Country, TX | Registered: 26 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:

Frowner SAD!!! faintroger

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Ye Sir sad state of production-
Fortunately , I have enough stashed for my own use and hopefully my two sons.

BTW, my favorite for fire forming the AI was Winchester (least favorite Remington) until I got a batch of Jamison,
that particular batch is great (have heard other less stellar reviews)
Also have had decent luck with Qual Cart and Norma

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always favored Remington for the AI cases.
Winchesters took 2 formings to get good fill out.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not found the winchester cases for sale. I did buy a case of loaded hornady from Target sports.

Posts: 1293 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After spending the last 40 years using reloads almost exclusively and buying only components to build them with, I found myself in a 'situation' in 2016. It looked as if Hitlery was a shoe-in and I knew she would immediately start an all out effort to hurt us 2nd Amendment folks in any and every way she could. As an ardent shooter of 257Bob, 7X57, 8X57, and 9X57, I suddenly realized how low my stockpile of brass for those rounds were.

When I checked my usual sources to resupply my stash, I found that NO ONE had any brass in stock. Seems everyone was ahead of me and had bought it all up. I form my 9X57 from 8mm brass and can, if needed, form 257 from 7X57.

After getting advice from users of PPU/PRVI brass, I stocked up on a large supply of 7X57 and 8X57 ammo because their loaded ammo was only slightly more expensive than USA made brass.

I was quite surprised to find out how good the ammo's quality turned out to be. Both the 7mm and 8mm was very accurate although somewhat anemic in the velocity department. And the brass sees to be at least equal to US stuff. Instead of just burning it up to reload, I have been hunting with it and have no qualms about it's terminal performance.

So, If using 7X57 PPU ammo can be benedicial to you, it can also be a good inexpensive source of 257R brass as well. YMMV!

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG Ammo has PPU 7x57 ammo for .70/rd shipped. I just ordered a bunch using Hook's rational of shooting it in my 7x57's and then having the makings of Bob brass.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My stock shows 4,457 257 Roberts brand new cases clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68778 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

CRYBABY
I'm jealous!

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds to me like you better get busy and get some shooting done. archer

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10167 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

Sounds to me like you better get busy and get some shooting done. archer

We load and shoot over 200 cartridges.

We have several wildcats that use the 7x57 parent case.

We shoot every single day we are home clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68778 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine said he found some WW 257 plus P brass and if anyone can find it. he can, I got 5 boxes from him about two months or better ago and he called the other day and said he found some more from a distributor who had just received it and how many did I want, I said 100 to whatever I could get, in the meantime the distributor sold out..so he said next time he would buy it then call me..As to 7x57. 8x57 brass is not hard to find, I like PPU brass as well as any brass Ive used and its not expensive..I buy what I need from Grafs or Midway..sometimes locally.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,in my case ,after mucho years of loading I don't think I'm in any problem of running out of brass.Both 257 Roberts + 7x57 along with others.As to the plethora of 375 H+H cases + bullets that I will most likely never use again (rifles too)I have no idea.When I die,someone is going to go ballistic (sorry) in my loading room.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found .257 Bob +P brass available from Black Hills.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote