THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Prolly should have gone to church....

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prolly should have gone to church....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Prolly should have gone to church

As it seemed this poor sinner was getting what he deserved at the range.

May have to switch to Mondays.

I always shoot over a chronograph when load testing. My idea is its kinda hard to decide what load when you don’t have a clue about velocity.

Shooting light is at 8 AM. I get there about 7:15 in order to get set up before shooting light, that way no-one has to wait on me.
It was a beautiful morning. Cool, crisp and absolutely no wind. So I start setting up.

222 Rem., 223 Rem., 6BR, 6-284, 257 AI

Good to go there

First premonition of the way the day is gonna go…….

I foget my target dots. Oh well, got a black marker so all is not lost.

Set up targets at 25 yds for sight in and 100 yds for groups.

Since I had to use a marker to make my target dots its now about 8:15. However I still have the range all to myself.

Recently, the powers-that-be have instituted a new rule. First person there is the rangemaster. That makes me the neighborhood cop. Bummer.

Decide I’ll shoot the 6-284 first.

25 yds.
Sight down the bore. First shot, two inches down and an inch to the right, so I place the crosshairs back at the POA and crank to the bullet hole. Fire again. Good deal, two shots to get on paper.
Back to 100 yds.

Well now all hell breaks loose. Here comes a flood of folks. Every darn one of them newbies with AR’s. And none of them have brass catchers. Like tryin’ to organize kindergarteners.

From that point on it was a steady stream of folk showing up every 15 minutes, calling the range cold, explaining that they gotta rack semi-autos while the bolt guns just have to remove the bolt. Gotta have eye protection, ear protection, no rapid fire on the bench rest range. No don’t look down the barrel or point your firearm at anyone. Sheesh.

Then the wind comes up around 9:30 and is soon gusting at +/- 15 mph. During the melee, I fired eight 3 shot groups and one 5 shot group between 8:30 AM and noon. Seven with the 6-284 and two with the 223 Rem. Didn’t get to shoot the others
Was not very impressed with my shooting, but was surprised at how much faster the IMR 4350 was in comparison to IMR 4831 with the same bullets.

This load has worked for me in several other 223 Rem’s

I believe this Cooper has potential.

Oh well, even a mediocre day at the range and some trigger time helps alleviate the symptoms of SDD (Shooting Deficit Disorder).

I think I need to go kill something soon, however.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
W - that's why I take Mondays as my day off! Big Grin Clean-livin' only gets you so far, especially when there's fools to babysit. old

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
My worst range day was when I shot my chronograph... Actually, I've shot two of them now and have decided I'm too much of an idiot to use one in the future...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just got a good taste of why many ranges are outlawing Rambo Jr and his platform.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee-Dubya,

..... well, always a better day than spending it at the office.

The weather appears wonderful compared to the gray, cold, damp drizzle that we're having here.

Nice velocity outa the 6-284 w/100 gr. Nosler Partitions.

..... remember the Target Dots next time. Those scriggles look like a 4-year old gone wild with their coloring book!

Big Grin

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerry:
Those scriggles look like a 4-year old gone wild with their coloring book!

Big Grin

No doubt.

See signature line. Never said I could draw, just kill stuff.

Also,
It's a right hander's world. You righties get to pull a pencil. Us lefties push one.
Chances are, you don't liked to be pushed. Neither does a pencil or a marker. Plus you usually smear with the heel of your hand as you go west.

Se la Vie.

Best,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Us lefties push one.

"Us" is the operative word; me too, Bless you.

Wink

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Prolly should have gone to church? What kind of range do you have at the church? Who is the rangemaster there? By all means what type church has a range?

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,
you need to come shoot over at Bayou Rifles. You won't have to shoot under the wood at our place!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,
You didn't shoot very well because you didn't have any dimes to shoot at. jumping

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is Prolly, is she your wife?

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or it might be that the mixing of the types of beer (as evidenced by the different caps) had something to do with it??? shocker

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We have the same problem at our range with the AR folks. Wished that our range people could put them on their own section to shoot,away from us bolt action/double rifle folks. Would make it a lot nicer. Just my two cents worth!

posted Hide Post
i always have to go to church first then i hit the range. the ar boys are out of ammo by the time i get there.
the only problem all you have the matches on Sunday and i never get to go to any. I would not give up my church or my shooting and i sure am not complaining cause when you are working on a really good day i can go all by my self.
preacher Jim

Posts: 14 | Location: missouri | Registered: 27 July 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or it might be that the mixing of the types of beer (as evidenced by the different caps) had something to do with it???

And you call ME a redneck! I didn't even notice the beer caps! Big Grin

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I can top that. Three old guys arrive and I noticed one sweep his buddies with his rifle. I let it go. Go down range, as I come back same guy is hunkered over his rifle. I approach and start giving him a lecture about gun safety. These guys are old and experienced enough to know better so I don't cut him any slack. Suddenly the oldest, largest one, about 6'5" and about 75 years old stands up and takes a swing at me, I duck and he barely misses, the other two restrain him. Now I'm pretty sure I can whoop a 75 year old even if he is 6'5" but I don't really want to do that. Next hour is spent filling out incident reports, consulting with range offices, etc. Board does nothing because he has been a member forever but so have I. Stupidest waste of a morning I have ever experienced.

Suwannee Tim

Posts: 140 | Location: Way down upon the Suwannee River. | Registered: 02 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alleyyooper
posted Hide Post
Two good things for me and then some. Range is always empty when I get there any day any hour of the week. Not a long walk either since it is 30 yards out my back door.
How ever even the state run ranges don't put up with AR people you load a single round at a time even if you have huge clips. The sportsman's clubs did that many years ago when auto loaders started becoming poplar.
No brass catcher NO SHOOTY too.

Big Grin Al

Garden View Apiaries where the view is as sweet as the honey.

Posts: 505 | Location: Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That range looks VERY familiar and with "Pearland" for your location, I am sure we belong to the same club.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
never a mistake going to church!

No matter where you go or what you do there you are! Yes tis true and tis pity but pity tis, tis true.

one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JDA-CO:
My worst range day was when I shot my chronograph... Actually, I've shot two of them now and have decided I'm too much of an idiot to use one in the future...

Had the same problem (with flying sabots). Get a MagnetoSpeed. If you can keep from shooting
yourself in the foot, you can keep from shooting one of these! Wink

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote