Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284 Norma Question
 Login/Join

posted
If one rebarreled a bolt action rifle chambered in one of the 30-06 family of cartridges to 6.5x284 Norma, would the magazine rails need to be widened slightly to work with the slightly wider case? I know that the case heads are the same dimension - I'm basically wondering if it is simply a rebarrel job or if the action would need to be worked on. It would be on a long action that did not have a removeable magazine such as a CZ 550, Mauser 98 clone, or Ruger Hawkeye. Thanks.

Posts: 16 | Location: The mountains of Utah | Registered: 16 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get a definitive answer to this same question when I decided to rebarrel a M700 Remington this spring, so I decided on a 6.5-06 because I wanted it to feed properly.

This rifle feeds 6.5-06 just slick, and is shooting about 1" at 200 yds with a 95 gr VMax as I work up loads. I'm not exagerating.

Just my opinion, mostly based on lack of an affirmative answer, that some work needs to be done with the magazine to make the .284 case work properly on an 06 donor action.
Shotgun

Posts: 111 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It really just depends on the donor rifle as the rails are different on all of them. I understand that the conversion can be done easily without feed rail/box modification on a Remington 700. I have never done it on a 700. I CAN tell you that when I did it on my 98 I did have to do considerable rail work to make it feed from both sides of the box, but it was not so bad as to make me not want to do it again. It would be a perfect conversion for an intermediate mauser, IMHO.

Hope it helps.

I also did as Shotgun31 did and had a 6.5-06 (except the AI version) and I like it better. If I was to do that again, I would skip the AI.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larrys is correct -- it will vary with which action is used. Mostly, .30-06 actions require little or no feed rail work. I have a friend who owns a custom FN Mauser chambered for .25-284. I don't believe any work was done on its feed rails, but even if they did require very slight widening, it feeds flawlessly. I would not back away from building a 6.5-284 simply because of fear of feed rail issues.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine built a 6.5-284 on a Win Model 70 (post 64, push feed action) and it did not require any rail modifications to feed properly.

Barstooler

Posts: 876 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I did a 6mmm-284 on a Tang model Ruger M77...no mods necessary and it feeds like greased owl schat.

Also a long throated Rem 700 in 284 Win long with nary a problem.

Both LA and SA Savage receivers needed a slight bending out of the very end of the mag lips to get both the WSM, RUM and 284 cases to feed.

I also didn't need any for mods on a OEM 8mm M98 for the WSW, 284 or 9,3x62mm cases.

It just depends on the OEM case and receiver.

You might need a new follower or the OEM follower re-shaped.

Luck

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I very frequently rebarrel M700s to 6.5x284 & nothing needs to be done to the rails.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I took a Montana Rifle Co short action and had it chambered in 6.5x284 without touching the feed rails and had no issues with it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote